PDA

View Full Version : Dead 7" netbook. -Software or hardware?

viridens
April 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hi. I scrounged a 7 inch netbook hoping to install Ubuntu as per other threads. Problem is, the netbook is dead other than the red light when the charger is connected. It will not switch on. The reset button does nothing.

The netbook is branded 'Disgo netbook 3000' but looks like Anyka/generic machines I have seen online, and the specification looks the same. ARM AK7802, 64Meg Ram, 2Gig storage.

I'm sure someone has seen this problem before. Before I start to fix it, am I likely to be chasing a hardware problem, or could this fault be cured by re-installing firmware as I hope?

Thanks.

snowpine
April 28th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the forums! I am not familiar with that particular netbook, but before you proceed with your project, take note of the Ubuntu system requirements:

If you have a netbook and a supported graphics card, using Ubuntu Netbook Edition (formerly "Ubuntu Netbook Remix") is an interesting option. It has a nice interface adapted for smaller screens, and a selection of applications aimed at netbook users.

Ubuntu Netbook Remix is designed to run well on netbooks with typically minimal specs, i.e.:

* Intel Atom processor @ 1.6 GHz
* 512 MiB of system memory (RAM)
* 4 GB of disk space
* Screen of 1024x600 resolution
* Graphics chipset with support for visual effects

Your system falls short in RAM, CPU, drive space, and possibly screen resolution as well, and is therefore not a good candidate for Ubuntu. :(

viridens
April 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the forums! I am not familiar with that particular netbook, but before you proceed with your project, take note of the Ubuntu system requirements:
Ubuntu Netbook Remix is designed to run well on netbooks with typically minimal specs, i.e.:

* Intel Atom processor @ 1.6 GHz
* 512 MiB of system memory (RAM)
* 4 GB of disk space
* Screen of 1024x600 resolution
* Graphics chipset with support for visual effects

Your system falls short in RAM, CPU, drive space, and possibly screen resolution as well, and is therefore not a good candidate for Ubuntu. :(

Snowpine

Thanks for your wise advice. But I'm an optomist...
I am typing this on an IBM thinkpad T21 which has a 800MHZ processor and just 256Meg Ram. I am running a Ubuntu (in fact Kubuntu at the moment) OS. :) -So I am keen to see if I can also do something with this netbook.

The first problem is how to revive the dead netbook...

Redhatter
April 29th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I also have Anyka netbook with this same problem, red light while charging but nothing else, no boot no startup - dead :( i also want to experiment with Linux.

I see people here are using this type of netbook. I hope they can answer the question, or give links to somewhere which can help with this fault.

viridens
July 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
To answer my own question, it was a hardware problem. The wires to the on/off switch are too stiff and badly routed through the lid, and one had broken off at the switch. A common problem on these machines....:rolleyes: