PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wanting to dual boot (?) XP/Ubuntu on a HP Mini 1000

desoloamour
May 2nd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Hi Everyone! I'm wanting to dual boot (I think it's called dual boot) my HP Mini 1000 with XP and Ubuntu. The XP is just so I can work with my iphone so it won't get a whole lot of use. The Mini doesn't have a CD drive and I don't have a flash drive. Is there any way to install ubuntu without either of those?

Now I'm not an big techy but my friend dual boots his laptop and I love being on his ubuntu. Is there anyone who could help me?

linuxman94
May 2nd, 2010, 09:15 PM
If you want to install ubuntu on your mini, you have to get either an external cd drive or a flash drive of at least 1 gigabyte. You should be able to get one pretty cheap. With the newest version of ubuntu, 10.04, the iPhone works a lot better but a dual boot will be good just in case it doesn't work.

desoloamour
May 2nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
If you want to install ubuntu on your mini, you have to get either an external cd drive or a flash drive of at least 1 gigabyte. You should be able to get one pretty cheap. With the newest version of ubuntu, 10.04, the iPhone works a lot better but a dual boot will be good just in case it doesn't work.

Thanks linuxman94 I figured I'd need a really big flash drive but if that's all I'll need I might just run to walmart. Is there a set of instructions to install it using a flash? I'm also not sure how I need to dual boot are there instructions you know off hand?

Kegusa
May 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
There's also the possibility if you have a wired conection to use these methods listed here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/NetbootInstallFromInternet

I used that approach on a old laptop with no USB booting and defective CD-ROM drive. Worked great for me atleast. This was using 8.10 I think, but I think they have updated it for the latest versions.

mikewhatever
May 2nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
There is a lot of information, don't rush it, get familiar with the concepts, explore, enjoy. perhaps ask you friend to help. :popcorn:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ubuntu+dual+boot

desoloamour
May 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM
Well I decided not to dual boot since this silly hing only has 16GB Harddrive, So I have gone and bought a 4GB flash drive and, made it bootable with the ubuntu files (with the ubuntu instructions). But when I try to boot it says:

UNetBooting (at the top)

Help
???? (For manufacturers)

I tried all options but none would make it boot and now I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?

linuxman94
May 5th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Did you open unetbootin and direct it to the iso to install to the flash drive?