PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GMA 3150 drivers not available?

Maximus559
May 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM
Just installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04 on my Acer ao532h netbook. I did a clean install, but I had been running UNR 9.10 for some time without a hitch. The new version fixed a slight bug that had made it necessary to tinker with the wifi adapter in the old version, and also seems to boot faster as advertised. However, there is one slight problem with the new version: when I attempt to engage visual effects in the appearance control panel (something which worked in the old version), the options are grayed out, as if the video driver is not installed. When I go to the hardware drivers panel, it doesn't detect any drivers to install. As far as I can remember, I didn't have to install any drivers for the GMA 3150 graphics card in the old version of UNR. What's going on here?

mikewhatever
May 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Crappy sub-par graphics drivers by Intel, what's new? There should be a sticky saying, "Stay away from Intel's graphics".

Maximus559
May 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM
Actually, I think I may be barking up the wrong tree. It appears that Ubuntu Netbook Remix simply doesn't include Compiz by default, probably an attempt to keep the memory footprint low. Can't say I particularly miss it on such a small screen anyway...

CoriolisSTORM
May 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM
On a related note, does Linux yet actually support this worthless video card? Not a fan of it, love my Asus 1005pe except the worthless card. I'm one of those awaiting an open source driver for it (Intel lists on their site to visit moblin.com for a solution...) And an open source driver would mean an OS X kext would be available soon too...

Maximus559
May 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
All I know is that when I had Compiz installed on 9.10, everything worked as advertised. I assume it wouldn't have if there weren't functional drivers for the GMA 3150. Anyway, I think it's a little unfair to expect anything above basic functionality from an integrated GPU in a netbook. After all, they are engineered for power savings, not performance. And while I do share the universally low opinion of Intel's graphics units, most of the time it's a simple matter of dropping in a discrete card. Wish that was possible with mobile PCs, but oh well.