PDA

View Full Version : Which Android HP is most compatible with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS?

badaveil
May 2nd, 2010, 03:57 AM
I have decided my next and final hp I want to get will have an Android OS preferably the latest version. The issue is that I want that hp to be compatible with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS and plug-n-play so that:

1. When I upload any OpenOffice.org files to the hp, I can retrieve and read them as easy as ABC;
2. When all my mail, contacts, calendar, task and memos in Evolution can be auto-syn to my Android hp every time I plug it to my pc.

When I mean which, I also mean the best. Any suggestions?:P

madjr
May 2nd, 2010, 04:46 AM
android hp ?

new printer with android ?

badaveil
May 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
android hp ?

new printer with android ?

Sorry, "HP" as in "Hand Phone".:biggrin:

Sub101
May 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Android connects with Linux as an external drive, so you then just drag and drop files onto the phone.

So in that sense all android phones (that I am aware of) are Ubuntu compatible.

badaveil
May 2nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
Android connects with Linux as an external drive, so you then just drag and drop files onto the phone.

So in that sense all android phones (that I am aware of) are Ubuntu compatible.

Wow, thanks, just like a thumb-drive. But can Android read OpenOffice.org files? And how about Question 2.

Paqman
May 2nd, 2010, 12:31 PM
2. When all my mail, contacts, calendar, task and memos in Evolution can be auto-syn to my Android hp every time I plug it to my pc.

Android uses Google's online apps, so if you sync your mail & calendar to Gmail and Google Calendar, then they're automatically synced, you don't need to plug the phone in.

badaveil
May 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Android uses Google's online apps, so if you sync your mail & calendar to Gmail and Google Calendar, then they're automatically synced, you don't need to plug the phone in.

Yes, I understand Android's compatibility with Gmail. But how about Evolution which is my preference?

Paqman
May 2nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Yes, I understand Android's compatibility with Gmail. But how about Evolution which is my preference?

What are you using for email in Evolution currently? You could always import your current email account into Gmail (or vice versa) and still use Evolution.

badaveil
May 3rd, 2010, 02:14 AM
What are you using for email in Evolution currently? You could always import your current email account into Gmail (or vice versa) and still use Evolution.

Yes, which is what I do.

Surfing the internet with the hand phone is still ridiculously expensive in Malaysia but if there are times when one needs to refer to this service, one has to. I was thinking at least I could have the emails, calendars etc updated from my computer's evolution and read them when I'm on the move without having to go online with my hand phone which would help lighten the bill.

aysiu
May 3rd, 2010, 02:58 AM
This should help you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleCalendarWithEvolution

badaveil
May 3rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
This should help you:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleCalendarWithEvolution

Cool, thanks

Paqman
May 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Surfing the internet with the hand phone is still ridiculously expensive in Malaysia but if there are times when one needs to refer to this service, one has to. I was thinking at least I could have the emails, calendars etc updated from my computer's evolution and read them when I'm on the move without having to go online with my hand phone which would help lighten the bill.

Right, I get you now.

To be honest, Android isn't really set up well for offline use. It assumes that you're using Google's services. If you want to stay offline you might want to look at a different phone and/or PC OS that you know is going to sync over USB.

badaveil
May 4th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Right, I get you now.

To be honest, Android isn't really set up well for offline use. It assumes that you're using Google's services. If you want to stay offline you might want to look at a different phone and/or PC OS that you know is going to sync over USB.

You are right. My real problem is that my cheap Samsung Z170 is incompatible with Ubuntu although it recognizes the pc when plugged with a USB. So I'm planning to get a bluetooth card because files definitely transfer between hardwares this way. Thanks

typos1
May 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Interesting thread.

I dont like Microsoft as a rule, however, I do rate Windows Mobile, even though its not perfect-I ve had WM phones for the lest 6 years.

Seeing as Android is doing so well and how much I like Liniux on my pc, I thought I d replace my Samsung Omnia 16gb WM phone with an Linux/Android one.

Found this thread while trying to find out how to sync it with Ubuntu.

Thing is you cant, all you can do is get Ubuntu to see it as a storage device. That isnt syncing.

There doesnt seem to be any apps for Ubuntu that properly sync with Android-I thought there would be.

Isnt it ironic that there are apps to sync Windows Mobile with Ubuntu, but nothing to sync Linux based devices?!

badaveil
May 6th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Interesting thread.

I dont like Microsoft as a rule, however, I do rate Windows Mobile, even though its not perfect-I ve had WM phones for the lest 6 years.

Seeing as Android is doing so well and how much I like Liniux on my pc, I thought I d replace my Samsung Omnia 16gb WM phone with an Linux/Android one.

Found this thread while trying to find out how to sync it with Ubuntu.

Thing is you cant, all you can do is get Ubuntu to see it as a storage device. That isnt syncing.

There doesnt seem to be any apps for Ubuntu that properly sync with Android-I thought there would be.

Isnt it ironic that there are apps to sync Windows Mobile with Ubuntu, but nothing to sync Linux based devices?!

I did get a reply from Samsung of S. Korea that even the Samsung Wave that uses Bada is incompatible with Ubuntu but would like to know how Samsung Galaxy S (Android)fairs out with Ubuntu.

typos1
May 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Its not that it isnt compatible-NOTHING is "compatible" with Android, Windows, Mac or Linux-you cant sync Android with any OS, only view the SD card.

aysiu
May 7th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Its not that it isnt compatible-NOTHING is "compatible" with Android, Windows, Mac or Linux-you cant sync Android with any OS, only view the SD card.
A Google account is compatible with Android, and it syncs contacts, calendar, emails, and voice.

badaveil
May 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM
A Google account is compatible with Android, and it syncs contacts, calendar, emails, and voice.

Yes, I've read that too in the Internet.

Well actually, the question of compatibility to be specific was between Android and Evolution. For me, this comes to an end because I found out (with the help of P4man at this forum) that Zimbra is compatible with Ubuntu 10.4 LTS. Zimbra desktop installed under Ubuntu 10.4 LTS fully auto-syns with my Gmail and Zimbra mail accounts and I find it far better than Evolution. It's just that I have a preference for Android because it is Open Source and I suspect, more stable and scaleable than other OS, so as long as Android is compatible with Zimbra desktop, that is all I seek.

typos1
May 7th, 2010, 05:17 PM

That is NOT syncing your pc its syncing your online accounts. Why would anyone want to go online and give loads of data to Google, when they could just plug the phone in to their pc?! It might be useful for some people if theyre away from their pc, but why send a signal all the way down your internet connection, via loads of satelites, down more cables, to a mobile phone transmitter, through the air, then into your mobile when you should be able to plug it in with a metre long cable? Why send the signal thousands of miles when you could just send it a metere? Its ridiculous.

Android, is un syncable-you CANNOT sync it with your pc. You CANT access the file system, you cant reflash it, you cant sync it properly.

Its just a data collecton excercise for Google-you can hardly do anything on the phone unless you register with Google first.

As an Ubuntu/Linux user and fan I was so looking forward to going the Linux mobile route, but Android is rubbish, words cant express my disappointment

aysiu
May 7th, 2010, 05:20 PM
That is NOT syncing your pc its syncing your online accounts. Why would anyone want to go online and give loads of data to Google, when they could just plug the phone in to their pc?! It might be useful for some people if theyre away from their pc, but why send a signal all the way down your internet connection, via loads of satelites, down more cables, to a mobile phone transmitter, through the air, then into your mobile when you should be able to plug it in with a metre long cable? Why send the signal thousands of miles when you could just send it a metere? Its ridiculous. I look at it quite the other way. Why bother with a cable when you can just have it wirelessly sync? Isn't that the whole point of a wireless network?

I remember the first laptop my wife and I bought. It didn't have a wireless card. So we always had to plug it into our router to get any kind of connection. That hampered mobility severely.

If my data syncs wireless automatically, that's great. I don't see why I should bother with a cable.

P.S. Privacy on the internet doesn't exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-doesnt-exist/)

typos1
May 7th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I look at it quite the other way. Why bother with a cable when you can just have it wirelessly sync? Isn't that the whole point of a wireless network?

I remember the first laptop my wife and I bought. It didn't have a wireless card. So we always had to plug it into our router to get any kind of connection. That hampered mobility severely.

If my data syncs wireless automatically, that's great. I don't see why I should bother with a cable.

P.S. Privacy on the internet doesn't exist (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/privacy-on-the-internet-doesnt-exist/)

Why bother with wireless unless you need it?

And its not really wireless, wireless is a local hub in your home-it sends the signal a few metres, not several thousand miles. If you were in New York and you wanted to get to LA, would you fly across the Atlantic, over Europe and Asia, then across the Pacific and into LAX? Or would you simply fly from the East to the West coast?

Plus wireless is slower than wired, so its a compromise, only worth making if you re not near a wired connection.

I dont have wireless at all, cos I dont need it-my pc is in one room and thats fine for me, I dont want to move it round the house. I might use wifi or 3G if I m not at home (although if I do I ll just go straight to my ISP's home page and check emails there and surf using my phone)

And its not about privacy, I just dont see why I should have to start registering with companies for basic things I ve never needed to register for before. Like just plugging my phone into a computer. Its like big brother.

aysiu
May 7th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Why bother with wireless unless you need it? It's not a bother. That's what I'm saying. My phone automatically syncs everything. I don't have to do anything. It happens automatically.

And its not really wireless, wireless is a local hub in your home-it sends the signal a few metres, not several thousand miles. If you were in New York and you wanted to get to LA, would you fly across the Atlantic, over Europe and Asia, then across the Pacific and into LAX? Or would you simply fly from the East to the West coast? I'm not travelling, my data is. I don't care what route the data takes, as long as it's quick. And it is quick.

Plus wireless is slower than wired, so its a compromise, only worth making if you re not near a wired connection. What do I care about benchmarked differences no human can distinguish? I don't ever have to wait for things to sync. The syncing happens instantaneously, as far as I can see.

I dont have wireless at all, cos I dont need it-my pc is in one room and thats fine for me, I dont want to move it round the house. I might use wifi or 3G if I m not at home (although if I do I ll just go straight to my ISP's home page and check emails there and surf using my phone) Good for you. I'm not asking you to change your lifestyle. I'm asking you not to disparage other people's lifestyles.

And its not about privacy, I just dont see why I should have to start registering with companies for basic things I ve never needed to register for before. Like just plugging my phone into a computer. Its like big brother. Again, great. If you don't see the point, don't do it. But others do see the point, and they will. Live and let live. I don't see why you have to make it sound as if what other people do is ridiculous just because you don't make the same choices they do.

You asked this question:
Why would anyone want to go online and give loads of data to Google, when they could just plug the phone in to their pc?! And I answered it.

typos1
May 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I m not disparaging anyone's lifestyle. I m just wondering why you cant use a simple cable and properly sync a pc/phone instead of using wireless ALL the time.

Its using a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

I never suggested anyone should change their lifestyle at all.

I m the one who is being forced to change, cos bizarrely there isnt the option to "sync" via cable or wireless-I m forced to do it via the internet only, that IS NOT progress, its going backwards.

And its only syncing your online account data, not the data on your pc and you cant access your mobile device's file system

Wireless is slower so data is slower, I can telll, especially when watching an HD video.

I cant "live and let live" cos I am forced to do things in one way. I d turn the point round and say if it was "live and let live" there would be the option to sync via cable as well and there isnt.

I havent made it sound ridiculous-it IS ridiculous. Android OS may be Open source, but youre tied to Google for everything, it kind of goes against the whole Linux way, youre NOT free of large multinational compaies, youre forced to use them and their services. Doesnt sit right with the whole Linux philosophy. And ironically windows Mobile is much less tied to anyone. Its not Open Source, but its very cheap and easy to be a software develpoer fro WM. Its so ironic.

aysiu
May 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM
And its only syncing your online account data, not the data on your pc and you cant access your mobile device's file system You don't need to access your mobile device's filesystem.

All your music, movies, pictures, and other files live on the MicroSD card in your phone. When you plug in your phone to your computer using a cable, you can mount your phone's MicroSD card, and then drag and drop files with your computer.

If you don't like manually managing through drag and drop, you can use a program like Grsync (http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/) to automatically sync various folders.

The other stuff (contacts, calendar, email) does sync all the time in the background, so there is no need to manually sync that stuff.

k.mooijman
May 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM

I don't understand : i just bought a HTC Legend running Android 2.1 Éclair and had it sync with my windows outlook (contacts favorites and calender).
t worked fine the only problem is i use windows ONLY for testing. i would like to sync my evolution contacts and calender the same way as i did in windows.
Anyone who know how : PLEASE tel here !!!!!!!

Paqman
May 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I m just wondering why you cant use a simple cable and properly sync a pc/phone instead of using wireless ALL the time.

Because it's a wireless device. It's a mobile phone. Voice and data over RF links is what it's designed for.

I love the way Android smartphones aren't slaved to a PC. I can see what you're saying about it being conceptually pretty obtuse, but in practical terms the actual user experience is seamless and hassle-free. There's no need to manually sync the device, which is brilliant. It all just happens automagically.