PDA

View Full Version : Buying a quality netbook

paul6
May 1st, 2010, 05:04 PM
Hi, I've decided I want to buy a netbook and install Ubuntu on it. I'm looking for the basic specs: 10-inch monitor, good battery life, comfortable keyboard, and a reasonably fast processor. I prefer quality over price but cheap isn't necessarily bad.

So far I've looked at CNet's reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/best-netbooks/?tag=centerColumnArea1.0;buyAdvice) and also the June 2010 issue of Consumer Reports, and they both have their recommendations, but I'm curious to hear what Ubuntu users thought, since installing Ubuntu may pose issues on a Windows machine.

Thanks

Khakilang
May 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM
I would look into Asus Netbook seriously. They high quality product.

retbak
May 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM
I've had an Asus eeepc 1005pe for ~6 weeks and it has been great. Ubuntu installed easily. There were a few little niggles such as low battery life with ubuntu, brightness issues and others but after some tweaking these things were sorted. Mine gets around 6-7 hours battery life on high brightness (cant use a dull screen). Wireless works out of the box. It has a really good keyboard with keys well spaced apart.

Windows 7 starter which is pre-installed is shocking btw.

retbak
May 1st, 2010, 05:57 PM
ooops

Queue29
May 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM
HP5101 is a very high quality netbook (aluminum body, 95% of full size keyboard, ~9 hour battery life, 2GB RAM, uses GMA 950 instead of GMA 550 so it works well with linux), but you really do have to pay for it.

rabid9797
May 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM
MSI Wind.

http://www.msimobile.com/level2_productlist.aspx?id=3

I know two people with them and they love them.

nothingspecial
May 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM
All I know is that my wife`s aspire one feels like a toy and my samsung nc10 feels like a small laptop.

Have nothing else to offer.

Dark Aspect
May 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM
I love my Asus 1001P, seems fine with Arch+Gnome. If you do get an Asus remember this command you'll use it a lot:

xbacklight -set 100

Its seems that the 1000 models have brightness issues.

KiwiNZ
May 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM
Asus or Dell and Gateway. Buy with 1GB of Ram and install a Ram upgrade when you get it home.

As for the Windows 7 Starter hmmm its only a shadow of its big brother. It works but is seriously cut down. I would use either XP or Ubuntu Netbook Remix the later best by a country mile.

Warpnow
May 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
All I know is that my wife`s aspire one feels like a toy and my samsung nc10 feels like a small laptop.

Have nothing else to offer.

To each their own. I use my Aspire One 4-5 hours a day without a problem. Its also one of the best selling netbooks around for a reason. Mainly that it has every feature of every other netbook but sold for $100-$200 less than most of them.

The linpus they put on it was a disappointment, though. I use Kuki linux, an OS specifcally for it.

I'd look into the Acer Timeline. I hear it has like 12 hours of battery life.

Rifester
May 1st, 2010, 09:24 PM
I like my Lenovo S10 very much! Very Linux friendly.

Foster Grant
May 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
Why install it yourself? ZaReason sells netbooks with standard Ubuntu preinstalled. System76 sells 'em with Ubuntu Netbook Edition 64-bit.

Presto123
May 1st, 2010, 10:30 PM
eMachines eM250-1162. Awesome little thing with a rockin' 250gig HD. IMO the only negative about it is the 3 cell battery. It's basically just a rebranded Acer.

snowpine
May 1st, 2010, 10:30 PM
I am going to give the weird advice to get the cheapest netbook that still meets your needs. I paid $200 for my Dell Mini 9. At that price, I take it with me in the bathtub (seriously), out in the yard, on train trips, etc. If it were lost, stolen, or destroyed I would not cry. If I'd spent $400+ I would probably baby it and that would defeat the purpose of a netbook for me, which is inexpensive semi-disposable portability.

GSF1200S
May 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Asus 1005HA-P here, and it works perfect for me on 10.04 UNE. Some of the other ones in this thread look very nice, too.

hedgeborn
May 2nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
I have a Dell Lattitude 2100, Personally I think it's great, much sturdier than most netbooks I've seen. Has a nice resilient rubber-like outer coating instead of the usual high gloss plastics. It's upgradeable to 2 gb RAM and has an extended battery too. I'm very pleased with it.

I'd also take a look at the System76 netbook too though.

flukeairwalker
May 2nd, 2010, 02:38 AM
If you live in America, the System76 Starling is the way to go. Over five hours of battery life, snappy, and preloaded with UNR.

- Sent to you from a Starling