PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't log out or shut down via panel Indicator Applet

ricardisimo
April 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Just that. I click on "Log Out..." and get the little confirmation dialogue that says: "Are you sure you want to close all programs and log out of the computer?" I confirm, and then wait, and nothing happens. Same with "Restart..." and also "Shut Down..."

Any ideas?

Sealbhach
May 1st, 2010, 01:29 AM
Does it work OK if you shut down from the System menu?

ricardisimo
May 1st, 2010, 01:50 AM
How does one shut down from the System menu?

Sealbhach
May 1st, 2010, 04:02 AM
How does one shut down from the System menu?

You just click on the System menu in the top panel, and select Shut Down.

ricardisimo
May 1st, 2010, 07:49 AM
There's no "Shut Down" option in the System menu. I think that you are referring to the Indicator Applet, normally on the top panel and to the right. If so, that is precisely what is not working.

I just noticed a similar thread to mine... let's see if someone else is having the same troubles.

ricardisimo
May 2nd, 2010, 09:27 PM
This is now happening on both computers: home and work. One was an upgrade, and the other was a fresh install.

[sigh]

AnAnSwe
May 3rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Same here. Have a Compaq nc6000 laptop with a fresh installation of ubuntu 10.04. When I choose shut down from the top panel and to the right all it does is logging out. Can't shut down in any other way than press and hold down power button :(

I have also tried "gconf-editor" and "/apps/gnome-power-manager/actions/buttons" and set "power button" to "shut down" without any luck.

But today the touch pad works so thats one down one to go.. :D

spiky001
May 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
You can shutdown with terminal

sudo halt

I have seen alot of reports on this my doneit the 1st time!!
I had to do sudo update-grub for another reason but all worked after that maybe coincidence!!!!!!

ricardisimo
May 3rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
sudo update-grub sounds like something one should not be doing without cause. Does it even apply in my case?

spiky001
May 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469595

have a look here

Lachinchon
May 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM
I'll add my voice to the chorus. Shutdown (or restart, too) brought up the user selection screen. Only hard reset got me out. Shutting down using the terminal does not seem like a very user-friendly option.

alexanda
May 3rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
There's no "Shut Down" option in the System menu. I think that you are referring to the Indicator Applet, normally on the top panel and to the right. If so, that is precisely what is not working.

On my install, shutdown only appeared on the system menu after I Right-Clicked on the shutdown Indicator Applet and removed it from the Panel.

ricardisimo
May 4th, 2010, 01:29 AM
On my install, shutdown only appeared on the system menu after I Right-Clicked on the shutdown Indicator Applet and removed it from the Panel.

But did it make any difference? Does it work in any location?

AnAnSwe
May 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469595

have a look here

Thanks!
I'll try this when I get home from work.
I'll get back with information if this works or not.

ricardisimo
May 5th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Mine is fixed. I still had grub - and not grub2 - installed on my system. I followed the instructions in the grub2 wiki (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2) and now all is joy. Thanks for the help.

ricardisimo
May 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I take it all back, and I apologize for not posting earlier. Nothing is fixed. It worked once after installing grub2, then I didn't use this computer again for about a week.

Any other ideas? I can switch users, and I think that includes starting a "guest" session. Otherwise the panel applet does nothing. Well, not nothing... as I stated earlier, it gives me a little pop-up asking for confirmation of whatever I want to do, but that's it. I still have to shut off at the power button or command line, neither of which is very appetizing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ricardisimo
May 16th, 2010, 01:47 PM
It's definitely affecting both of my computers, but differently. I cannot always switch users on one of them, which is all that I can do on the other.

On the work computer (which is the one where I can only switch users) I've noticed that it sometimes behaves for the "base" user account, the one I installed with. Even though the others are also administrators, they don't seem to ever be able to log out or shut down or restart via the panel.

Anyone else having these issues or know of the appropriate Launchpad bug?

ashwinhgtx
May 16th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I have the same problem. I'm using this
sudo shutdown -h now

Is this a bug in Lucid?

ricardisimo
May 17th, 2010, 10:01 AM
And I've been using "sudo reboot" or "sudo shutdown -h now" as well. I have to assume this is a bug.

laidback
May 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I have the same problem. But on my system I use "Switch User" then choose from the icon (applet) at the bottom right of the new window which has "Shut Down" as an option.

Modifying /etc/default/grub didn't help me unfortunately.

Log Out and Restart don't work either.

ricardisimo
May 18th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Hmmm... I'm wondering if this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/562027) is the issue. Do any of you have the OOo 3.2 Quickstarter up on your panel? Try exiting Quickstarter, then see if the panel shutdown/restart works.

I'm not at the right computer until tomorrow, so I can't check.

laidback
May 18th, 2010, 03:36 PM
ricardisimo,

I had the Quickstarter applet as I have done on all my Ubuntu installations, up to now it's been really good.

After I deleted it in 10.04....

I've done 2 shut downs and 1 restart and they've worked each time...fantastic,

ricardisimo
May 18th, 2010, 10:15 PM
ricardisimo,

I had the Quickstarter applet as I have done on all my Ubuntu installations, up to now it's been really good.

After I deleted it in 10.04....

I've done 2 shut downs and 1 restart and they've worked each time...fantastic,

So it worked? Fantastic... I'm off to work to try it now. The shame of it is that I do like the Quickstarter. Have you tried putting it back after the fact? Maybe something just needed to reset. :-k Dunno.

I'll be right back.

laidback
May 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
For now nothing new tried. I'm wondering whether adjustments to the memory settings in OOo would have any effect.

I have created applets/icons for OOo Word and Spreadsheet that reside on the task bar, they work just fine but are not quite as quick as Quickstarter.

ricardisimo
May 19th, 2010, 10:40 PM
For me it seems to have worked. I right-clicked on the OOo quickstarter and selected "disable systray quickstarter" or whatever the option said, and so far all is joy. We'll see if it comes back.

laidback
May 19th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Pleased to hear it, at least we appear to know the cause now.

pizza-is-good
May 20th, 2010, 03:40 AM
For me it seems to have worked. I right-clicked on the OOo quickstarter and selected "disable systray quickstarter" or whatever the option said, and so far all is joy. We'll see if it comes back.

That is what it is. I had the same issue a few days after 10.04 came out. Took me a while to figure it out.
Glad you got it working. Although I came too late, just to confirm that it does work.

Happy ubunting.

~pizza

ricardisimo
May 20th, 2010, 09:19 PM
That is what it is. I had the same issue a few days after 10.04 came out. Took me a while to figure it out.
Glad you got it working. Although I came too late, just to confirm that it does work.

Happy ubunting.

~pizza

Likewise. May I ask if "pizza-is-great" was taken? Because, you know, pizza is great.