PDA

View Full Version : Install Mythbuntu 10.04 on AppleTV?

nomnom
April 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Hello everyone. I would like to install mythbuntu 10.04 on my AppleTV. I would like to know:

Will 10.04 support AppleTV?
Can I install 10.04 via a usb stick (4GB) as I don't have an external CD-ROM

Many thanks,
nomnom
:popcorn:

mrtisoy
May 5th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Yes on both questions.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_On_AppleTV_with_Mythbuntu_9.10

iitywygms
May 5th, 2010, 05:34 AM
I ran myth on the atv for about a year. It BARELY has enough power to run it. Yes it ran with the slim profile settings and every possible feature turned off.
I ended up selling the atv and buying a revo. IMO, the atv is just not quite powerful enough.

Nico7as
October 26th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I'm really interested in installing MythBuntu 10.04 on AppleTV too!!

I read the 9.10 HowTo but I fear upgrading 9.10 to 10.04 won't be as easy as installing 10.04 from scratch...and what about upgrading MythTV simultaneously??

Did anybody installed 10.04 from scratch yet???

some help would really be appreciated!

about the lack of power, maybe the Crystal HD decoder PCI-e card and the Ubuntu drivers will help
on aTV OS+XBMC it helps, a lot!

rhpot1991
October 26th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Save yourself the trouble and just get a real PC in the form of an ION or ION2. You can build your own or buy one from a vendor that supports Linux for cheaper than you can get a device from Apple which is locked down and needs heavy modification to be useful.

Here is a review I did of my ION box: http://www.baablogic.net/drupal/node/2

Nico7as
October 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
I know it would be better, but right now, I already have a Apple TV with crystal HD, and no extra money to spend. So I'll do my best to get it running. Unfortunately I'm a real Linux/Ubuntu newbie, with no knowledge of command lines whatsoever (I'm a Mac User, I barely use the Terminal)
If you have helpful advices to get MythBuntu running on an AppleTV, that would be appreciated, otherwise, well, I'm not really interrested.

I keep your advice in mind though, 'cause I may want to get a mini-PC some day, and I know that ION-based PCs are great.

rhpot1991
October 27th, 2010, 06:33 PM
You should be able to follow the wiki linked above and just use the latest Mythbuntu release. Keep in mind that the currently MythTV release doesn't use broadcom's crystal HD. It however should be somewhat supported in the next MythTV release.