PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What's your experience with HDMI output like?

diablo75
May 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
I've never connected my PC to a TV via HDMI and I am on the verge of building a new machine with the intention of doing just that. Does it "just work" like the easy of install goes with things like a PS3 or do I have to do some tweaking to get things to work right?

Just curious in advanced.

WiReIs
May 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Should work without any modifications, you may encounter what they call as a "shadowing/ghosting" effect which you need to adjust the pixel alignment settings via your TV

diablo75
May 3rd, 2010, 05:55 AM
What if an expansion video card is being used? Will video continue to feed via an on-board HDMI port if the on-board video is not actually rendering the video directly?

diablo75
May 4th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Bump.

alan_tam_sh
May 4th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I've never connected my PC to a TV via HDMI and I am on the verge of building a new machine with the intention of doing just that. Does it "just work" like the easy of install goes with things like a PS3 or do I have to do some tweaking to get things to work right?

Just curious in advanced.

Depends on what graphic card you are using, I am using GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i the video support is okay on HDMI ready TV but there is no sound support despite I chose to set the hardward to Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output nothing comes out from the speakers.

Ocxic
May 4th, 2010, 05:42 AM
alan, there might be an audio header in the gfx card, check for that. (note: with 10.04 my friends HDMI audio stopped working for some reason so there might be a correlation there)

generally on board gfx are disabled when a agp/pci/pcie gfx card is installed.