PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Sound card not being detected

banerjeerupak
May 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM
I have just upgraded to 10.04. Everything is working just fine. In fact i really like the transition to the latest firefox version.

But my sound card is not responding. I can not change the volume on my system. My speakers are working and there is sound. But i can't change the volume. Also even if my earphones are connected, the speakers keep working. Might have got into a mess at my workplace today.

How to resolve it?

lidex
May 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
When you say you cannot change volume, are you saying your volume control doesn't do anything or you don't have a volume control?

banerjeerupak
May 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
The volume control icon is present but it doesn't do anything. Also when i go to sounds from Preferences, it just says waiting for sound card to respond.

FoxMcCloudwp
May 2nd, 2010, 06:06 AM
Try changing the volume in the Terminal

alsamixer

lidex
May 2nd, 2010, 06:22 AM
Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:

uname -a
aplay -l
cat /proc/asound/version
head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Please post text output using code tags. Also helpful is the make/model of your PC/Laptop.

banerjeerupak
May 2nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
The output from the commands that you wanted me to execute are

root@blitzkreig:~# uname -a
Linux blitzkreig 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 16 08:10:02 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

root@blitzkreig:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

root@blitzkreig:~# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.

root@blitzkreig:~# head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*

Hope that helps. And you can help me to sort out the problem.

Thanks a lot
The help is deeply appreciated.
Codec: Analog Devices AD1981

lidex
May 2nd, 2010, 04:36 PM
What is the make/model of your PC/Laptop?

banerjeerupak
May 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
I'm using a Compaq NX6325 by HP. It is a 2006 model. Was working perfectly with 9.10.

lidex
May 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
If it was working with karmic it should work here. Have you tried alsamixer? Also try gnome-alsamixer (in the repo's if not installed) and make sure to enable all options in "Edit> Sound Card Properties". For alsamixer:

alsamixer
Press F6 to select the correct soundcard.
Press F3 to show playback levels. F4 selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels.
Go to "System>Preferences>Sound" and make sure the correct soundcard is default.

One more thing - have seen botched alsa installs latety. Try upgrading it referencing this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9136618&postcount=2

banerjeerupak
May 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Thank you so much for walking me through this. I remember that even for 9.10 i had used alsamixer to sort out the sound once and so it was easy thereafter.

Thanks again.

Rupak