PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how do i set permissions on var/www ???

whitetimer
April 30th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hi All

Just setting up flash-builder 4 in xubuntu and when i try to set up a test project on the server /var/www i receive a write permissions not allowed ...

How do i set read & write on this folder to my user-name please ?

:guitar:

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hi All

Just setting up flash-builder 4 in xubuntu and when i try to set up a test project on the server /var/www i receive a write permissions not allowed ...

use sudo. the permissions are correct for the folder, but your user does not have access to write into the directory.

sudo vi /var/www/magic.html

whitetimer
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hi All

Sorted ... I did this sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www

:lolflag:

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM

that is a horrible idea

sisco311
April 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM

Hmmm, not the best solution.

Check out:

community/ApacheMySQLPHP#Virtual%20Hosts
and
community/FilePermissions

whitetimer
April 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hi

Its just a development pc at home, thats why i did it that way for now.

:(

arrrghhh
April 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Just curious, what should the permissions look like for /var/www? Obviously owned by www-data user&group, but what about read & write permissions?

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Just curious, what should the permissions look like for /var/www? Obviously owned by www-data user&group, but what about read & write permissions?

foo@ubuntu:~$ ls -hal /var/
drwxr-xr-x. 6 root root 4.0K 2009-12-03 09:26 www
foo@ubuntu:~$

arrrghhh
April 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Owned by root:root? I have my owned by www-data:www-data...

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Owned by root:root? I have my owned by www-data:www-data...

hmm that is weird it should be owned by www-data:www-data. I didnt even look when I copy and pasted... now I am wondering what happend to my little ubuntu. :)

cdenley
April 30th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Why would you want it owned by www-data? You don't what apache to be able to modify the files it is serving. A compromise in apache or a web application could then compromise your content, spreading malware to your website visitors.

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Why would you want it owned by www-data? You don't what apache to be able to modify the files it is serving. A compromise in apache or a web application could then compromise your content, spreading malware to your website visitors.
on the same note though, if your visitors are say uploading photos and your storage for those is /var/www/photos apache would need to be able to write there.

arrrghhh
April 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
So www-data should own stuff that users need to upload to, but if they're just downloading and not needing any write permissions whatsoever, owning by root:root is expected?

Also, back to chmod permissions... do I chmod to 766 to achieve the correct rights?

cdenley
April 30th, 2010, 04:54 PM
on the same note though, if your visitors are say uploading photos and your storage for those is /var/www/photos apache would need to be able to write there.

Allowing visitors to upload files to /var/www is another horrible idea. I hope you don't allow any malicious PHP scripts to be uploaded. If you need to allow uploads, it is best to place uploaded files somewhere else. If you're trusting and want to allow uploads to /var/www/photos, then give write permission for that directory, not all of /var/www.

ghost_ryder35
April 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Allowing visitors to upload files to /var/www is another horrible idea. I hope you don't allow any malicious PHP scripts to be uploaded. If you need to allow uploads, it is best to place uploaded files somewhere else. If you're trusting and want to allow uploads to /var/www/photos, then give write permission for that directory, not all of /var/www.
touché

cdenley
April 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
So www-data should own stuff that users need to upload to, but if they're just downloading and not needing any write permissions whatsoever, owning by root:root is expected?

Also, back to chmod permissions... do I chmod to 766 to achieve the correct rights?

Pretty much. I usually just give all users write-permission if apache needs to write to a directory.

755 for directories like /var/www, 644 for files, assuming it is owned by root.

arrrghhh
May 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Pretty much. I usually just give all users write-permission if apache needs to write to a directory.

755 for directories like /var/www, 644 for files, assuming it is owned by root.

Excellent, thank you. I just adjusted all my permissions, so only the upload directory is owned by www-data/chmodd'd to 777 :D