PDA

View Full Version : /dev missing during boot

ian dobson
May 1st, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hi All,

I've just updated my backend server to 10.04 and am having problems. When I try and boot 10.04 I end up at the recovery prompt, the system displays an error message about not being able to change directory then drops to the recovery prompt. If I go to single user mode (in 10.04) everything seems to be OK.

If I boot the old kernel (9.10) the system displays an error about /dev missing but after afew seconds it appears to boot and all my filesystems are mounted/services started.

So it looks as if the boot system/scripts are looking for /dev before it's actually available.

System information:-
Quad Core with 8Gb ram
6 2Tb WD harddisks (3 Raid partitions - md0 / RAID mirror, md1 data RAID5,md2 backup)

cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/md0 / ext3 defaults,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback 0 1 ##Root device
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/md1 /data ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,data=writeback,nobh,barrier= 0,commit=15 0 0 ##RAID 5 array

Any ideas what the problem is? This box has been running in the hardware configuration for over a year now, apart from ubuntu 10.04.

If you need any further information let me know.

Regards
Ian Dobson

ian dobson
May 1st, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hi All,

Problem found, mount_all/mount in 9.10 accepted that there was an error in my fstab but 10.04 they died instead of ignoring the error.

I think mount/ext3 fs in 10.04 doesn't like the option data=writeback.

Regards
Ian Dobson