PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The Written-By-Newbie-For-Newbie Guide to Watching YouTube Videos

JakeLawrence
April 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
What to expect:

If you want to get your hand held through a process that, in theory, is exceptionally easy but, in practice, will most likely waste hours of your time, then this guide is exactly for you. Don't think you can effectively navigate through "terminals" and type in code? You've come to the right place.

Yes, I'm talking about why you can't view videos from YouTube, Hulu, Vimeo, etc. on your newly installed Ubuntu OS. You'll be able to watch your favorite LOLcat video shortly.

What you need:

You need a fresh install of Karmic Ubuntu (9.10) or higher. As in, if you've already scoured the net for tutorials on this subject and downloaded heaps of garbage you don't need (like downloading 32-bit plugins for your 64-bit system) then refer to the end of this page for help.*

Why this exists:

This is a guide written by a newbie for newbies. At the time of the inception of this guide, I've had Ubuntu installed for two days now. And for two days I've been trying to watch YouTube videos. Yes, I suck that much. So, to save other newbies from such aggravation, bon appetit.

How To Watch YouTube Videos (And More)

Get Some Updates. First things first. Go to Applications to Accessories to Terminal and type
sudo apt-get update This line will then appear, prompting you for your password
[sudo] password for your user name: following by a blinking bar. IMPORTANT: CAN'T TYPE IN YOUR PASSWORD? NO FEAR. You don't need a "[sudo] password," all you do is simply type in the password you logged in with (the one you designated during installation) and hit enter. THERE IS NO VISUAL FEEDBACK FOR THE PASSWORD. So you won't see your password being typed in, you'll just see that dumb, annoying, blinking bar. After you've entered your correct password, you'll see a long stream of lines detailing what was installed, and then this line before the default line:
Reading package lists... Done. After this step, you're good to go onto the next step!
Get Extra Repositories. Nothing original in this step, simply do everything Ubuntucat tells you to do on this link: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources. Now, wasn't that easy?
Get Ubuntu Restricted Extras. Now that you have your updates and your extra repositories, you'll be able to install the Ubuntu Restricted Extras package. To get this, simply go to Applications then to Ubuntu Software Center, search for 'restricted' and then click on 'Ubuntu Restricted Extras' and click on install.

AND THAT'S IT

Enjoy this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuNprTu5Y5c

*Troubleshooting section to follow, followed by screenshots of everything.

To everyone else:

I'll be editing this guide as I get feedback. What needs to be improved, omitted, changed, etc.? Criticism is extremely helpful.

Questions:

Does this work for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems?
In what scenario doesn't this guide work?

JakeLawrence
April 30th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Is Step #1 the same thing as "System -> Administration -> Update Manager -> Check" ?