PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04 - why the UI change?

Bodsda
May 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04 and erm.. noticed that the minimize, maximize and close buttons have all been moved from the right hand side to the left. Does anyone know what the reasoning behind this is?

It seems like the devs are making changes just for the sake of it.

Bodsda

juancarlospaco
May 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Why not ?

gnupipe
May 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
hi,

i have just installed ubuntu 10.04 and erm.. Noticed that the minimize, maximize and close buttons have all been moved from the right hand side to the left. Does anyone know what the reasoning behind this is?

Bodsda

hint: osx :)

cariboo907
May 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
There are plans for something else on the right.

John Bean
May 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM

You can't leave that hanging... can you?

Dr Belka
May 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
I am really getting sick of these threads that ask the same question again and again and again and again.

Random_Dude
May 1st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Why are this "buttons on the left" threads keeps showing up?

Just use Ubuntu Tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) to move then to the right. That's the first thing I'm gonna do if 10.10 has the same feature.

chriswyatt
May 1st, 2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, there are loads of results about this exact thing on Google.

John Bean
May 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM

Surely GUI evolution requires some changes from time to time to see what happens in use, and let the user weed out those that don't work in favour of those that do.

In the case of Lucid I find I actually like the default after I got over the initial "oddness" of it. After a few hours I changed it them to the right and immediately didn't like it at all - despite having used that layout for decades. I moved the buttons back to the left and I'm leaving them there.

Evolution in action :-)

standingwave
May 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
Why are this "buttons on the left" threads keeps showing up?Because it was released two days ago?

coffeecat
May 1st, 2010, 09:45 PM
I moved the buttons back to the left and I'm leaving them there.

A man after my own heart. :) I like the new button placement.

gemmakaru
May 1st, 2010, 09:57 PM
Mine are still on the right following an upgrade bug. (I cant change decorations any more.) Ho hum.

fatality_uk
May 1st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Plans are afoot!!!

RedMaster
May 1st, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm using the "New Wave" theme so the buttons are on the right side...
But I don't get a thing why everyone is screaming why the buttons are switched to the left side?! Why not?! It's a matter of time to get to use it that way... I like them btw... :)

Random_Dude
May 1st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Because it was released two days ago?

Even before the release they kept showing up.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
It's all part of Canonical's conspiracy to rid the would of cute baby animals, one puppy at a time

3rdalbum
May 2nd, 2010, 02:28 AM
Operating systems have had the Close button on the left for longer than they've had the close button on the right.

I think Ubuntu should have the close button on the right and the Minimise and Maximise buttons on the left; it would make more sense in terms of having the destructive option far away from the non-destructive options.

2cute4u
May 2nd, 2010, 03:06 AM
I'm so glad that ubuntu finally put the close button back on the left where it belongs. I can't imagine why in the world it was ever switched to be on the right (though i bet Novell had something to do with it).

utnubuuser
May 2nd, 2010, 03:09 AM
Don't like them on the left? Here's a how-to:

http://sazeit.com/articles/lucid-lynx-beta

WinterMadness
May 2nd, 2010, 03:33 AM
moving those controls to the left is stupid, im not going to lie.

Most people are used to it on the right

witeshark17
May 2nd, 2010, 04:00 AM
Left, right, it's not a big issue. But then I believe in being multi OS adaptable. :guitar:

Foster Grant
May 2nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
A man after my own heart. :) I like the new button placement.

As are mine. They don't look like the Dade County (FL) stoplight Mac OS X buttons and they're not on the right side as Microsoft first specified when I was still in high school.

So what's the problem? It's not like they're in a Facebook-like pop-up in the bottom right corner all by themselves. :lol:

Bodsda
May 2nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Wow, you ask a question and loads of people start shouting and moaning. I notice though that only one thing has come close to an answer to my question.

Its like OSX - Personally, I have never used OSX for more than an hour or so, so I dont remember what side they were on, but if this was the reason for the change then I feel sorry for Ubuntu. It is never gonna move anywhere whilst it is always trying to beat Windows and look like a mac.

Disappointed.

Bodsda

whitefort
May 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Wow, you ask a question and loads of people start shouting and moaning. I notice though that only one thing has come close to an answer to my question.

I noticed that too. Maybe some people just have too much free time, and use it to post unhelpful whines in threads without even hinting at an answer.

Press ALT-f2
type: gconf-editor

When it opens, go to apps/metacity/general

on the right-hand screen, find 'button_layout'

Change it to :minimize,maximize,close
(the colon at the start is important)

Problem solved!

(FWIW, I think this change was a dumb idea. If there's some big mysterious THING that they're going to put on the right-hand side in a later release, well, why don't they put THAT on the left-hand side, and leave the dang buttons where nearly everyone in the world expects to find them.)

kabloink
May 2nd, 2010, 12:53 PM

Of course, the change in the button position could have waited until this mysterious item for the right side was ready to be used. Then the change might have been seen as being justified. Unless the top secret change is simply having notifications show up on the right side of the windows instead of popping over as I fear will be the case.

MacUntu
May 2nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
Changed it back after using it for quite a while. Don't see any advantages over the old placement. In contrary, it's much harder to switch between UBuntu and Windows systems.

praveesh
May 2nd, 2010, 02:39 PM
Most of the buttons and menus are on the left side . If close minimize maximize buttons are on the left side, time utilization as well as productivity can be improved . I heard that it is the official explanation .

antenna
May 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
It took me a very small time to change (change the theme!) and in doing so I learned that the order of the window controls can now be set by a theme, something that wasn't possible beforehand. So the introduction of this change led to an improvement in the way something works with only a very small inconvenience to myself. I can't really complain about that and it kind of amazes me that so many people do.

LarsKongo
May 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
For some reason my hand hurts a little when I move the mouse to the left corner of a window. It feels faster and more natural to have it on the right. I scroll on the right, I resize a window in the lower right corner, my mouse is most of the time on the right side of the screen.

Genius314
May 2nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
It should be an easy-to-configure item in the Appearance dialog. I don't see why it isn't... It's a matter of taste, and something that should be configurable without advanced Linux knowledge.

coffeecat
May 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
I can't really complain about that and it kind of amazes me that so many people do.

Human nature. Some people are not happy until they have something to moan about. :wink:

Did I say I that like the UI change? :p

arsenic23
May 2nd, 2010, 03:25 PM
I appreciate the change even though I didn't keep my buttons on the left. It made me realize I could disable that useless maximize button. I don't think I've ever used that button. When I want to maximize something I double click the empty space in the bar and then it stays maximized forever.

JohnnyC35
May 2nd, 2010, 03:26 PM
I stopped using the buttons. I rarely minimize anything, if I need to close a window I alt-F4 it, and I put F11 to Maximize the window. seems to work well so far :D

John Bean
May 2nd, 2010, 03:33 PM
It should be an easy-to-configure item in the Appearance dialog. I don't see why it isn't... It's a matter of taste, and something that should be configurable without advanced Linux knowledge.

I agree, but you can always install Ubuntu Tweak to do it with a single mouse click if that's the way you want to do it. To be honest it's so easy to do with gconf-editor I really don't think it's a big deal - and you learn something "advanced" in the process :-)

chriswyatt
May 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
Easy for you maybe but a n00b would be confused by the sheer amount of options.

billcSailor
May 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I often use a tabletpc and buttons on the far right up against the bezel are sort of hard to hit, so this is cool for me, but I still think it's a bad idea.

My complaint is that a LOT more people use Ubuntu and Windows than Ubuntu and a Mac. These folks will try to hit the wrong button on their lesser used platform often. And it will feel alien to new users. The GUI is what gives comfort to new users. "Hey, I know this!"

The advantage of consistency probably outweighs any advantage they gain here. Where consistency is important MicroSoft's way is the right way, they are the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Unless their way is significantly wrong anything else is just howling at the moon.

The new thing (whatever it is) might have very good reasons to be on the right. And they need to get us used to the left, so we don't have dead ninja's falling from the ceiling every time we try to close a window (oops spoiler).

John Bean
May 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
Easy for you maybe but a n00b would be confused by the sheer amount of options.

Bizarre. Options are erm... optional. You can ignore them if you wish or use them according to taste. Your choice.

Now remind me again how much easier is it to do this in Windows... Oh, that's right - the options are you take it or leave it ;-)

mymansionisabox
May 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
To actually attempt to answer this question..
I don't think anyone seems to know 100% as to why this massive change occurred. It is rumored however that the 'coolness' factor of 'different' has suddenly boomed, whereas in the past the 'unlikeness factor' compared to windows was uncool. Its safe to say that this change has brought on a bit of publicity (Even if it is mainly from tech sites). Admittedly though, I am somewhat uneasy with that change. Why should an operating system ever change something so essential to the basic function. Granted, if Ubuntu had a new development that no longer required the pressing of a closed button at all... that would be different.
Personally though, I see the superiority of the minimize/maximize/close on the right hand side by merely browsing posts on this site. The "next page" button is on the right side, the "post quick reply" is on the right side. Therefore, I leave my cursor on the right hand side and scroll about. (For most people on laptops, you scroll on the right hand side of the mouse pad"
There are so many things right side oriented, I don't see the need/want to change it. Ubuntu is NOT Mac, I would dare to say that Ubuntu is the anti-Mac, the most consumer driven closed OS there is versus: well, Us.

D-Dan
May 2nd, 2010, 11:56 PM
Not to mention that the majority of people are right handed, so the right is more natural.

Having said that, it's so easy to change, so I still don't understand the fuss. :confused:

Genius314
May 3rd, 2010, 01:08 AM
It is rumored however that the 'coolness' factor of 'different' has suddenly boomed
I disagree with this statement. Have you seen any of the complaints that YouTube and Facebook have been getting? Every time they change one little aspect of the layout, everyone freaks out.

I agree, but you can always install Ubuntu Tweak to do it with a single mouse click if that's the way you want to do it. To be honest it's so easy to do with gconf-editor I really don't think it's a big deal - and you learn something "advanced" in the process :-)
Well, it's easy for people like us, who like to tweak stuff and learn how to do new things.
For the average user, though, they could care less about looking up an answer. They just want a way to easily change appearance.
I use Emerald, anyway, so the change doesn't affect me at all. But most people probably use Metacity.

cariboo907
May 3rd, 2010, 01:09 AM
Just to add a little more about plans for 10.10 have a look here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+bug/532633/comments/110). There are also other things afoot, have a look here (https://launchpad.net/ayatana).

Genius314
May 3rd, 2010, 01:14 AM
Just to add a little more about plans for 10.10 have a look here (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/light-themes/+bug/532633/comments/110). There are also other things afoot, have a look here (https://launchpad.net/ayatana).

Hopefully these new features will work with any windows decoration (eg Emerald) and not just Metacity?