PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blacklist

.:PiXiČ:.
May 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM
Hi
I've blacklisted a module to disable a device, but after rebooting, the device isn't disabled.
In the output of "lspci", the device still shows up, and in the output of "lsmod" the module still shows up.

Some details:
This is the device I want to disable:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

This is the line I've added to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist i915

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, thanks in advance.

Jon Monreal
May 2nd, 2010, 05:10 AM
Try adding the line

blacklist intel_agp
to the blacklist and then go to a terminal and type

sudo update-initramfs -u
and press enter.

Thanks.

May 2nd, 2010, 10:10 AM
I've added these lines to the blacklist.conf file:

blacklist intel-agp
blacklist agpgart-intel

Executed this:

sudo update-initramfs -u

Now the module (i915) doesn't get loaded, but the the device still shows up in the output of "lspci". Any further suggestions?

Jon Monreal
May 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not aware of any methods for removing a device from the output of "lspci". Is the fact that the card is recognized causing you problems?

May 2nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Yes, because in Ubuntu it conflicts with my nVidia graphics card. When I install a driver for the nVidia graphics card, Ubuntu recognizes the Intel VGA controller first on startup and doesn't gives screen output.

Jon Monreal
May 3rd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Hello,

Could you check your BIOS and see if there is a way to disable the onboard card from there? If there isn't, just say so.

Thanks.

May 4th, 2010, 08:55 AM
There's no option in the BIOS to disable the device.
Is there another way in Ubuntu to disable of just let the kernel "ignore" a piece of hardware?

Jon Monreal
May 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Do you know what model the motherboard is? Most should have the ability to disable an onboard card.

Also, you could try

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
to try to fix the output problem.