PDA

View Full Version : Forum closing 29-April-2010

Technoviking
April 28th, 2010, 05:04 PM
This forum will be closing tomorrow (29-April-2010). All discussion about Ubuntu 10.04 should move to the main tech support forums at that time.

Thanks,
T-V

phillw
April 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Surely it cannot nearly be time for the Maverick Meerkat forum !!
:popcorn:

Phill.

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
No chance of keeping it open an extra day so people can finish conversations instead of wading through countless posts in the main tech support forums?

Also to others reading this, there will probably be a lot of questions that this dev forum has answers to, so make sure to link to them.

csaket
April 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM
This forum will be closing tomorrow (29-April-2010). All discussion about Ubuntu 10.04 should move to the main tech support forums at that time.

Thanks,
T-V

Can you please link to the forums that should used

cariboo907
April 28th, 2010, 06:34 PM
If you find any threads that you think should be continued in the main support forums, let us know, by reporting the thread.

The MM sub-forum should be open in a couple of days.

MacUntu
April 28th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Yesterday I said "Good bye" to the lynx:

and the meerkat said "Hello" to me:

:lolflag:

A presto!

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Can you please link to the forums that should used

All of these forums...

ratcheer
April 28th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Will this forum still be available as a "read only" so it can be referenced for possible problem solutions or configuration methods?

Tim

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Will this forum still be available as a "read only" so it can be referenced for possible problem solutions or configuration methods?

Tim

Yes. It will be moved here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=237)

kansasnoob
April 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I'd recommend that all of us spend more time at Absolute Beginners and the appropriate Main Support categories to help grow the community for the next couple of months!

The more the merrier :guitar:

I felt that this cycle was exemplary!

moviemaniac
April 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I felt that this cycle was exemplary!

I couldn't agree more! I switched back in January and haven't run into ONE serious breakage :D
I'll see y'all in the MM board - this time I'll be along for the full ride (for the first time having previously started testing on my main intall with the early alphas). :guitar:

teh603
April 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, feels like a real production, hasn't it? I came to Lucid because my new Arrandale-based Dell laptop wasn't properly supported by Jaunty, and booted to a black screen of death in Karmic. Hopefully the Meerkat (or a Lucid backports module, hopefully) will finally enable suspend and hibernate, as well as sound on dad's AspireRevo.

VMC
April 28th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Will there be a final zsync file like there was for the RC (http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/), so we don't have to download the entire final ISO and just sync the last live-daily?

LKjell
April 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Will there be a final zsync file like there was for the RC (http://releases.ubuntu.com/lucid/), so we don't have to download the entire final ISO and just sync the last live-daily?

zsync will download the latest daily if you have set it to download. So your answer is yes if you have configured correctly. But the best way is just to install RC and just update the system.

VMC
April 28th, 2010, 09:38 PM
zsync will download the latest daily if you have set it to download. So your answer is yes if you have configured correctly. But the best way is just to install RC and just update the system.

That didn't answer my question. You know for a fact there will be a zsync for the final, or are you just guessing.

LKjell
April 28th, 2010, 09:46 PM
That didn't answer my question. You know for a fact there will be a zsync for the final, or are you just guessing.

You can download all version and flavours of ubuntu with dl-ubuntu-test-iso script.

Irihapeti
April 28th, 2010, 10:31 PM
There is a zsync file for official releases. I use a command something like this:

zsync -i lucid-desktop-i386.iso http://www.your.local.mirror/path/to/ubuntu/release-name.iso.zsync

That command leaves the original .iso untouched. At this stage, it's looking like running that command will simply result in two identical iso files with different names. That's what happened to me last release.

ratcheer
April 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Yes. It will be moved here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=237)

Thank you.

Tim

autocrosser
April 29th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I'll be ready for the 'kat forum to be up'n'running---See everyone there!!!!!!

ToxicBurn
April 29th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Bring on the Maverick Meerkat forum :) sorry im excited lol

Slug71
April 29th, 2010, 05:07 AM
See you guys in MM. :)

kyleabaker
April 29th, 2010, 05:41 AM
...I'm looking forward to Ubuntu 10.10! I hope it brings some radical changes so we can speed things into the next generation of Ubuntu!

Uncle Spellbinder
April 29th, 2010, 06:03 AM
It's been a blast. Looking forward to testing the Meerkat. Later, all!

lisati
April 29th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Stand by for these guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uPAHF-e8zk).

cornflake000
April 29th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I'm an Ubuntu fan and always will be... but you've got to be kidding... Maverick Meerkat? There are political implications in a negative, faddish sort of way when anyone uses the word "maverick" in the US right now. It summons up an awful lot of laughter and mental images of stupidity and ineptness among people from both sides of the fence. I won't mention anything more specific so this post isn't out of bounds as far as forum rules but IMHO this is a very bad choice of names. 'Love the Meerkat part though.

Chauncellor
April 29th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I'm an Ubuntu fan and always will be... but you've got to be kidding... Maverick Meerkat? There are political implications in a negative, faddish sort of way when anyone uses the word "maverick" in the US right now. It summons up an awful lot of laughter and mental images of stupidity and ineptness among people from both sides of the fence. I won't mention anything more specific so this post isn't out of bounds as far as forum rules but IMHO this is a very bad choice of names. 'Love the Meerkat part though.

Oh, calm down. The US isn't the only country in the world.

zeroseven0183
April 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Thanks,
T-V

"This forum" meaning, "Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion forum" will be closed. Right, Technoviking?

It seems some people misinterpreted that. They thought the entire Ubuntu Forums is closing. Good thing there's the second statement to back up.

Joeb454
April 29th, 2010, 11:24 AM
"This forum" meaning, "Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion forum" will be closed. Right, Technoviking?

That's right :) Don't worry, we're not closing the whole forum, we enjoy banning it too much :p

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
That's right :) Don't worry, we're not closing the whole forum, we enjoy banning it too much :p

Yeah, yet another ban-happy mod... :)

rliegh
April 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I've chosen this release to settle on, so I'll be seeing y'all for 12.04, I guess. :guitar:

MacUntu
April 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM

You should close it... and come back with an updated theme. :P

jerrylamos
April 29th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Lucid RC as delivered, default, is broken on two of my pc's, both with intel graphics. Karmic runs fine.

The Lucid forum has been a big help. A bunch of us are trying to get help from Launchpad bugs like #541492 with a few finding some modification but the rest of us are still pretty broken.

When the Lucid forum is closed, we're dumped into the general Ubuntu forums where our Lucid concerns are much diluted throughout myriad threads and it is more difficult to find help.

So, Karmic runs fine, from my standpoint Karmic should be the LTC, not unstable Lucid. I'll drop Lucid and look for the next Alpha.

Jerry

andrewabc
April 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Lucid RC as delivered, default, is broken on two of my pc's, both with intel graphics. Karmic runs fine.

The Lucid forum has been a big help. A bunch of us are trying to get help from Launchpad bugs like #541492 with a few finding some modification but the rest of us are still pretty broken.

When the Lucid forum is closed, we're dumped into the general Ubuntu forums where our Lucid concerns are much diluted throughout myriad threads and it is more difficult to find help.

So, Karmic runs fine, from my standpoint Karmic should be the LTC, not unstable Lucid. I'll drop Lucid and look for the next Alpha.

Jerry

I have two computers with intel processor/graphics (g965 and 945 chipsets). Both work perfectly fine with 10.04 liveusb.
What chipset are you using? Link to the bug reports?

EDIT:
bug report your talking about (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/541492) for those wondering.

Looks like affecting real old intel chipsets.
Hopefully 10.10 will fix it as they will have newer drivers and 10.04 drivers are all over the place (using older version, backporting, disabling stuff late in development).

That's the good thing about linux/ubuntu. If a version doesn't work, keep using older version (9.10) and wait 6 months for newer version (10.04). Make sure to be active in testing to make sure it gets fixed for 10.10 :)

VMC
April 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Mine is i865 and it works perfectly also. I know Jerry's is a little bit older, say i845.

andrewabc
April 29th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Mine is i865 and it works perfectly also. I know Jerry's is a little bit older, say i845.

Soon time to upgrade hardware ;)

I tossed my old P4 1.7ghz 768mb SDR ram i845 for a $240 1.6ghz atom 1gb ram GMA950 nettop 5 months ago. Now you can get 1.6ghz dual core atom and nvidia ion for $300. They're very small and quiet and use 20-50 watts electricity.

EDIT:
If 10.04 release doesn't happen until April 30, please don't close this forum on April 29. :O

jerrylamos
April 29th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I have two computers with intel processor/graphics (g965 and 945 chipsets). Both work perfectly fine with 10.04 liveusb.
What chipset are you using? Link to the bug reports?
That's the good thing about linux/ubuntu. If a version doesn't work, keep using older version (9.10) and wait 6 months for newer version (10.04). Make sure to be active in testing to make sure it gets fixed for 10.10 :)

chipsets I'm using: i845, 2 gHz, 1Gb ram 1280x1024 LCD ThinkCentre and i830 IBM Thinkpad both of which run internet, Office, email, ... just fine, Nice and responsive. In another room I have a 3.3 gHz 2 Gb Compaq which runs Lucid mostly reliably but do TV-Viewer with Karmic.

In my case 9.10 is stable and (10.04) is unstable. Both mine are multi booted with rock solid Karmic, Debian, Slitaz, and unstable Lucid 10.04.

Jerry

Digital Hick
April 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Have fun with MM.

I have been running LL for the last month as a production system with little trouble. I just reinstalled and did the cleanest setup yet with Linux. As Ubuntu keeps getting better, I am learning how to set it up better. I think I'll be spending the next 36 months on LL.

Finally, normal support period starts.:guitar:

andrewabc
April 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
chipsets I'm using: i845, 2 gHz, 1Gb ram 1280x1024 LCD ThinkCentre and i830 IBM Thinkpad both of which run internet, Office, email, ... just fine, Nice and responsive. In another room I have a 3.3 gHz 2 Gb Compaq which runs Lucid mostly reliably but do TV-Viewer with Karmic.

In my case 9.10 is stable and (10.04) is unstable. Both mine are multi booted with rock solid Karmic, Debian, Slitaz, and unstable Lucid 10.04.

Jerry

Maybe linux mint or various ubuntu derivatives that come out shortly will work better.

ubername
April 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM
See you all shortly when MM toolchain is out
When will the MM testing and discussion forum open?

Owen.C93
April 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
It's been good guys. But it's time to graduate.

cornflake000
April 29th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Oh, calm down. The US isn't the only country in the world.

I'm not sure you are making a point there. I'm talking about the image of Ubuntu in the minds of a pretty large community of people who associate products with ideas just like everyone else.

nhasian
April 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
its been fun. see you all soon to test 10.10