PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] For new users, a Quick Tutorial on how to Get some needed utilities.

Nick.Sth
May 2nd, 2010, 02:00 AM
Hi, I've been using Ubuntu for 2-3 months, I'm no expert. But I want to share with the rest of you, what troubles I had, and how I resolved them. When I started I wanted a program to convert files, something to install Windows programs, etc. I'll explain to you now how to get some of those things.

How To Download YouTube Videos with Terminal.
First, download required software by typing in:

sudo apt-get install youtube-dl And you're done. To download just type in

youtube-dl video_urlHow To Convert Files Through Terminal.
First, download required software by typing:

sudo apt-get install ffmpeg Turning images to a cideo sequence

ffmpeg -f image2 -i image%d.jpg video.mpg Then All you need is codes.
To Convert FLV to MPG:

ffmpeg -i old-file.flv new-file.mpg To Convert FLV to Mp3

mplayer -dumpaudio old-file.flv -dumpfile new-file.mp3 To Convert Mp4 to Mp3

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -vn -ac 1 audio1.mp3How to install Wine
Extremely simple. Just go to -> Applicatons > Ubuntu Software centre and type in wine.
If that doesn't suit you, open terminal and type the following.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine
sudo apt-get install winesetuptk
winesetuptk or $ winesetup or winesetup
Program To Download Songs Easily
Just install by typing in terminal:

apt-get install nicotineSimple File Sharing Program /
Just install by typing in terminal:

sudo apt-get install gtk-gnutella

I hope this helps you in any way, best of wishes, Nick.

3rdalbum
May 2nd, 2010, 02:41 AM
Rather than use "Youtube-dl", you can usually find the video file in the /tmp directory after the video has completely buffered, but before you surf to another page or close the browser.

madjr
May 2nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Rather than use "Youtube-dl", you can usually find the video file in the /tmp directory after the video has completely buffered, but before you surf to another page or close the browser.

+1 tmp directory

anyway this is a good guide, but am not sure if new users want to type in commands all over the place

Nick.Sth
May 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
some people enjoy using terminal :P

Nick.Sth
May 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
wrong post:P

aaguilar4
May 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Hi guys, I actually wrote a little bash script that will ask how many videos you want to download, ask you the NAME, and URL of each video, then download the video and convert it to audio and save it to ~/Music/NAME.mp3
I use it to extract songs or tracks out of the videos, but I wanted some help in building a GUI or something to that effect.
For the time being, everything is a bash script, so I was thinking to change it into Python in order to write a GUI with Glade. I'm by no means an expert in bash or Python, so I'm in need of help.
Let me know if you are interested in the code or in helping me out with some tips.
Thanks!

lisati
May 24th, 2010, 12:42 PM
We don't support violating Youtube's terms and coditions.