PDA

View Full Version : Motorola Dext/Droind depending what side of the pond you are from!

doomdragon
May 2nd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone who has a motorola Dext/droid find it annoying that you can't receive files over bluetooth without downloading the Bluetooth file Transfer App from Android Market place? I downloaded it and I still can't get my Dext to receive files from my missus blackberry 8250 curve! wondered if anyone had any advice or anybody else that is frustrated that such a basic feature does not come as standard!?

jw5801
May 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone who has a motorola Dext/droid find it annoying that you can't receive files over bluetooth without downloading the Bluetooth file Transfer App from Android Market place? I downloaded it and I still can't get my Dext to receive files from my missus blackberry 8250 curve! wondered if anyone had any advice or anybody else that is frustrated that such a basic feature does not come as standard!?

Yes it's a little annoying. There's also no stock file browser, terminal emulator, process manager, calculator, etc, etc. So long as you can get them from the market it's not too big a deal.

Given the open source nature of android it's better this way. You don't want google spending their resources building these apps when they could spend them making the underlying OS better, and third parties can create these apps for you.

And FYI, the Dext is the same as the Cliq, not the Droid. The Droid is called the Milestone everywhere other than in the americas.

doomdragon
May 3rd, 2010, 12:04 AM
And FYI, the Dext is the same as the Cliq, not the Droid. The Droid is called the Milestone everywhere other than in the americas.I wasn't aware of that! lol I'm often ill informed no matter how hard i research the facts!

I'm overall impressed with Android system it's functional and sleek I love it but to me it's a fairly basic feature now-a-days that is expected of mobile phones to be able to send files via bluetooth I know google couldn't include everything but you would have thought that motorola would have got someone to program those features in in-house. no matter how hard with the Bluetooth File Transfer app I downloaded I still can not get my phone to receive a file from the blackberry curve just a bit of a shame because bluetooth is a feature I expect to be able to just use, but hey hopefully this situation may be addressed in future updates from Motorola?

jw5801
May 3rd, 2010, 04:29 AM
I wasn't aware of that! lol I'm often ill informed no matter how hard i research the facts!

I'm overall impressed with Android system it's functional and sleek I love it but to me it's a fairly basic feature now-a-days that is expected of mobile phones to be able to send files via bluetooth I know google couldn't include everything but you would have thought that motorola would have got someone to program those features in in-house. no matter how hard with the Bluetooth File Transfer app I downloaded I still can not get my phone to receive a file from the blackberry curve just a bit of a shame because bluetooth is a feature I expect to be able to just use, but hey hopefully this situation may be addressed in future updates from Motorola?

The Dext only runs Android 1.6, so it's quite possibly already there in the more recent versions of Android. I'll check on my Desire once I get it back. Bluetooth is one of the things I didn't trial before I had hardware troubles and had to invoke the warranty :(.

doomdragon
May 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
thanks for the pointers and thanks for taking the time for your input, just hope bluetooth support does get added as I never really thought about it until I realised that actually I really do depend on it in one way or another even if it isn't the fastest wireless tech!

jw5801
May 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah, it's fairly useful. You mention file transfer not being there without a third-party addition, what about pairing the phone with a bluetooth headset, or another slave device?

doomdragon
May 5th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Well I don't have a headset really I suppose i could try connecting to PC via dongle. i still tried to send a music file via the Bluetooth Transfer app from my g/F phone but doesn't work still just won't connect although it will pair. According to the destructions I found on a blog you have to break into root by downloading a rom file otherwise it won't work? I'm really not sure it's worth that much hassle really! lol

jw5801
May 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Well I don't have a headset really I suppose i could try connecting to PC via dongle. i still tried to send a music file via the Bluetooth Transfer app from my g/F phone but doesn't work still just won't connect although it will pair. According to the destructions I found on a blog you have to break into root by downloading a rom file otherwise it won't work? I'm really not sure it's worth that much hassle really! lol

Hmm... seems you do need root access to be able to receive files from anywhere. Security issues mean you have to make the phone rather a bit less secure in order to do it.

If the other device gives you permission to do so (which it should be able to do) you'll be able to browse the other device and copy files across that way.