PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Has anyone tried Real Player 11 in 10.04 yet?

Jazzmaster94
April 29th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I know it's a bit early to ask questions about 10.04 seeing as though a lot of people are still downloading. Has anyone finished downloading 10.04 and tried Real Player 11? Just curious because I need Real Player 11 to have a legal way of opening most of the restricted formats (I do live in the U.S. so the DMCA prevents me from legally using the restricted-extras packages). I do have an existing install of Ubuntu 9.10 (with Real Player 11 installed & configured for Rhythm Box, Fire Fox 3.5, and Totem (or Movie Player)), and I plan on dragging my feet on the Upgrade so that the server traffic thins out a bit. So I will wait about a week or so. Best of luck to those who are Upgrading right now!

Jive Turkey
April 30th, 2010, 03:09 AM
If you use bittorrent to get the iso you don't need to worry about server traffic, everybody shares the load and its wicked fast right now.

I haven't tried realplayer since 2002, and that was on windows. It seemed pretty ahead of its time back then. I might give it a try on lucid next week sometime.

Jazzmaster94
April 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the advice with the torrent, though I still plan on using Update Manager to recieve the upgrade (just easier in my opinion, and easier is better considering I am still new to Ubuntu and Linux in general). I will still wait to see if there are any problems with Radeon graphics and the opensource driver, as well as if there are issues with the new GRUB. Issues with GRUB are important to me because I have a dual boot with Vi$ta, which was reinstalled via a recovery DVD and it is the last License I have to Vi$ta, so if a GRUB update is in the Upgrade process I want to know whether or not it will cause GRUB not to see my Windows. Thanks again for the suggestion Jive Turkey, but I think I will just wait it out for a week or two just to see how everyone else's upgrades go.

Raizen44
August 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the advice with the torrent, though I still plan on using Update Manager to recieve the upgrade (just easier in my opinion, and easier is better considering I am still new to Ubuntu and Linux in general). I will still wait to see if there are any problems with Radeon graphics and the opensource driver, as well as if there are issues with the new GRUB. Issues with GRUB are important to me because I have a dual boot with Vi$ta, which was reinstalled via a recovery DVD and it is the last License I have to Vi$ta, so if a GRUB update is in the Upgrade process I want to know whether or not it will cause GRUB not to see my Windows. Thanks again for the suggestion Jive Turkey, but I think I will just wait it out for a week or two just to see how everyone else's upgrades go.

10.04 is my first Lunux OS, just transferred over from Windows last July. I'm ok with it and have real player 11, works ok most of the time but I'm having problems with playing some files and I keep hacing problems. in the details, it says that I need this:

video/X-HX-AVC1

can anyone help me with this?

Jazzmaster94
August 23rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
Well, I am not having success with Realplayer in 10.04, it no longer gives the codecs to other players. If videos are your aim, I would seek the illegal (under the U.S. D.M.C.A.) codecs, the Helix Based RP11 doesn't do very well in 10.04. I wish I could help you further (and solve my own problems with RP11 and 10.04), but I will be removing Ubuntu 10.04 (again) due to start up issues I hope will be resolved in either openSUSE 11.3 or Pardus Linux. Best of luck to you in resolving your playback issue, sorry I am not of much help.