PDA

View Full Version : How to restore the Show Desktop icon in Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix

mohico
April 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hello

I'm giving Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix a go after seeing it in action on the Nokia N900.

2 quick questions:
- I've deleted the Show Desktop icon (the one with the Ubuntu symbol on the up-left corner) by mistake and can't get it back - any advice?
- It seems that I can't get rid of the menu on the left - is it the one things work? I'd like to see a clear desktop - should be do-able, no?

Looking forward to your tips.

Best
M

Jon Monreal
April 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I don't use UNR, so I can't offer much help.

For the first problem, try right-clicking on the panel and selecting "Add to Panel...". "Show Desktop" should hopefully be in this list.

mohico
April 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I don't use UNR, so I can't offer much help.

For the first problem, try right-clicking on the panel and selecting "Add to Panel...". "Show Desktop" should hopefully be in this list.

Thanks for the reply. Surprisingly, there is no "add to Panel" option!! I get (Preferences, About, Remove from Panel, Move, and Lock to Panel)!

Best
M

Paqman
April 30th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Surprisingly, there is no "add to Panel" option!!

There won't be, because there's no free space in the panel to add one to. In UNR the panel is taken up by one big transparent applet. In cases like yours that's actually a bit of a pain.

I'm not 100% this will sort you out, but you should be able to restore the default panels by opening an terminal and pasting in this:

gconftool-2 – -shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

mohico
April 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I'm not 100% this will sort you out, but you should be able to restore the default panels by opening an terminal and pasting in this:

Many thanks! It works! :)

Any ideas re. the second question? Do I have to stick with a menu for ever - can I get a Desktop in UNR somehow?

M

Jon Monreal
April 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Try Preferences>Switch Desktop Mode.

You might need to install ubuntu-desktop.

Paqman
April 30th, 2010, 05:31 PM
can I get a Desktop in UNR somehow?

Well, that menu is (most of) what sets UNR apart from the regular Gnome Ubuntu desktop. You should be able to turn your Netbook Remix into standard Ubuntu though, just uninstall all the Netbook packages (netbook-launcher, maximus, etc) and install ubuntu-desktop.

dalee
April 30th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hi,

I didn't have to uninstall UNR desktop to get Gnome working. I simply installed the Gnome packages I wanted. I then could to log into either desktop. But, if you don't like UNR, there is little reason to keep it either.

dalee

mohico
April 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Try Preferences>Switch Desktop Mode.

You might need to install ubuntu-desktop.

The desktop-switcher is not available. As I've understood from other threads, the package was dropped as it was too buggy. Now the only way to do it seems to be by "killing the ume-launcher process" (or uninstalling it as you pointed out) - something I will leave after going through the beginners' tutorials offered on this forum.

Many thanks.
M

themusicalduck
April 30th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I found out that you can go into normal desktop mode if you press ctrl+alt+f1, type
sudo service gdm stop (this will close any open programs at the time) and then type
startx

Although I think I last used it on Karmic not Lucid, and I don't know if using it in this mode would cause any problems with using it in netbook remix mode.