PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't get ANYTHING to work right

JoeGoe
May 1st, 2010, 09:15 PM
Okay,

So I tried upgrading to Lucid, but my computer shut down during the process and then refused to boot. I then reinstated Karmic hoping to then try upgrading again. During the installation bcm43xx-fwcutter failed to be installed, then network manager said it didn't have the resources to continue. Finally, after the installation from Hell was over Ubuntu said that some items failed to install. This might leave your system unusable. After that I connected my Ethernet cable, and that worked, however wireless is not working! I shut down my computer, Dell Vostro 1400, and I am now afraid to turn it back on. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

EVERYTHING WORKS AGAIN DEAD THREAD!!!

jrothwell97
May 1st, 2010, 09:18 PM
I strongly suggest that if you're having this much trouble upgrading from Karmic, you should try doing a fresh install of Lucid. Download the new Live CD and do a clean install from that.

Rasa1111
May 1st, 2010, 09:22 PM
I strongly suggest that if you're having this much trouble upgrading from Karmic, you should try doing a fresh install of Lucid. Download the new Live CD and do a clean install from that.

good advice,
and it's faster to.:KS

RyanBFS
May 1st, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'd go with a fresh install again, maybe boot from a CD and run the mem test then re partition the HD. It may be that your memory had some garbage in it that caused the problem on the 2nd install... but not my area of expertise by any means.

Burn the CD SLOWLY and check the md5sum https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

JoeGoe
May 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
I've tried that, but when I burn it on my Mac it says could not verify disk is unreliable.

-humanaut-
May 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
I've tried that, but when I burn it on my Mac it says could not verify disk is unreliable.

You need to redownload and reburn it probably make sure youre burning it at the slowest possible speed.

JoeGoe
May 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM
I think maybe I'm using the wrong disk. What kind of CD/DID do you guys use?

jrothwell97
May 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
How are you downloading the CD image?

I strongly suggest using BitTorrent for this, since as well as being faster it'll also check for errors in the download automatically.

RyanBFS
May 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM
it's doubtfull that it's the wrong kind of disk, just about any normal 700mb cdr disk should work that I know of. I'd be more suspecissous of the way that the cd is being written, cd burners increase the speed that they are burrning at, in part, by not being as thourough. Also TCP/IP is not perfect and you could have some corrupted data from the downloaded ISO so download again and check the md5sum from my link above.

alexcckll
May 1st, 2010, 09:55 PM
Why not just buy the CD?

RyanBFS
May 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
They sell Ubuntu CD's in the UK? That's cool... I'm going to have to get one for my rear view mirrior :biggrin:

How are you downloading the CD image?

I strongly suggest using BitTorrent for this, since as well as being faster it'll also check for errors in the download automatically.

Very good point! but make sure it's a trusted source, it's very easy for people to modify open source software and put whatever they want inside it.

jrothwell97
May 1st, 2010, 10:22 PM
They sell Ubuntu CD's in the UK? That's cool... I'm going to have to get one for my rear view mirrior :biggrin:

Very good point! but make sure it's a trusted source, it's very easy for people to modify open source software and put whatever they want inside it.

That's the beauty of BitTorrent: it's very difficult for anyone to slip malicious code in, providing the torrent file you use (probably, in the OP's case, one from here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt))is safe.

Error detection and correction also extends to malicious tampering. (The computer just sees these as another hash failure, and sends for the block of data again.)

RyanBFS
May 1st, 2010, 10:39 PM
That's the beauty of BitTorrent: it's very difficult for anyone to slip malicious code in, providing the torrent file you use (probably, in the OP's case, one from here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#bt))is safe.

Error detection and correction also extends to malicious tampering. (The computer just sees these as another hash failure, and sends for the block of data again.)

Yah, Guess the only way that it's likely is if the file that all are using is manipulated. I'm a bit paranoid lol. Most of the offices I service can and will find a way if I don't disclose every possible threat. But... servicing over 100 ubuntu machines and not a virus yet ;) .

JoeGoe
May 2nd, 2010, 03:00 AM
Guess what?!!? I had the guts to reboot and now everything is okay!!!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Rasa1111
May 2nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Guess what?!!? I had the guts to reboot and now everything is okay!!!

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Awesome Joe! :P
congrats! nice work.
hope you like it as much as i do. <3

kaldor
May 2nd, 2010, 08:12 AM
If you have too much trouble, use Shipit and get your free Ubuntu CD.

For the future, I highly recommend not doing upgrades unless it's a server. Never seems to work out well on the Desktop!