PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu wont all me to use disk only!

Rocktot
May 2nd, 2010, 08:57 PM
I want to use Ubuntu and Firefox for online safety, and I got it to load up the screen, its purple, and allows me to F1, F5 etc, and scroll down to 5 choices, one is "run without installing", check memory etc,

When I hit 'Enter'., the disk spins,the light goes on, but it wont bring up the program, this is in "Work from Disk" in the F12 menu (not what it says).

I am running WnXP on an older Dell Pentium with 700+ memory

ALSO: When I burned it to disk, it takes up the whole thing, and I want to use firefox from the disk, so do I just install that first, to the disk>?

WiReIs
May 2nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
10.04 comes with firefox browser included in packages. if you dont want to change any settings on your existing OS click on live CD without system changes

P.S to boot from CD you need to press and hold "ESC"

Rocktot
May 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks, but I did not see an option for "Live CD without any Changes".

I push F12,
Boot from CD rom
F1
Purple screen comes up with little people icons at bottom
Press ESC and or Enter
Ubuntu menu comes up with 2 worded options and F1-F6 at bottom of screen

I try "Try Ubuntu without installing" , the first one, nothing happens

Whats I doing wrongo?:guitar:

sixthwheel
May 2nd, 2010, 09:48 PM
You must have a defective disk.
Try downloading the ISO again, and try to burn the disk at a slower speed.

Rocktot
May 2nd, 2010, 09:56 PM
I burned at 12x, it was pretty slow, the disk does show the files. So Ubuntu should run when I click on "Run without Installing" or whatever? :confused:

I maen, I am getting the Ubuntu "start page", just some files are not working?

oldfred
May 2nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Some video modes require special settings. Try f6 and try some of the choices.

WiReIs
May 2nd, 2010, 10:08 PM
-You need to put the CD in your CDrom
-dont autorun or open files/folders on CD
-restart computer
-press and hold "esc" when reboot screen appears on start up
-select boot from CD/DVD rom
-Ubuntu will then boot up from CD
-Menu will appear once Live CD has booted up requesting to install or play live CD or check disc etc

if you dont want to change your existing OS select the Live CD option and it will boot Ubuntu from Live CD, you can then use firefox web browser by clicking on the firefox icon on top left of pane or go to Applications>Internet>Firefox

Rocktot
May 2nd, 2010, 10:51 PM
Ok, I do not get the 'Boot from CD' option, it just goes from
Dell start page (f2 f12 option)

Then I have to press F1/ Enter to start my Windows (I Fed up the install so the old install is supposedly there, but its not, its just a second
"option")

In Bios, 3 options for booting are 'checked' yes, so it should be able to boot from CD??????

CDs do NOT auto start, should auto start be 'On'?

mechro
May 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
The CD has "started"... your BIOS settings, Dell options are not the problem.

Try oldfred's suggestion about the video mode.

As sixthwheel suggests you could still have a faulty disc. Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded Ubuntu iso file and did you do a similar check of the burned CD?

Rocktot
May 2nd, 2010, 11:57 PM
I cannot change the boot sequence in the BIOS. I can select, or deselct, but the IDE CD ROM drive is last in order.

When I deselect everything but the cd rom, and boot from it, I get the same results.

I can get a purple Ubuntu screen with 5 options, but when selected they will not run. Im thinking its the CD and I need to order, or something on the computer.:confused:

Rocktot
May 2nd, 2010, 11:59 PM
As sixthwheel suggests you could still have a faulty disc. Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded Ubuntu iso file and did you do a similar check of the burned CD?

No, I need to try that I think

Rocktot
May 3rd, 2010, 12:31 AM
Ah, ok, here is my system, I cannot use the - or + key to move sequense, that is the problem.

Could this be a keyboard issue? I am thinking try an old keyboard, not USB keyboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5DeLLXd5gs

WiReIs
May 3rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
Possibly yes try the other keyboard to see if that works.

if not, does your up&down keys not move the IDE CD-Rom drive to the top of the booting list

also ive noticed two - & + keys on my keyboard

on key "P" if you press and hold "Fn" and "P" = -

on key ";:" press and hold "Fn" and ";:" = +

Rocktot
May 3rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
Up and Down key just moves the 'Select', and you can only Select or Deselect. I hope its the friggin keyboard.

WiReIs
May 3rd, 2010, 01:10 AM
did you try "Fn" and "p" = -
"Fn and ";:" = +

or

"shift" & "-"
"shift" & "+"

your keyboard config is probably totally different than mine though, i use UK winkeys config

Rocktot
May 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM
Ok, the keyboard worked but it doesnt matter, it will not boot. I am getting a disk off ebay, as that is my option now. OR should i order one from UBUNTU? It may be safer, me thinks?