PDA

View Full Version : Samsung N140 HDD Problems

Henns Wörst
April 27th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hi!

I own a Samsung N140 Netbook which, after some modifications, works just fine with Karmic. When Lucid was Beta2, I tried to install it by updating Karmic with update-manager-kde (yes we're talking about Kubuntu here).

This failed, because when the update-manager reached the section where it should set new repositories, the installer would just hang with my HDD emitting strange sounds, it was like "drrrr...drrrr...drrrr", a longer scratching sound followed by a short period of silence. After trying it a few times with no positive result, I installed Lucid with live-usb, wich actually worked , but as I was updating and installing new software, it worked very slow, and I heard exactly the same sounds, this time it wouldn't completely hang, but it would work just very slowly.

I was afraid I would damage my hardware (hardware failure was my first thought, but after returning to Karmic everything works fine again), so I returned to Karmic. The last time I tried it was with the RC, so I don't think it will change until the final release.

Has anyone experienced this or any similiar behavior, or any idea what could have caused it? I'd really be grateful, since I don't want to stick with Karmic :confused:

kind regards

Henns Wörst
April 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Oh come on, don't tell me I'm the only one with this problem, anyone must have the same issue?? pleeeze :shock: ?!