PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Want a fresh install

hunkerdown
May 3rd, 2010, 01:31 AM
I'm trying to do a fresh install of 10.04 on a Compaq Presario 2100 (AMD Athlon) that is currently loaded with Ubuntu 7.04. I'm running into the same problems as http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470089. I've gotten into the Bios and tried changing the boot sequence to the CD (multiple times) but no success.

I'm a total newb with Ubuntu so please forgive such a basic question.

Can I format my hard drive and start clean? There is nothing on the laptop worth saving so I'm OK with wiping it clean.

Thanks much

anewguy
May 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM
I don't know if I can help or not, but I'm willing to at least try. There are some things we need to know first:

- did you check the md5sum against the ISO image you downloaded to be sure the ISO image downloaded correctly?

- did you burn the ISO as an image, not as a data disk?

- could you please give us step by step what you are doing, starting at putting the CD in the drive and rebooting - what keys are you pressing, what messages are you getting, do you select an option that says to boot from CD - we need it all

- did you try the suggestions in the link you posted?

- are you having the +/- key problems as in the link you posted?

With that info, we'll try to go from there.

Dave ;)

hunkerdown
May 4th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I've downloaded 10.04 again, did md5sum on the download and the burned CD. All is well.

Restarted the laptop and my choices are Esc or F2. Both eventually get me to the BIOS. Make changes in the booting order but it is ignored. I get an option to boot from LAN even if I move it in the list order.

Suggestions appreciated.

nhasian
May 4th, 2010, 01:25 AM
after you make the changes in the bios, make sure to save before exiting! i remember some months ago we were trying to help a user and after 3 pages of suggestions it was discovered they werent saving the changes to the bios.

also on another note you should go to your manufacturer's website and download the latest bios for your laptop before installing a new operating system. after installing the new bios you must enter the bios and choose "load optimal defaults"

madjr
May 4th, 2010, 03:59 PM
http://blog.ibeentoubuntu.com/2010/05/unscrewing-your-failed-ubuntu-1004.html

hunkerdown
May 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM
After repeats at changing the boot sequence in the bios and I finally got it to work.

Have loaded 10.04 and also updated it.

Now there is something else wrong, all activity is very slow.

Thanks for the help