PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should have waited to upgrade to 10.04

Kangaroo_Style
May 2nd, 2010, 03:32 PM
Computer was running fine under 9.10. Now I have a problem with PulseAudio that says, "Waiting for sound system to respond"

And to top it off, I have some ICE error when I try to login.

Not to mention my Rhythmbox still isn't working since the upgrade.

10.04 has been a bigger pain than it's worth...

sadaruwan12
May 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Computer was running fine under 9.10. Now I have a problem with PulseAudio that says, "Waiting for sound system to respond"

And to top it off, I have some ICE error when I try to login.

Not to mention my Rhythmbox still isn't working since the upgrade.

10.04 has been a bigger pain than it's worth...

Did you do a clean install or a upgrade through the upgrade manager ?

Kangaroo_Style
May 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Did you do a clean install or a upgrade through the upgrade manager ?

Went through the upgrade manager.

Luckily for me I still have sound in Skype, and I can voice/video chat. Which is essential for me right now.

1. I cannot adjust volume, due not being able to access sound menu through > preferences > sound
2. I cannot use Rhythmbox (I just switched to Banshee and that works great, but it's just a work around instead of a solution) [Solved] - (sudo cp /usr/lib/libtotem-plparser.so /usr/lib/libtotem-plparser.so.12) Fixed the problem.
3. Now I get some ICE error, that I've never had before.

I've been going through old threads where people have had the same problem and tried deleting the .pulse folder, and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pulseaudio to no avail.

madjr
May 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
i always try the live-cd or installing to a new partition (keeping both versions)

never had a problem when i do this or just use the older, till an update fixes the problem

you should probably reinstall 10.04 from cd, seems like a bad install. remember to backup

Kangaroo_Style
May 2nd, 2010, 04:03 PM
i always try the live-cd and another partition

you should probably reinstall 10.04 from cd, remember to backup

Yeah, I think that's the next step. Luckily, I was able to configure Skype to still work. However I don't have the means to get an external hard drive at the moment to back everything up. But this just goes to show that it's an investment I need to make soon.

sadaruwan12
May 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Went through the upgrade manager.

Luckily for me I still have sound in Skype, and I can voice/video chat. Which is essential for me right now.

1. I cannot adjust volume, due not being able to access sound menu through > preferences > sound
2. I cannot use Rhythmbox (I just switched to Banshee and that works great, but it's just a work around instead of a solution) [Solved] - (sudo cp /usr/lib/libtotem-plparser.so /usr/lib/libtotem-plparser.so.12) Fixed the problem.
3. Now I get some ICE error, that I've never had before.

I've been going through old threads where people have had the same problem and tried deleting the .pulse folder, and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pulseaudio to no avail.

Could you tell what is your ICE error and I used 9.10 earlier what I did I just cleaned installed every thing. It advised to do a clean installation when you're migrating to a newer OS.

Try to do a clean installation cos it also create a new hardware profile and might solve your issue.

lidex
May 2nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=949750