PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Display issue, picture is falling off screen and overlapping

AJerman
April 29th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Hey guys, I'm an old Ubuntu user from the 8.x timeframe I think, but I ended up going back to Windows and OS X for a while. When 10.04 hit beta 1, I decided to try it out again, and I've been loving it, but I have a weird display issue.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I honestly have no idea how to describe it best and search for it, so if someone can even point me to another thread or bug report and close this one, that's fine.

My issue is that after using my computer for a seemingly random amount of time, the entire picture will shift to one side, but when it does, the part that went off the screen overlaps back to the left again, so I still see the whole picture, but it's off the right side and overlapping back over to the left.

I haven't found any way to reproduce the issue, and it seems completely random. When it happens, it usually only last for a few seconds, and sometimes it feels like moving the mouse around the screen gets it to go back, but that might just be that I move it every time and it goes back by itself after 5 seconds or so.

I'm a little rusty with Linux, but I'm guessing the display issue is caused by a bug in xorg or my display driver. Now that I'm actually trying to figure this out more, I'm running a tail on the xorg log file in tty1 to see if it mentions anything next time it happens, I'll post more if it does.

As for my hardware, I'm running on my MacBook (MacBook3,1), so the graphics chip is an Intel GM965.

Let me know if I'm forgetting anything that could be useful. If no one knows or has seen what I'm talking about, I'll try to take a picture when it happens again.