PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Yea!!!! I did it!!

Georgia boy
May 2nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
I did the bittorrent and created the Live CD. Went to try first, tried out and then did the install. Complete erase and use entire disk! Windows free!
Did a long screen of all kinds of errors though when I did the cd removal and restart. Had to force down and then when came back up came to Log in screen. Logged in and got into Ubuntu with no problems. Did another reboot and had no problems then either. I see that I am going to have some fun getting used to the new Lucid Lynx. have to find Thunderbird and get it installed also. Will take a bit getting used to the new way of doing things here. But, I just wanted to thank everyone for their answers to me and also for the information that I found in the forums as how to do this.

Thanks everyone!!

Tom(A happy camper so far.)

ajk95
May 2nd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Congrats!

tsp_2177
congrats on the switch! two of my 3 computers are now windows free! my gaming laptop is the only one thats left that has vista on it and i wouldn't have windows on it if i didn't have to use it for school work (sometimes openoffice just makes my concept map word documents that my teachers send back to me look weird so i need office unfortunately sometimes.) doesn't it feel good to be windows free though?

FoxMcCloudwp
Good to hear! Ubuntu Lucid is running great on my PC so far :)

ajk95
May 2nd, 2010, 05:55 AM
congrats on the switch! two of my 3 computers are now windows free! my gaming laptop is the only one thats left that has vista on it and i wouldn't have windows on it if i didn't have to use it for school work (sometimes openoffice just makes my concept map word documents that my teachers send back to me look weird so i need office unfortunately sometimes.) doesn't it feel good to be windows free though?
I know that this is sort of off-topic, but while I do admit to still using Windows 7 and MS Office on my laptop, you could run Office with WINE. Just sayin'.

cdmike2k8
May 2nd, 2010, 05:55 AM

One alternative I have gone with is a Virtual windows through virtualbox-ose. The windows I have installed this way seems to actually fun faster than native windows installs IMO.

tsp_2177
May 2nd, 2010, 05:59 AM
hmm that might actually work guys i'll have to look into all that and make sure that i don't need windows for any other programs and i may just by ubuntu only maybe... you can run Office 2007 with WINE?

ajk95
May 2nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Good to hear! Ubuntu Lucid is running great on my PC so far :)
I installed Lucid on two older machines today (my desktop and my dad's old laptop). The laptop is about five years old and the desktop is about 10 or 11. Both work (almost) flawlessly and (more importantly) are fast. It's just as fast as Windows 7 on my own laptop (which I got brand-new in September '09). Wow. Karmic wouldn't even install on the desktop, but Lucid is awesome.

Rasa1111
May 2nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Congrats Tom!! :D

thats awesome man,
i recently went full out Ubuntu as well, about 5-6 months ago and will never go back. lol
both my pc's are now virus (windows) free, and i couldnt be happier.

I have Karmic still running on one, and my main box is now Lucid.
Both are , and have been , just amazing!

Ubuntu rocks. <3

Seti
May 2nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
If you still need some Windows stuff around you can always set them up in virtual machines... I recommend VirtualBox from Sun, its awesome.
Go into Synaptic and look for VirtualBox-3.1 and install that.

WinterRain
May 2nd, 2010, 06:15 AM
I know that this is sort of off-topic, but while I do admit to still using Windows 7 and MS Office on my laptop, you could run Office with WINE. Just sayin'.

Office 2003 definitely works great, and as far as I know, Word 07 and Excel 07 work well with the latest wine. Try it and find out.

anewguy
May 2nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
*IF* you decide to try VirtualBox, do yourself a favor and go to the Sun/Oracle site and download the PUEL version and install it - don't install the OSE version. The Open Source Edition does not have USB device support - you need the non-open source (but still free) PUEL version to be able to use USB devices other than your keyboard and mouse.

Just saying it could save a little aggravation.

Dave ;)

Georgia boy
May 2nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Thank you everyone for the vote of confidence. I do have one question already though. I thought that I remember reading in the forums where when you open Firefox you have Yahoo as the search? I still show Google or was I misreading something somehow?

Thanks
Tom

Rasa1111
May 2nd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Thank you everyone for the vote of confidence. I do have one question already though. I thought that I remember reading in the forums where when you open Firefox you have Yahoo as the search? I still show Google or was I misreading something somehow?

Thanks
Tom

it was being talked about for a little bit,
but i read they decided to keep google
*I am happy about it* lol

but if you want it as yahoo, you can just click the little arrow next to the "g" in your search bar, and choose yahoo.. (sorry if you alreeady knew that... you probably did) lol

nhasian
May 2nd, 2010, 07:45 AM
have to find Thunderbird and get it installed also. Will take a bit getting used to the new way of doing things here.

13 responses and no one told you how to install Thunderbird? :confused:

you can install it easily from Applications-> Ubuntu Software Center or from a terminal with the command:

sudo apt-get install thunderbird

PocketDog
May 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM
(sometimes openoffice just makes my concept map word documents that my teachers send back to me look weird so i need office)Your teachers shouldn't be using incompatible software. Get them a copy of OpenOffice ;)

MichealH
May 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM

Thanks
Tom

Its the start page optimised for ubuntu but with google... look at the address.

Georgia boy
May 2nd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Got the TB running from the soft ware package. Set it and Evolution up last night and got them working. But if you notice in another thread I created, having trouble with TB wanting to automatically download emails for me.
Also wrote in the thread about the Update Manager not giving me notification of updates. Found out only because I went to update manager in admin and clicked.

Tom

anewguy
May 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM
Sorry about missing your TB installation question, and thanks to nhasian for catching it and giving you the instructions.

Dave ;)