PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 Server cpufreq missing drivers

BkkBonanza
April 29th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hello,

I'm running 9.10 server on a mini-itx board. The CPU is Core 2 Duo T5450 and supports Enhanced Speedstep and the BIOS is set to auto, enabling C1E.

I've been trying to get cpufreq to work but none of the drivers are present.
When I try to load suitable ones they are always not found.

Does someone know if cpufreq is not supported on the server kernal? Or what command will apt-get the modules that aren't here now?

I've been reading the cpufreq tutorials but can't get past loading a suitable driver - which means I'm nowhere now. My notebook runs the same CPU and cpufreq is working fine with desktop Ubuntu install of 9.10.

Any ideas or help much appreciated. Thx.

vzgromozdun
July 4th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Hello,

I'm running 9.10 server on a mini-itx board. The CPU is Core 2 Duo T5450 and supports Enhanced Speedstep and the BIOS is set to auto, enabling C1E.

I've been trying to get cpufreq to work but none of the drivers are present.
When I try to load suitable ones they are always not found.

Does someone know if cpufreq is not supported on the server kernal? Or what command will apt-get the modules that aren't here now?

I've been reading the cpufreq tutorials but can't get past loading a suitable driver - which means I'm nowhere now. My notebook runs the same CPU and cpufreq is working fine with desktop Ubuntu install of 9.10.

Any ideas or help much appreciated. Thx.

Hi,

Have almost the same configuration and the same problem! Did you find any solution?

DJYoshaBYD
July 4th, 2010, 05:50 AM
i think you would be better off putting this in the hardware forum.. just because its not a server issue.. its an actual kernel-hardware problem..

try your post over there, or have a MOD move this one.. that will probably help :)

BkkBonanza
July 4th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I didn't get this to work. It seems the cpufreq support is BIOS dependent and the BIOS has tables that determine how to handle it for various CPUs. As best I can tell since this particular cpu model is not officially supported on this board (though it works fine) it appears the BIOS table entries may not be present and so it's not getting activated. After looking through everything I could find it seems the only solution is to replace the CPU with a model supported such as a P8400, for example. I'm not ready to do that yet so for now I just run without cpufreq.

vzgromozdun
July 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM
BkkBonaza, could you please tell name of motherbord?

I'm using Intel® Desktop Board D510MO (Atom CPU integrated). Just flashed latest bios - still no success

BkkBonanza
July 8th, 2010, 08:56 AM
The Atom does not support Speedstep so it will never function with CpuFreq.
Check the Intel docs for confirmation.

cylent
June 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM
The Atom does not support Speedstep so it will never function with CpuFreq.
Check the Intel docs for confirmation.

this maybe an old thread i am reviving here but i have an atom d2700.
in windows everything works great however in linux my cpu cannot be throttled and yes it does mention that on the intel website for the specs.

my thread is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12022597&posted=1#post12022597