PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lucid updating

Georgia boy
May 1st, 2010, 04:51 AM
I haven't got the Lucid update CD yet. I'm using 8.04 still. I haven't even gotten a message to update on that yet. But from what I've been reading here in all sections of the forums, there seems to be quite a bit of problems with upgrading or even the clean installs(which is what I want to do when I start on Lucid, totally wipe out Windows). Is this mainly Laptops or also Desktops? I'm using a Desktop myself. Should I wait until next weekend before getting a Live CD to do the clean install with? Just curious about this after reading about the problems that's been happening such as the black screens, not being able to install etc.

Thanks

Tom

slvr42
May 1st, 2010, 04:54 AM
Most of the graphics problems seem to be from people with high end graphics cards. My little GeForce 120 works just fine. I've done both an upgrade install and a clean load and both worked fine. you could bump up to 9 if you don't want to take the leap on 10 yet.

swoll1980
May 1st, 2010, 04:56 AM
Make a hard disk image with clonezilla. If something goes wrong, or you want to go back you can just blow the image back on there.

Georgia boy
May 1st, 2010, 05:06 AM
My graphics might be kind of in the middle? It's a GeForce 7300LE, I'm usig a HP Pavilion a1440n desktop with 250GB hard drive and 2.0GB of memory. When I do leave Hardy I want to do a clean sweep and get rid of this dual boot of Windows and just have Ubuntu on my system. No other OS besides it. Just that I've been reading a lot of horror stories today on a lot of the upgrades and clean installs. Did notice that there were a lot of Laptop problems but couldn't tell if there was as many Desktop problems or not. I know that there were quite a few that jumped on the very first thing after the final release went out to the open and that there would be a few problems. Just didn't expect to see so many. Guess because I had installed Hardy in August of 2008 after it had been out for a while plus that was when I had heard of Ubuntu and gave it a shot and found myself liking it very much. Was hoping that Lucid would be the same way when it came out.

Tom