PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Issues with nvidia drivers + BluRay

Ve~
May 2nd, 2010, 01:48 AM
So I am attempting to make the transition from Windows 7 to Ubuntu. I've attempted this many a time but it's never quite been able to handle my usage pattern.

After installing ubuntu 10.04, it seems it's veeeery close to living up to my high (At at times highly unreasonable expectations). There are only two things that I have been unable to get working.

The first is my dual monitor setup. I have two monitors, a 24" and a 19", the 19" is rotated 90 degrees cw (potrait mode) and the nvidia drivers don't seem to be able to handle this. I can get the second monitor working fine but getting it rotated is just not happening. I have tried setting them up as sepreate X screens and with that I can set it up properly but dragging apps from one monitor to another doesn't work.

The X86 drivers that come with ubuntu work fine for my monitor setup but I also wish to play games on my ubuntu setup and they do not provide adequate performance. Any solutions would be appreciated.

The other problem I have is one I think is beyond solving. In windows I use AnyDVD to strip AAAC and HDCP off my bluray disks so that they play properly. As I understand it, the only way to do this with linux is to rip it first and then play it? Is there any way to play the disk without ripping it?

Reaaaally hoping I can sort out these niggles and get it working 100%. So far, 10.04 has really impressed me.

mc4man
May 2nd, 2010, 02:15 AM
Don't have a blu-ray drive (yet), but I'd see if MakeMKV could stream the movie to a player (vlc or mplayer), rather than rip to file

(maybe google MakeMKV streaming

Ve~
May 2nd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Excellent. MakeMKV works brilliantly. Now if I can just sort out the monitor issue I will be good to go.