PDA

View Full Version : 10.04 upgrade fails: "ubuntu-desktop" in the removal blacklist

Kurtosis
April 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hi all, I'm trying to update Mythbuntu 9.10 to 10.04, using the 'Upgrade to 10.04' button in the updater. However, I get the following error (condensed, couldn't ctrl-c and copy it verbatim):

Cannot calculate update. Package "ubuntu-desktop" is marked for removal, but is in the removal blacklist.

In the Mythbuntu Control Center, I have 'Ubuntu Desktop' checked as one of the Desktop Roles. Is it possible to upgrade the Ubuntu Desktop role to 10.04 this way?

Thanks!

superm1
April 30th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Hi all, I'm trying to update Mythbuntu 9.10 to 10.04, using the 'Upgrade to 10.04' button in the updater. However, I get the following error (condensed, couldn't ctrl-c and copy it verbatim):

In the Mythbuntu Control Center, I have 'Ubuntu Desktop' checked as one of the Desktop Roles. Is it possible to upgrade the Ubuntu Desktop role to 10.04 this way?

Thanks!

It should be, but you might have some other bug blocking it that wasn't caught during 10.04 development. You should be able to file a bug using this command:

ubuntu-bug update-manager

That should hopefully attach the necessary logs to the bug and file it to the right place.

dgleeson
April 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I had the same problem, ended up removing all the selected sources from the source management util (System->admin->software sources) and running the update utility again. Theres probably one in there causing the problem.

Worked for me after that. GL

Kurtosis
April 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM

That should hopefully attach the necessary logs to the bug and file it to the right place.
Done, thanks. Attached my report to a similar one already in there, but where the problem is with xubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop, instead of mythbuntu and ubuntu-desktop.

Kurtosis
April 30th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I had the same problem, ended up removing all the selected sources from the source management util (System->admin->software sources) and running the update utility again. Theres probably one in there causing the problem.

Worked for me after that. GL
Thanks, will try it. However, I notice that the updater automatically does that (or at least says it does).

kcm
April 30th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I am having the same problem, and I found this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/571743

which indicates that the bug is triggered by having both xubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop installed (I do). I'm about to try one of the suggestions in the replies there.

kcm
April 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Now I notice Kurtosis at bottom of bug report I listed in above post, but maybe the link will help somebody else...

It looks like the mythbuntu-desktop vs. ubuntu-desktop problem is the same as the xubuntu-desktop vs. ubuntu-desktop problem. mythbuntu-desktop depends on libsdl1.2debian-alsa, which conflicts with the libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio package upon which ubuntu-desktop depends.

My reading of that would be that there's no way (as the packages currently stand) to have mythbuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop simultaneously installed on a 10.4 box. With xubuntu-desktop the libsdl1.2debian-alsa package is only a recommends, not a dependency, so it should be possible to have xubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop installed simultaneously after the upgrade. I'll be finding out soon.

Kurtosis
April 30th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks KCM. I guess I'll continue running 9.10 until a workaround or fix is implemented.

AKADAP
May 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM
Now I notice Kurtosis at bottom of bug report I listed in above post, but maybe the link will help somebody else...

It looks like the mythbuntu-desktop vs. ubuntu-desktop problem is the same as the xubuntu-desktop vs. ubuntu-desktop problem. mythbuntu-desktop depends on libsdl1.2debian-alsa, which conflicts with the libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio package upon which ubuntu-desktop depends.

My reading of that would be that there's no way (as the packages currently stand) to have mythbuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop simultaneously installed on a 10.4 box. With xubuntu-desktop the libsdl1.2debian-alsa package is only a recommends, not a dependency, so it should be possible to have xubuntu-desktop and ubuntu-desktop installed simultaneously after the upgrade. I'll be finding out soon.

I have already done this experiment. I uninstalled the mythbuntu-desktop, and was able to upgrade to 10.04. After the upgrade, if I try to re-install mythbuntu-desktop, it wants to uninstall ubuntu-desktop. I decided not to re-install mythbuntu-desktop.

Other problems I had:
After upgrade, I could only use video safe mode until I installed the ATI proprietary video driver.
Google Earth no longer works.
mythfrontend segmentation faults when I try and run live TV.

Kurtosis
May 1st, 2010, 10:21 PM
I'm thinking about just wiping sda1 and reinstalling Ubuntu 10.04 from scratch there, then installing the MythTV packages from the repo. I'm running a desktop with TV capabilities, not a HTPC w/ desktop capabilities anyway.

/home is on sdb1, so I should be able to do that, right? Then remount sdb1 to /home and chown it?

kcm
May 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Yes - you can certainly keep home during a reinstall when it's on a second partition. I've done it many times. You can tell the installer about it, but don't let it reformat it - that way you won't have to deal with fixing the mounting after the re-install.

Weidbrewer
May 3rd, 2010, 01:13 AM
I am having the same problem with my upgrade. Looking in /var/log/dist-upgrade, which file do I find the error report to post?

Kurtosis
May 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
I am having the same problem with my upgrade. Looking in /var/log/dist-upgrade, which file do I find the error report to post?
If you use the bug report command line tool, you shouldn't have to dig around for it, it will handle that for you. Just type this at a terminal prompt:

Kurtosis
May 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
Yes - you can certainly keep home during a reinstall when it's on a second partition. I've done it many times. You can tell the installer about it, but don't let it reformat it - that way you won't have to deal with fixing the mounting after the re-install.
Thanks, just finished reinstalling. <3 the installer that lets you mount the old /home drive without overwriting it.

Weidbrewer
May 5th, 2010, 02:35 AM
If you use the bug report command line tool, you shouldn't have to dig around for it, it will handle that for you. Just type this at a terminal prompt:

Hmm...this is what I get, a popup that says:

"The problem cannot be reported:

This is not a genuine Ubuntu package"

superm1
May 5th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Hmm...this is what I get, a popup that says:

"The problem cannot be reported:

This is not a genuine Ubuntu package"

Open update manager and check for updates and that should go away.

Weidbrewer
May 5th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Still didn't work.

It occurs to me, that this install is technically Mythbuntu.

mebigfatguy
May 20th, 2010, 05:24 PM
as was referenced in the related link, i had xubuntu and ubuntu installed, by doing:

apt-get remove xubuntu-desktop

and then upgrading it worked.. thanks!

benkokes
September 2nd, 2010, 06:52 AM
I was having similar issues. The fix for me was to remove Mythbuntu-desktop.

I performed this action by going into Applications > System> Synaptic Package Manager and removing the Mythbuntu-desktop and all of its dependents. Worked like a charm.

dancro
September 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
I had the same problem with "ubuntu-desktop in the removal blacklist" and have now fixed it. Thanks to all who preceded me in this effort, it was by reading posts here that I finally figured out what to do.

I updated my machine to 10.4 and that's when the problem began. This machine also has Mythtv installed. In System>Administration>Mythbuntu Control Center, under the System Roles is Desktop Role where there is a check box for Ubuntu Desktop, which was checked.

I unchecked Ubuntu Desktop and clicked Apply then Quit. Then I started Mythbuntu Control Center again and selected System Updates from the System Roles tab.

I received the message about Partial Updates and selected that option.
Several updates were applied and some packages were removed. The update completed without any error message.

When I restart Update Manager it reports "Your system is up to date".

Hope this information helps someone else, because many people on this site have helped me.

Thanks again to all of you who support all of us.:)

andysummerskill
October 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM
I had exactly the same problem.

Unchecking 'Ubuntu Desktop' in MCC allowed the upgrade to proceed.

However, then had to dowload Ubuntu desktop components again once the upgrade completed.

Andy

taing
January 1st, 2011, 07:43 AM
I have the same error message and found that

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktopsolved it nicely.