PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop is getting verry hot

wigglestix
April 28th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I have a toshiba satelite laptop and I am running my processor at 100 percent for long periods of time. I am using a cooling pad to help keep my laptop cool but it still seems like the air coming out is very hot. My question is, is this harming my laptop on any way. This may seem like silly question and kinda un realted to these forums but everyware I have looked I people are either saying it's terrible for my laptop or it's ok.
All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kristian

mastablasta
April 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
yes it can damage the computer, however most motherboards have a temp measuring feature and if CPU get's too hot it should automaticly shut down (or reboot).

i do hope you are not using a laptop for a job that is ment to be done on desktop as they often do not have propper cooling.

in your case if hot air is blown out it means the ventilators are doing their job (draining the heat out of the box).

wigglestix
April 28th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the quick relpy mastablasta, yes I do realize I should be using a desktop for larger processsing jobs but I do not have acess to one at the moment. I am aware of the featue you mentioned, my laptop has shut off before due to excessive heat but not from large processing jobs.

If I do continue to use my laptop for large processing jobs will it harm my machine significantly or just simply decrease the life of my processor.

-Kristian