PDA

View Full Version : Opera 10.53 "Beta Relase Candidate" for Unix

chessnerd
April 30th, 2010, 05:46 PM
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/a-unix-beta-heading-your-way-soon

Yep, Opera 10.5 is making its way towards Unix. I'm now using the 10.53 "Beta RC" and it has fixed several issues even from the most recent 10.52 build. The fonts are a bit better, although still having issues, and things seem snappier. I can see why they are considering this one to be very close to beta. So, I will say a final farewell to Opera 10.10 on my laptop and will now be using this "Beta RC" full time.

If you want to just test Opera (and not overwrite an existing install) download and extract one of the tar archives and run it there.

Opera 10.5 is awesome, I've got it installed on all of my Windows operating systems and love working with it. Fast, powerful, elegant, snappy, packed with features, and yet it keeps out of your way. Since the first beta for Windows I've been itching for it to make its way to Linux and it looks like, slowly but surely, it will.

EDIT: This is a more recent snapshot than the one linked in the post: http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snapshot-6330/

Phrea
April 30th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Big Opera fan myself.
I really hope they will release a final soon, we've been waiting long enough.
10.10 was the last stable release, and the windows users are 3 [three] versions ahead.

EarthMind
April 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM
The Linux release should be around June if I'm not mistaken. And yes, I'm looking forward to it myself because I'm growing a bit tired of the slowness of Firefox in Linux.

chessnerd
April 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Big Opera fan myself.
I really hope they will release a final soon, we've been waiting long enough.
10.10 was the last stable release, and the windows users are 3 [three] versions ahead.

Yeah, and I thought that they were going to release both the Mac and Linux versions at the same pace (since they are both Unix-based), so I was a bit upset to see that the Mac one was released first, but the Mac version was ready and the builds of 10.52 that I had been testing were really buggy. What did I expect?

Remember, patience is a virtue. :-)

The Linux release should be around June if I'm not mistaken.

JUNE!!! :shock: I can't wait that long for a stable build!!!!!!1 :cry:

YeOK
April 30th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, and I thought that they were going to release both the Mac and Linux versions at the same pace (since they are both Unix-based), so I was a bit upset to see that the Mac one was released first, but the Mac version was ready and the builds of 10.52 that I had been testing were really buggy. What did I expect?

http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Release date is on the 10.5x logo. I think its worth the wait, removing QT from the unix builds brings it in-line with the Windows platform, it also looks a hell of a lot better, uses my gtk theme and seems more responsive.

EarthMind
April 30th, 2010, 06:21 PM
I bet it'll be worth the wait :). I'd rather want a late but good release for Linux than a failed Windows port.

mikewhatever
April 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
All right, what the hell is beta RC which is getting close to beta. Those Norwegians must be drunk or stoned (probably fighting of the leftovers of a winter time depression).

chessnerd
April 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Release date is on the 10.5x logo. I think its worth the wait, removing QT from the unix builds brings it in-line with the Windows platform, it also looks a hell of a lot better, uses my gtk theme and seems more responsive.

Thanks for the link, although they seem to be behind schedule already as there was supposed to be a beta in mid-April.

I understand why it is taking so long and I think that it is important for them to make these improvements. I agree that GTK looks a lot better than QT and I like what they are doing with the interface for Unix. However, I do think it's a bit unfair that Windows and Mac people get to have all the stability and support while us Linux/Unix folks are forced to wait...

Still, it will be here before I know it. I can be patient.

All right, what the hell is beta RC which is getting close to beta. Those Norwegians must be drunk or stoned (probably fighting of the leftovers of a winter time depression).

I think the name is clever. It denotes the fact that it is near to Beta but not there just yet. Its less ambiguous than "Alpha 3" or something because there can always be an Alpha 4, 5, 6, 10, 23, etc.

Phrea
April 30th, 2010, 06:31 PM

I think it comes down to two things:
First: the whole MS Browser Ballot thingy, it made Opera push 10.50 out sooner than it sh[w]ould have [hence the 2 debug versions already]
Second: the iPhone/iPad release

meho_r
April 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Well, for a beta RC it works remarkably well. I've been using it for these 2 days full-time, and there were almost no issues.

chessnerd
April 30th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Well, for a beta RC it works remarkably well. I've been using it for these 2 days full-time, and there were almost no issues.

I agree. I was using the build right before 10.53 (snapshot 6625 I think?) and it locked up and crashed a couple of times over the course of just a few hours. In addition to that, it just "felt" buggy. There were various weird quirks, like sometimes alt-text/tool-tips wouldn't completely go away. Not to mention the fact that the fonts were Terrible, with a bold capital T. (Literally, most capital letters looked bold for some reason)

I'm glad that they are getting closer to finishing and I'm sure that when the final build is out Opera 10.5 for Unix will be amazing.