PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] new nvidia drivers don't show up

moveright
May 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
I just upgraded to lynx but my nvidia drivers only say "173" and "recommended" as the two options. no idea which version the "recommended" one is but that's what is enabled. I did an update but still it does not show the 195 drivers that I thought I read were shipping with lucid.

Linuxforall
May 2nd, 2010, 03:19 PM
Usually recommended is the nvidia-current which means latest, in my case it installed 196.36.15 which if not latest is fairly new, quite a refreshing change as usually Ubuntu would install old drivers by default.

moveright
May 2nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Usually recommended is the nvidia-current which means latest, in my case it installed 196.36.15 which if not latest is fairly new, quite a refreshing change as usually Ubuntu would install old drivers by default.

well, I ended up manually installing the 195 drivers from a tutorial in these forums somewhere. I thought I read that a lot of times, the recommended drivers were not updated.

oh well, works now. that was freaky manually installing the drivers though. I'm pretty comfortable with linux at this point (been a couple months since I replaced windows) but all this "sudo this" and "/etc/that" sort of puts it in the "too much trouble" category.

how do I look and see what driver I am running with my video card? when I went to admin>hardware drivers it says that no proprietary drivers are running. is that ok or did I just screw everything up with the manual install?

mc4man
May 2nd, 2010, 04:25 PM
how do I look and see what driver I am running
If you have nvidia-settings installed then just open it - will be displayed on default screen.
or from cli

nvidia-settings -q NvidiaDriverVersion