PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Karmic Koala to Lucid Lynx xubuntu

jfbooth
May 1st, 2010, 11:09 PM
XUBUNTU upgrade

"You can directly upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ("Lucid Lynx") from Ubuntu 9.10 ("Karmic Koala") or from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS ("Hardy Heron"). This page contains instructions for both. (see UpgradeNotes)
# Be sure that you have all updates applied to your current version of Ubuntu before you upgrade.
#Before upgrading it is recommended that you read the release notes for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, which document caveats and workarounds for known issues in this version.

Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Desktops (Recommended)

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

1. Start System/Administration/Update Manager.
2. Click the Check button to check for new updates.
3. If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
4. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.
5. Click Upgrade.
6. Follow the on-screen instructions.

I click Upgrade, and get message "COULD NOT DOWNLOAD RELEASE NOTES. PLEASE CHECK YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION"

madjr
May 1st, 2010, 11:30 PM
download the alternate iso to upgrade

jfbooth
May 1st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Er, .. OK ... thanks. Just for my own education, anyone know why the upgrade link did not work??

jfbooth
May 3rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
bump

ranch hand
May 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
It could be that the server was over loaded.

Try a different mirror.

jfbooth
May 3rd, 2010, 08:14 PM
It could be that the server was over loaded.

Try a different mirror.

COULD be .. but I have a feeling there is another explanation. Thanks for the comment, though.

r-senior
May 3rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
I did a Xubuntu 9.10->10.04 upgrade and it was flawless. Took a while but it was on an old Pentium box.

Have you tried again since? Can you do normal updates using update manager?

jfbooth
May 3rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
I did a Xubuntu 9.10->10.04 upgrade and it was flawless. Took a while but it was on an old Pentium box.

Have you tried again since? Can you do normal updates using update manager?

Really? Cool .. that is encouraging. I tried it about 3 times in ONE SESSION. I have not tried it since but certainly will, thanks to your comment.

Yes, normal updates worked great .. always have. Thanks, I will give it a few more tries.