PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Speakers don't mute after plugging in headphones

alt.dev
April 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hello all,

I have a Dell Vostro 1014 laptop and I just installed Ubuntu 10.04. The problem I'm facing is that the sound output goes to both the built-in speakers and headphone jack.

Judging from some other threads I think this preliminary info would help in diagnosing the issue :

$lspci -v

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Dell Device 0401
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
Memory at f6afc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

$aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
Codec: Conexant ID 5067

I've searched through /Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt

But I can only see Conexant models upto 5066.

Can anyone help me out on this ?

alt.dev
May 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
bump ?

secondstage
May 3rd, 2010, 10:11 PM
Sounds like this guy has found a fix.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8591687&postcount=4

alt.dev
May 6th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Didn't work. Thanks for the info though. I think I'll wait for them to push the new ALSA driver through updates.

manojendu
May 12th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Wow brother, I too have Dell Vostro 1014, and have had the same problem through Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04, please let me know if and when a solution is found!!

manojendu
May 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Well, the problem is solved (for me!!)
In the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (you may open it with any editor), add the following line (make sure you prefix sudo to the command to make the file writable):

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro

And then reboot.
:P

rowanq
May 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Having the same issue here. HP G60-530US

Here's my output.

:~$ lspci -v

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 360b
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
Memory at d4700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

:~$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]
rowan@Narya-Ubuntu:~$ head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*
==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 <==

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 <==
Codec: Intel G45 DEVCTG

Rowan

zeco
May 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
Codec: Intel G45 DEVCTG

I am having the same problem.. hope someone finds a fix

alt.dev
May 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Well, the problem is solved (for me!!)
In the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf (you may open it with any editor), add the following line (make sure you prefix sudo to the command to make the file writable):

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro

And then reboot.
:P

Didn't work bro. Do you have a Dell Vostro 1014 or something else ?

xeribii
May 15th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Excellent. This problem was solved for me too. I'm running on Ubuntu 10.04, Conexant 5067, after installing the alsa backports that matches the linux kernal and adding the line options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro in the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf .

Thanks! This thing has been troubled me for a while. Finally it's got a great and convenient solution!

babarshahzad
May 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Excellent. This problem was solved for me too. I'm running on Ubuntu 10.04, Conexant 5067, after installing the alsa backports that matches the linux kernal and adding the line options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro in the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf .

Thanks! This thing has been troubled me for a while. Finally it's got a great and convenient solution!

How to get alsa backports?
I also have the same problem with my speaker and headphone.

babarshahzad
May 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I also have del vostro 1014 with ubuntu 10.04 and my speaker do not mute when i connect headphone with it. Please help I have tried all the techneecs given above. Nothing seems to work for me.
Thanks very much!

The Noisiv Studio
June 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Excellent fix for Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX.
Codec : Conexant ID 5067
Installed from Synaptic backport that matched the name of the kernal (e.g. Karmic, Lucid Lynx, etc..)
Added the line .... options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro to the alsa-base.conf file at the end & rebooted.

Everything works the way it should now.
Speakers on laptop provide sound and are muted when headphones are plugged in.

Thanks for finding the fix and providing it to the rest of us. This was annoying.

Jordan Hall
Owner & Project Manager
The Noisiv Studio (http://www.thenoisiv.com)

kamalarora2kin
July 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I have HP compaq dc7100 sff desktop. i have the same problem. i tried the solutions given above, none of them worked. Someone please find the solution and post the new code line which i can add to alsa base and fix the error.

lspci -v

00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 3006
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21
I/O ports at 1000 [size=256]
I/O ports at 1400 [size=64]
Memory at cff40400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Memory at cff40600 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

aplay -l

card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel ICH6]
card 0: ICH6 [Intel ICH6], device 4: Intel ICH - IEC958 [Intel ICH6 - IEC958]

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro this line did not work for me. i tried to add hp-compaq at the end, that even didn't work.

lidex
July 9th, 2010, 02:50 AM
kamalarora2kin
You have completely different hardware, so it's not going to work.
Can you post the output of these terminal commands for me please:

uname -a
aplay -l
dpkg -l | grep "alsa"
head -n 1 /proc/asound/card*/codec#*
Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
Please also include the make/model of your PC/Laptop.
Please post text output using code tags (the # in toolbar)

kamalarora2kin
July 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
thanks lidex for your concern. i have solved it by following some other thread on lauchpad. Actually installing "gnome-alsamixer" solved my problem. it can solve most (may be all) muting problems.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+question/90609

jjjjeremy
July 17th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Excellent fix for Compaq Presario CQ60-615DX.
Codec : Conexant ID 5067
Installed from Synaptic backport that matched the name of the kernal (e.g. Karmic, Lucid Lynx, etc..)
Added the line .... options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro to the alsa-base.conf file at the end & rebooted.

Everything works the way it should now.
Speakers on laptop provide sound and are muted when headphones are plugged in.

Thanks for finding the fix and providing it to the rest of us. This was annoying.

Jordan Hall
Owner & Project Manager
The Noisiv Studio (http://www.thenoisiv.com)

A step-by-step for those who need it (like me)

Compaq CQ60 615DX (for lucid)

1. Applications > Ubuntu Software Center > Edit > Software Sources
2. Password
3. Other Software > Add
4. paste: ppa.launchpad.net/zsitvaij/ppa-zsitvaij/ubuntu > Add Source
5. Open Terminal > type: sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-lucid-generic (installs alsa backports)
6. Password
7. Select Y (yes)
8. type: cd /etc/modeprobe.d (just changes the folder you're working in)
9. type: sudo cp alsa-base.conf alsa-base-backup.conf (creates a backup of the file you are about to edit. To revert, delete alsa-base.conf and rename alsa-base-backup.conf to alsa-base.conf)
10. Password (if needed)
11. type: sudo gedit alsa-base.conf (opens alsa-base.conf for editing)
12. add the line " options snd-hda-intel model=dell-vostro " (without quotation marks) to the end of the file
13. Save
14. Reboot
15. Test

lidex
July 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that jjjjeremy. We in the community appreciate your feedback - it will benefit others.
Remember though, when running GUI apps as root, best to use gksu/gksudo rather than sudo, which is preferred for terminal.
Reference: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

noamb
August 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM
i went through the same process, it all worked well and only now i noticed that it eliminates the mic. now when you plug in a mic nothing happens. any ideas? (talking about compaq presario CQ60 615 DX)
noam

badnaam
August 22nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
It seems I have the exact same models and i went through the same process of installing the backports and adding the dell-vostro line. Still no luck. I get sound from both headphone and speakers.

This is unbelievable, for version 10.4, even the very basic sound doesn't work!! Embarassing for Ubuntu, there is a reason why, Windows leads the desktop market, despite all the other goodness Ubuntu has.

lidex
August 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
It seems I have the exact same models and i went through the same process of installing the backports and adding the dell-vostro line. Still no luck. I get sound from both headphone and speakers.

This is unbelievable, for version 10.4, even the very basic sound doesn't work!! Embarassing for Ubuntu, there is a reason why, Windows leads the desktop market, despite all the other goodness Ubuntu has.
Ubuntu is a community supported OS. Become part of the community and help make it better or get out your wallet and go back to MS. As for your problem,
try running this command in a terminal for 10.04 or later:

ubuntu-bug audio
Reference the Ubuntu-Bug Audio link in my sig.

googeek
September 1st, 2010, 04:59 PM
If you have a Conexant chip set,
your solution is easier than you can imagine. I spent a good four months looking for a solution to this problem, I tried everything under the sun. This driver is the only thing that worked for me. It also got my jack working so I could record music, yay!

http://www.linuxant.com/alsa-driver/

Download the Deb and install it. Restart. Now check out your mixer. Add any new channels that aren't already there through settings. That's it.
Sometimes the mixer freaks out from this install, just restart it with command line.
Also, you will occasionally have to reinstall your awesome all fixing deb as sometimes the ubuntu updates set everything back to default. Not sure why.
Good Luck!

majikins
May 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Got a Dell Vostro with Conexant chip. This download and install worked for me too.

Thanks

majikins
May 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
Got a Dell Vostro with Conexant chip. This download and install worked for me too.

Thanks

eliasdev
September 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Thank you jjjjeremy, it worked to me to, i have a toshiba qosmio and ubuntu 10.4 lts