PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clock

FinnMan
May 2nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hello. I have just joined and I will be installing Lucid Lynx in a while perhaps. I've tried the LiveCD and my biggest problem with it is that the current time is shown in the top bar. :)

Being a Windows user, I have grown accustomed to automatically look for the clock in the bottom right corner, so I want to know if it is possible to have the time shown there in Ubuntu.

This is a possible deal-breaker for me, if it cannot be corrected. :D

arsenic23
May 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
You can place the clock on any part of either bar.
Just right-click where you want it, choose 'Add to panel...', search for the clock and add it.

You can also right click on the clock, uncheck the lock, and then move it by dragging.

Water_Spirit
May 2nd, 2010, 05:19 AM
Right click on the panel (bar) open properties and change the orientation to bottom and the panel will be on the bottom and the clock in the right hand corner.

llmunro
May 2nd, 2010, 06:11 AM
Have you thought about using Linux Mint 8 rather than Ubuntu? The clock is in the bottom right by default. It also seems to me to have more of a Windows XP feel to it than Ubuntu.

Just thoughts.

Saludos.
Lisa

FinnMan
May 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Thank you very much for your replies! Yes, I have also tried Linux Mint's LiveCD. As I had never heard of it before, I wasn't sure if I can trust it as much as Ubuntu and also it is green! 8)

seenthelite
May 2nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
In Kubuntu the panel is at the bottom and the clock in the right hand corner by default.

llmunro
May 2nd, 2010, 03:30 PM
Mint, which is actually a pretty popular distro, is based on Ubuntu. In my experience, its been a good distro to learn Linux, as it tries very hard to "just work" out of the box and comes with a few things pre-installed that Ubuntu doesn't. I like and use both Ubuntu and Mint.

Mint runs on my laptop and has been rock solid and very trustworthy. I kind of like the green, but there's millions of ways to change it if you don't.

Good luck!
Lisa

mkvnmtr
May 2nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
This Linux stuff is different from Windows. You can put the clock anywhere you want even in the middle of the desktop. Pretty much anything else you want to change is easy to change.