PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless just stopped working

bkwoods
April 29th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I have had ubuntu about a month now and everything has worked great up until now, I was surfing the web and all the sudden I lost connection. I tried to connect to the signal but got nothing so I did a reboot. After the reboot my wireless signal didn't show up. i right clicked the connection icon on the top taskbar and the enable wireless is blacked out to where i cant click it.

Any help would be great, thank you in advance!

bkwoods
April 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
when i do a /sbin/iwconfig

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=off
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

It looks like wlan0 is up and running so im not sure why it says wireless is off and i cant connect?

bkratz
April 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
when i do a /sbin/iwconfig

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=off
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

It looks like wlan0 is up and running so im not sure why it says wireless is off and i cant connect?

I notice that it says "Tx-Power=off" you might try

sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower 15

and see what happens, report any errors, or try a smaller number if needed (say 10 or 5 )

bkwoods
April 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I tried the command with 5, 10, and 15 and the output for /sbin/iwconfig still reads tx-Power= off

bkratz
April 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I tried the command with 5, 10, and 15 and the output for /sbin/iwconfig still reads tx-Power= off

How about the output of

rfkill list

NichoTL
April 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Is it a laptop you are using?

I know it sounds silly but I mention it because quite a few people have had similar issues: if it is a laptop, is there a button to enable wi-fi?

rudiger_wolf
April 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I had the same problem. My Dell has touch sensitive multifunction keys and I bumped the on/off button for the wireless card.

Until finding this post I was wondering what was wrong. Thanks for the tip. Its so obvious when you know what the problem is.

bkwoods
April 30th, 2010, 04:33 AM
The output for rfkill list is:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: yes

Yes it is a laptop and yes it has a a wireless button and i have tried to press it and nothing changes. (not silly at all i really appreciate the help!)