PDA

View Full Version : Running Code::Blocks programs with gnome terminal

Eragon0605
April 29th, 2010, 02:44 AM
It seems that Code::Blocks uses xterm as it's default terminal when running programs. I was wondering what command you would use to run gnome-terminal instead. I tried simply replacing 'xterm' with 'gnome-terminal', but, not surprisingly, it didn't work. I am running Ubuntu 10.04, if that makes any difference.

harrismh777
April 29th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Greetings,
Be careful with these steps; they are safe, but be careful.
1) sudo su -
changes your authority into root... enter your password
2) cd /usr/bin
changes directory where xterm and gnome-terminal live
3) mv xterm xterm~
change the name of the xterm program without deleting it...
the ~ character is the tilde in the upper left hand corner of
your keyboard
4) ln -sf /usr/bin/gnome-terminal xterm
creates a symbolic link (xterm) to gnome-terminal
5) exit
exits root

Now enter xterm in your command terminal... it will open gnome-terminal instead of xterm.
Symbolic links are a powerful tool, so be careful. Also, notice that
since this is done in /usr/bin it is in effect for the whole system.
When code::blocks calls xterm... it will pull up gnome-terminal instead.
code::blocks ide may be looking expecting a certain shell?? I don't know. Try it an see.

regards,
\\:D/

Eragon0605
April 29th, 2010, 03:36 AM
It didn't work. This does the same thing as changing 'xterm' to 'gnome-terminal' in the code::blocks settings. The reason this doesn't work is because there are certain flags that must be run, and the ones you use for xterm aren't compatible with gnome-terminal. A friend of mine actually figured out what I needed to do, just change the command from
xterm -T $TITLE -eto
gnome-terminal $TITLE -xThanks for the info, anyway!

dodo3773
May 1st, 2010, 07:48 PM
It didn't work. This does the same thing as changing 'xterm' to 'gnome-terminal' in the code::blocks settings. The reason this doesn't work is because there are certain flags that must be run, and the ones you use for xterm aren't compatible with gnome-terminal. A friend of mine actually figured out what I needed to do, just change the command from
xterm -T $TITLE -eto
gnome-terminal $TITLE -xThanks for the info, anyway!

I know this is old but if you ever come back across this thank you very much.

amireldor
November 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
there's one more problem when using the gnome-terminal as the console for code::blocks.
the gnome-terminal always returns the code 255 and not the code of the program you are running.

just anyone know how to solve this? although it's not such a big deal since the return value of the program is shown in the gnome-terminal when the program terminates.

silverzhao
December 17th, 2010, 01:32 PM
there's one more problem when using the gnome-terminal as the console for code::blocks.
the gnome-terminal always returns the code 255 and not the code of the program you are running.

just anyone know how to solve this? although it's not such a big deal since the return value of the program is shown in the gnome-terminal when the program terminates.
I have this annoying problem too, and I've googled so much but nothing useful found.:(

silverzhao
December 18th, 2010, 09:47 AM
I've found something interesting: if I open the gnome-terminal before executing the program in codeblocks, it will not show the red line any more. But once I close the gnome-terminal and execute the program again, the annoying red line comes back at once! Is there anything different here?

Humpparitari
December 24th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I found a solution! :D

Here's the command I use:

gnome-terminal --disable-factory -t $TITLE -x

The "--disable-factory" argument runs gnome-terminal in it's own process, apart from other gnome-terminal processes you have running. Without it gnome-terminal will return 255 upon exit, unless you have another gnome-terminal already open.

This is still only a partial solution, since gnome-terminal will return 0 to Code::Blocks, regardless of what your program returns... If anyone has a solution to this problem, please let us know.

dsr007rana
June 4th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Thank you very much "Humpparitari".
I was looking for this so long. :guitar:
Thank you once again.