PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recording on Linux Vs. Mac

IVXCVI
April 30th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Hello,

I have a question about audio recording.

I've always wanted to set up a sort of personal studio. Not anything too professional, but I want to be able to make quality recordings without too many problems. All I'll probably end up using is a midi keyboard electric guitar and bass. But what I was wondering was, is it a better idea to get a Mac for something like that, or will Ubuntu support that just fine? I know there's great software available, and I've gotten used to using Jack. But I've read problems about real-time kernel support and xruns with Jack and Ardour, and I'm just wondering if that's something that will make using Ubuntu for this complicated.

Regards,

Tim

cchhrriiss121212
April 30th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I have a similar setup and ubuntu can handle everything I want very capably. The only complicated part about jackd is getting it setup correctly, and after that it is just a matter of learning how to get the most out of it.

But I've read problems about real-time kernel support and xruns with Jack and Ardour...
I don't know what this might refer to, do you mean that lucid will not have a realtime kernel (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1463455)?
Xruns occur when settings for jack are too much for jack to handle, or when something interferes with the audio chain. If you have the money to spend then a mac would be a no-brainer (as you could install jack on it as well), but I would try and see whether ubuntu works for you first as it won't cost you a penny.

If you want some good quality then you also should look at supported soundcards (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1449800), as they will really make a difference compared with onboard audio.

IVXCVI
May 8th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks cchhrriiss121212,

I don't know what specifically caused the xruns, but I was having trouble with them randomly, and I've read that they occur in linux frequently because the rt-kernel was not very compatible with Ubuntu. All of that is from memory, though. I can't give you specific links, and I'm probably confused about it anyhow. Thank you for clearing that up, though. I'll make sure to get a supported audio card for my next PC.

I appreciate your help,

Tim