PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Edges of screen chopped off? Need custom resolution?

tehfade
April 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I'm using Lucid and trying to connect my box to my HDTV over HDMI. The only resolutions I have available are 1280x720 and 720x480, neither of which work. Obviously, 720x480 is way too small, and the other one results in the edges of my screen getting chopped off.

Where do I start on fixing this? I assume I need to set a custom resolution, but where the hell do I do that?

tehfade
April 30th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Bump. I have an Nvidia card, which I just installed the drivers for. Failed to mention that because last time I tried this, I had the same exact issue, nvidia=settings gave me a list of resolutions that all get cut off.

Apparently in the months since then, nvidia-settings has been revamped, because now I seem to be able to define any resolution I want--and whatever I put in, the cut-off problem is the same. What could be the issue here? I've played with the settings on my receiver and TV, so SFAIK it isn't them. I'm stumped, and I'd be happy to RTFM if I knew what FM it was! Is there a way to tell the system to only use a certain portion of the screen?

chopz
April 30th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I am having the same issue except I am using an acer aspire revo. The default OS on this system was originally windows xp and the nvidia driver had this utility that let you fine tune where the edges of the screen were located. Maybe there's some utility like that we can use?

chopz
April 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Found the answer! Look here
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1369029&highlight=screen+edges

worked like a charm for me.

:guitar:

tehfade
May 4th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Bump. As nice as it would be if the issue could be corrected with the TV settings, that's not the case. I've played with the settings on them many times before, and there just isn't anything that will fix it.

Anyone have any other ideas?