PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems with 'kde' and 'gnome' - default browser settings

peterpan7191
May 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM
currently using lucid lynx - 10.04 (but had this problem since 9.10)

i use both kde and gnome sessions

when i change my default browser settings in kde using system settings -> default applications -> file manager, and say make it dolphin; the default browser in gnome is also changing to dolphin instead of nautilus ( when i access desktop folders or places->pictures/videos/music etc)

this really is annoying as clearly for a kde application to run in gnome takes longer time...

ny work arounds ??

help is appreciated to the max ... :)

peterpan7191
May 6th, 2010, 05:40 PM
still stuck ..... :cry:

hoping some replies [-o<

peterpan7191
July 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
bump,
Isn't any one familiar with this problem

lkjoel
July 3rd, 2010, 05:40 PM
First of all, every time you bump, you push others down, so then their problems will have less chances of being answered.

Since I am not yet at my Ubuntu computer, I can't help you completely.

Try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Then check in System->Preferences->Preferred Applications.

KdotJ
July 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM
First of all, every time you bump, you push others down, so then their problems will have less chances of being answered.

To be fair, peterpan7191 did bump this thread from 2 months a go. Not many people look 2 months back in the thread lists

lkjoel
July 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
To be fair, peterpan7191 did bump this thread from 2 months a go. Not many people look 2 months back in the thread lists
Oops sorry peterpan7191!
I did not see the dates.

peterpan7191
July 30th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeThen check in System->Preferences->Preferred Applications.

Ya I tried dat after updating as you suggested.
But I could not find any tab or option to change file browser in 'Preferred Applications'

lkjoel
August 9th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Is KDE and GNOME installed correctly?
Because KDE configuration should not affect GNOME configuration.

teh603
August 9th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Is it possible they both share a common configuration file or metafile?

peterpan7191
August 10th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Till date I've had no problems with kde n gnome.
I frequently switch between them and kde also has least crashes (almost none unless I do crappy stuff :D )
Im sure they both are properly installed.

bdw another frend of mine also has the same problem.

lkjoel
August 11th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Can you get a GTK browser (such as nautilus or thunar), because KDE loads a GTK app faster than GNOME loads a KDE app.

peterpan7191
August 20th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Can you get a GTK browser (such as nautilus or thunar), because KDE loads a GTK app faster than GNOME loads a KDE app.

That is what is the current status in the ubuntu. Anyway Thanx :)

Hope a fix comes to this problem :)

PPPilot
August 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I installed the KDE Desktop into my existing Gnome Lucid install. I can now choose between the two at login and nothing has changed in how my Gnome desktop runs but I was surprised to see all the KDE applications appear in my Gnome menu. I figured that I would not see those except when I logged into the KDE Desktop and visa-versa but all the applications for both desktops are present in both. This does not seem to cause any problems but I would not have thought it would work this way....

peterpan7191
August 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
I figured that I would not see those except when I logged into the KDE Desktop and visa-versa but all the applications for both desktops are present in both.

Exactly even I prefer using kde applications in kde and gnome ones in gnome though both are available. This browser problem still troubles me