PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my netbook to 10.04

47of74
April 29th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'll probably be taking my netbook up to Lucid here in a few days. My question is if I should bother with the Netbook Edition or just get the standard edition? Are there any packages in the netbook edition that can help with processing, power, etc on a netbook? More importantly, can the special netbook desktop be turned off in favor of the standard UI?

Sprutnik
April 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I think you should go for UNE. In 10.04, you have the option, at the login screen, to either login to UNE or standard Gnome.

47of74
April 29th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I think you should go for UNE. In 10.04, you have the option, at the login screen, to either login to UNE or standard Gnome.

Sounds like a plan - I think I'll do that once 10.04 becomes available for download.

moonport
April 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM

I didn't know about it (both login's screen).
Thanks for the tip.

snowpine
April 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM
If you like the "launcher" interface, install UNE. If you prefer the Gnome desktop, install "regular" Ubuntu. That's the only major difference.

Guy Sibley
April 29th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Would there be a significant difference in functionality?

snowpine
April 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Would there be a significant difference in functionality?

No; they share the same software repository and run the same applications. :)

ben1986
April 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
No there's no difference in functionality, the UNE places a small demand on your graphics card, but thats about it. I know this because my ancient X31 couldn't handle the Jaunty UNE, but upgrading to Lucid fixed everything. I think the only difference was the size of the bootdisk (though I might be making that up) because I think I chose UNE because I was creating a Live SDHC card to install from, and the UNE was a smaller file. But I could be wrong...

If your netbook is a real netbook, then the UNE is for you, but if the screen is big enough that the gnome environment would work I recommend going for that.

Gidskid
April 29th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Is there an upgrade version? I've tried doing through the upgrade manager but it says it can't download the release notes? Any Ideas?

ben1986
April 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
What do you mean by download notes?

Does upgrade manager not offer the 10.04 upgrade option?

if not, try alt+f2, then typing "update-manager -d" (without the quotes)

Gidskid
April 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Update Manager gives me the option to upgrade, "-d" returns an error?

ben1986
April 29th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Ok, then what happens after you click on the upgrade button?

What do you mean by download notes?

I'm confused as to what exactly is the problem here :) I'm assuming you're running 9.10 at the moment, you open update manager, you see the option button for upgrading to 10.04, you're clicking it, and it is installing the packages and upgrading the system. Is this the case? I'm unsure as to what problem you need solving.

Gidskid
April 29th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Ok well I open the Upgrade Manager, click upgrade to LTS and then it gives me an error. I tried it in the terminal also and this is what i Got:

update-manager -d

(update-manager:7519): IBUS-WARNING **: Connect to unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-GeI7SBt97Z,guid=1dd72cf960ef9ec44b633bf34bbed73c failed: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-GeI7SBt97Z: Connection refused.

ben1986
April 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Right, sorry mate, I'm not much use to you then, still pretty new myself.

I'm sure a more knowledgeable type will come in soon and reveal all :)

snowpine
April 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Ok well I open the Upgrade Manager, click upgrade to LTS and then it gives me an error.

What exactly is the "error"?

update-manager -d won't work any more because 10.04 is no longer the development release

zoomy942
May 1st, 2010, 04:27 AM
so i have the netbook edition now - but no desktop effects. is this normal?

Gidskid
May 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Fixed upgraded without any more problems, its not very different from 9.10, i'm not convinced it was worth it tbh

mihar
May 2nd, 2010, 11:36 AM
If you need more tips on optimising the new release on a netbook, check out my post on this: http://breakthebit.org/post/564380600/pimp-my-linux-ubuntu-10-04

I mostly replaced the built-in netbook tweaks, for even more lightweight options :-)

lostcarpark
May 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Fixed upgraded without any more problems, its not very different from 9.10, i'm not convinced it was worth it tbh

Boot up time seems a lot faster on my Asus Aspire One - reduced from over a minute to about 30 secs. That's worth it for me.

interglossa
May 15th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I have UNE10.04 for my vintage ASUS EEE 701 which I still really like - but the startup time on the flash drive is still very slow (5 minutes) but with the caspar file system and the flash drive factored in I would like to think that is not so surprising. Has anyone had a good experience running UNE 10.04 on a 701 (the first netbook sold and of course much more modest in cpu and ssd space as later models).

Also I notice that they have separate mount points under /var which eats up half a gig which is not great, plus I prefer the earth tone themes of the early ubuntu to this purple haze background. They had perfection and really didn't need to change it. But I am mostly concerned about the performance.