PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Periodically Freezes, but can still hover mouse over icons, etc.

UnknownFear
May 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
I am not sure why this happens, but every so often, Ubuntu will freeze and not let me do anything, yet I can still hover my mouse over icons and they will react as if I was over them, but I can't select things. Sometimes, it will let me TAB to an option and it will work, but most times I have to physically shut down the computer and boot it back up. Can someone tell me why this happens if it's even known?

madjr
May 2nd, 2010, 03:09 PM
could be the hardware

you have any other distro or OS installed, so you can compare

when did this start?

HermanAB
May 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hmmm, umpteen reasons...

It can be a bad power supply, bad keyboard, blown capacitors on the motherboard, bad memory, inadequate cooling due to a seized fan or dirt in the CPU heat sink, a bad interrupt controller...

Try to boot with something else (eg BartPE or Knoppix) and see whether it works properly - if so then the problem is not hardware.

Open the case and look for distended capacitors - if there are, buy a new mother board. If you have a spare PSU in your junk box, try it. If the case is dirty, use a vacuum cleaner. If some fan doesn't work, get a new one...

UnknownFear
May 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
could be the hardware

you have any other distro or OS installed, so you can compare

when did this start?

I can't really say when it started. I used to have Ubuntu installed before and every so often, it would freeze on me, but I could still move the mouse around and roll-over icons and stuff, but I couldn't select anything. The only OS I have installed besides Ubuntu is Windows 7 Pro and it is perfectly fine.