PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Release Waiting

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

EMCGFX
April 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hi guys, I thought its about time to create a post for people like me that cant wait to see version 10.04 final :lolflag: Its two more days :guitar: Grabbing :popcorn: and waiting it out in here :P Any one interested in joining me here hahahhahaha Yeah I've became real Ubuntu fan what can I say.

http://countdown.immanuel-peratoner.de/

My Ubuntu System Specs:
-- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
-- 4GB DDR2 Memory & 250GB Hard Drive
-- GeForce 9400 GT, PCI-E 16x, 1024 MB, 550 MHz
-- ViewSonic VX2025wm 20.1" LCD + DELL E173FP 17" LCD

Some Ubuntu 10.04 RC issues that I've noticed. I used upgrade not clean install, so that may be why I get this issues. In any case I hope this all will be fixed in final release.

#1. When I use TwinView with two LCDs and watching dvd in VLC, when video moves from side to side I see my VLC picture cut most of the time. I haven't found any solution for this yet. I used to be able to use Xinerama in version 9.10 final and this eliminated this issue. But I could not use any of compiz effects. I prefer to use TwinView instead, this way I have all effects. This is not that big of a deal. But it should work better. Now using one display works perfectly fine, its that when I use this two LCD that when I get this issue. I don't know if its because I'm using two different LCD displays or if its video card drivers problem.

#2. Sometimes upon boot I get my WD 640GB HDD not mounted for some reason. I need to reboot again for it to work. This is the newer model of WD HDD. I have no idea what is up with that. It works perfectly fine.

#3. Applying wallpaper for two LCDs, I used to be able to stretch wallpaper between two LCDs. Now I see same wallpaper on two LCDs. Stretch don't work properly. Span works but that not what I need.

#4. Keep Align Icons not saving upon reboot.

will update this post ones I found more issues ;)

barbz127
April 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hi there,

I use twin view and have no issues with playback. This is using a clean install of 10.04 amd64.

Also for your background, go into the background settings page and change it from centre to span :)

Paul

EMCGFX
April 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Paul, I think that because I used upgrade insted of clean install too. At least I hope this is why I have this issue :) As for using span, I am using it now but its not as good as stretch for some wallpapers :-) Also I've noticed that Zoom has exactly same issue as Stretch LOL In fact every other option has same effect, like its mirroring the wallpaper.

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 04:29 AM
One more day left on the counter, and I guess two more days for everyone in US. Need to grab more popcorn :D

v1ad
April 28th, 2010, 04:31 AM
yup can't wait.

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Hi v1ad, thanks for joining me in this ubuntu fans post LOL

v1ad
April 28th, 2010, 04:37 AM
lol all the rest are getting ready to party.

jorgeguberte
April 28th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Guess what i'm doing? A backup, cause i'll make a clean install. :D

v1ad
April 28th, 2010, 04:40 AM
+1

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Guess what i'm doing? A backup, cause i'll make a clean install. :D

Yep already done that :D I will do clean install to. In fact I always do clean install upon final release :guitar:

jorgeguberte
April 28th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Yep already done that :D I will do clean install to. In fact I always do clean install upon final release :guitar:

I'm using Jaunty, and i've read that many people are having video problems when upgrading to Karmic, so i'll just wipe everything and install the RC,and then upgrade to the release version as soon as it's out. Tomorrow, that is. :)

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 04:47 AM
I'm using Jaunty, and i've read that many people are having video problems when upgrading to Karmic, so i'll just wipe everything and install the RC,and then upgrade to the release version as soon as it's out. Tomorrow, that is. :)

Yes this is true. Since I've upgraded from version 9.10 to 10.04 RC, I have issues with my video. So I'm hoping upon final release, clean install this will fix my bugs. Crossing my fingers :P

jorgeguberte
April 28th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Yes this is true. Since I've upgraded from version 9.10 to 10.04 RC, I have issues with my video. So I'm hoping upon final release, clean install this will fix my bugs. Crossing my fingers :P

I'll risk a RC install...if anything goes wrong, i'll install Jaunty again and wait. :P
--edit--
By the way, this is the first time i'll install a new version while i'm using Ubuntu. I used it for the first time on 8.04, but i wasn't a regular user because i needed Windows to do work stuff. Flash, Photoshop, etc...i tried using those on Wine,but the performance wasn't good enough. Now i'm into another career path (programming), and i don't need Windows anymore, so i'm all Ubuntu now, and for the first time i'll get a new version while it's still fresh.

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 05:00 AM
If you have multiple computers, then running ubuntu and windows in parallel not a problem ;-D I use some of the programs on windows too, but not as much anymore. Programming is good. I'm leanring PHP5 and MySQL5 my self right now ;-) I suggest you wait till final release instead of upgrading to RC. Unless you want to upgrade to report bugs like me ;)

Digikid
April 28th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I just hope that Canonical smartened up and fixed the Radeon 5xxx issue and the DNS issue.

It is past midnight now.....when is the new release?

EDIT: oops I thought that it said the 28th....

xebian
April 28th, 2010, 05:52 AM
You can get it now. Iso are usually done a day or 2 before release day. If there is a change just do a zsync.

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 05:59 AM
You can get it now. Iso are usually done a day or 2 before release day. If there is a change just do a zsync.

What ? What you talking about, its not even in ftp pool yet. RC and updates is not the same as clean install from final iso. :lolflag:

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
@xebian, Actually you are right final iso releases are here for testing. I missed this post > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1464072 which had link to site http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/ But I think they will be re-created on the release date.

Silvertones
April 28th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I have 9.1 installed along side Windows. Not sure if I'll do an update or clean. The thing is I don't know how to do a clean install. For me the update may be fine as I haven't really messed with 9.1 much. If I do clean I've got to redue my network etc but I'd like to know how in case. can you help?
Thanks

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
@Silvertones, Here read this should help, http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid

mockingbird
April 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
The reason why your video is cutting:

This problem occures when the video plays at a higher framerate than the monitor's refresh rate. This is called vertical sync.

This problem is known with VLC, and I hope in the future they include an option to ENABLE vertical sync when playing videos.

FrancoNero
April 28th, 2010, 01:14 PM
best Ubuntu yet, but unfortunately this is like the 6th ubuntu I have been looking forward to fix nagging bugs and still no dice. hibernate is an effin' mess on Ubuntu, and this whole Plymouth thing (albeit the fact that it's not much Ubuntu's fault for ATI and Nvidia's closedness) is a shame since the majority of people just won't see the "karmic" way of booting their system...

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Finaly, ISOs is in ftp pool :D Start mirroring guys. Now off to clean install.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Oh Boy

I am waiting to download the final release. Does anyone know if its already released in some ftp link? I can't wait to test the new Ubuntu.

Leslie

philinux
April 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Oh Boy

I am waiting to download the final release. Does anyone know if its already released in some ftp link? I can't wait to test the new Ubuntu.

Leslie

Why wait. There probably are no updates till after tomorrow.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Or get the RC there were hardly any updates since then.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04/

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM

Thank you for your reply but I would like to know whats this "Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) Daily Build"?

Is this the final release?

Leslie

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 05:03 PM

I checked my RC liveusb and it showed 200mb of updates. Although I think 1/2 of that was for openoffice.

So there definitely were quite a few updates after RC.

I'm guessing there will be lots of updates within the first week after release as well.

If you're going to hammer the ftp sites to get early etc, make sure to use torrents so the mirrors don't slow down.

Thank you for your reply but I would like to know whats this "Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) Daily Build"?

Is this the final release?

Leslie

No they are not the final release. That won't happen until late tomorrow.
It is possible they will use the exact same file, but no one will know until official announcement.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I checked my RC liveusb and it showed 200mb of updates. Although I think 1/2 of that was for openoffice.

I'm guessing there will be lots of updates within the first week after release as well.

If you're going to hammer the ftp sites to get early etc, make sure to use torrents so the mirrors don't slow down.

No they are not the final release. That won't happen until late tomorrow.
It is possible they will use the exact same file, but no one will know until official announcement.

What does Daily Build mean? I guess thats what im trying to understand here. Is this different from RC?

mihai007
April 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
daily build means the current version of the day (today), the rc is actualy the daily build on dayX such as final release which would be the last daily build.

Every day we get a daily build. it' like a version release every day for testing,etc.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Oh Thank you Mihai007. Now I understand the difference. Well I have been testing Ubuntu 10.4 since its alpha stage I hope they haven't changed much from their RC release :) but I am just getting restless for to download the final release. Hope I'll be able to control my emotions till then :)

philinux
April 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM

200mb, oh well I must have been using a mix of chroot from karmic and updating directly from lucid. Didn't seem like a lot lol ;)

philinux
April 28th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I hope they haven't changed much from their RC release :) but I am just getting restless for to download the final release. Hope I'll be able to control my emotions till then :)

If you have the RC installed and it is fully up to date there is no reason to reinstall.

RC + updates = Final Release.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 06:04 PM
If you have the RC installed and it is fully up to date there is no reason to reinstall.

The reason why I am waiting for final release is due to the fact RC is taking a lot of time to boot to desktop compare to 9.10 version. Secondly if i have the desktop effects enabled,once I move the windows I get some while lines on the window border as they are moved.

I was hoping that this issue doesn't occur in final release.

neur0
April 28th, 2010, 06:09 PM
The reason why I am waiting for final release is due to the fact RC is taking a lot of time to boot to desktop compare to 9.10 version. Secondly if i have the desktop effects enabled,once I move the windows I get some while lines on the window border as they are moved.

I was hoping that this issue doesn't occur in final release.

Did you do a clean install of the RC ?

LinuxNeubie
April 28th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Well bing a noob who's as yet to be able to actually install and run anything but the LiveCD from safe graphics mode after installing 9.04, then 9.1, then 9.1 alternate, then Mint and NONE of them want to run my graphics card, I certainly hope they have it fixed. I don't even need a backup. I'll just wipe the partition and do it all over again!

LinuxNeubie
April 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
And why would you have to wait if you're in the US? I'd say there's a way to download something as if you were elsewhere...I certainly could! :)

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Did you do a clean install of the RC ?

I am not able to install 10.04 RC on my desktop as it comes up with some error however the same disc works fine on my laptop. So what i did was I installed 9.10 and then upgraded to 10.04RC. Its not a clean install.

I was able to install 10.04RC on my laptop without any issues however the white line issue still remains the same but laptops boots up much faster than desktop.

Don't know whats gng on.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
And why would you have to wait if you're in the US? I'd say there's a way to download something as if you were elsewhere...I certainly could! :)

How would you download the final release version when it is not released officially?

LinuxNeubie
April 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
One more day left on the counter, and I guess two more days for everyone in US. Need to grab more popcorn :D

For some reason I thought he was eluding to being unable to get it if he were located in the US until a day after he'd be able to if he were elsewhere.

barney385
April 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I went ahead and did a clean install of the RC, and all upgrades today from 8.04LTS.

The OS loads 10 times faster now and Firefox is twice as quick, and my graphics look new and improved also.

Looking really good so far...I'm very pleased...

:smile:

barney385
April 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM
How would you download the final release version when it is not released officially?

Get the Release Candidate and beat the rush!!!

:guitar:

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Get the Release Candidate and beat the rush!!!

:guitar:

Still safer to wait for final .iso :)

And rush is no problem when it comes to torrents as those won't be crippled by server speeds.

I'll download most versions and burn them all to my cd-rw collection.

If anyone has fast upload connection be kind and upload torrents for a couple days to help.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Any idea wat time is the Final Release scheduled? Which time zone to be specific?

Merk42
April 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Any idea wat time is the Final Release scheduled? Which time zone to be specific?

I think Canonical deliberately doesn't mention an exact time because their servers get hit hard enough on the day as it is. Could you imagine how bad it would be if everyone hit the same minute?

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I think Canonical deliberately doesn't mention an exact time because their servers get hit hard enough on the day as it is. Could you imagine how bad it would be if everyone hit the same minute?

Oh you bet Merk!! LOL!!!

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Hey Folks

Can we just have the latest Daily Build installed and then download the updates after installation?

Will this be as good as installing the Final Release?

cespinal
April 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I'm still not quite convinced tho... I think I will just wait a few weeks to see how it behaves.

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hey Folks

Can we just have the latest Daily Build installed and then download the updates after installation?

Will this be as good as installing the Final Release?

It will be almost as good. Should end up being exact same, but always possible some very minor unnoticeable things are different.

If you already have daily downloaded and installed keep using it. If you're asking whether to download daily and install now, I would recommend waiting for final release. It's only ~48 hours away.

Also there is no exact release date time. I'm not sure exactly what software projects everyone follows but I've never heard of someone saying that will release their software at a specific time on specific day.

obscur156
April 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I am gonna wait tomorrow...

Please use the TORRENT so you can help the others and participate even more to this great community.

Long live Ubuntu,thanks to all the devs,the community and of course Mark.Shuttleworth.

Best regards and have a nice day

MacUntu
April 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Every six months the same: people are waiting for the release while addicts like me can't think of anything else than ubuntu+1's toolchain upload. :D

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I guess they should have a local server is different parts of the world and have the release go thru. This way we can share the bandwith and at the same time have the release day met.

LOL!!!

recluce
April 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have been testing Lucid Lynx since Alpha 1. After an initial Oopla with the Alpha 1 installation I reinstalled from the Alpha 2 image and have just updated since. The system is rock stable, even more so than Jaunty (Karmic was a dud for my system). So will I reinstall from the final release image? NO. No reaon to, just a waste of time.

Very surprising: no rush of updates during the final hours before release, actually, there has been not a single update in 24 hours (using the main server).

Bottom line: if you have an up-to-date version of Lucid from the development branch, there is little incentive to do a fresh install of the final - unless you messed up your installation big time. :P

For everybody else: if you waited that long, you can wait another day! :lolflag:

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
countdown has started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raven17
April 28th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Perfect!

This is the exact question I was going to ask. I am running RC2, but it sounds like it will magically become the final via updates.

;-)

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Perfect!

This is the exact question I was going to ask. I am running RC2, but it sounds like it will magically become the final via updates.

;-)

There was no RC2

EMCGFX
April 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
You can guys wait as long as you like, I've already installed 10.04 LTS Final, if you interested here is mirror > <snip>

andrewabc
April 28th, 2010, 11:18 PM
You can guys wait as long as you like, I've already installed 10.04 LTS Final, if you interested here is mirror > <snip>

No official announcement yet.

And that mirror has no torrents, so I don't suggest people bombard mirrors by downloading http iso only.

Wait please!
At least wait for unofficial torrent mirrors.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Oh you are blessed EMCGFX!!!im downloading it now. Thanks a lot

Chauncellor
April 28th, 2010, 11:22 PM
No official announcement yet.

And that mirror has no torrents, so I don't suggest people bombard mirrors by downloading http iso only.

Wait please!
At least wait for unofficial torrent mirrors.

Yes, Karmic had a problem with people massing up and doing that, too. It actually slows down the process, so please don't do it.

mihai007
April 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Wait for the announcement, that's the latest daily, it is probably the final if no updates come until tomorrow, but you never know so better to wait for the official announcement just to make sure.
And yes, posting links to daily builds just slows down the release process actually.

lesliefrancis
April 28th, 2010, 11:33 PM
This means that the FTP link posted above for the Final Release isn't the final one?

mihai007
April 28th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Without the announcement on the ubuntu page no, not the final. They could still update that version until the actual release occours which will finally be the final :D

opai
April 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Can wait any longer.....Any one know what time are they releasing the final version

alexanderpas
April 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM
The Countdown has gone in the negative!
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=154602&d=1272494478

mihai007
April 28th, 2010, 11:44 PM
They always release at random times, so it can avoid having the entire earth clicking on "Download" all at the same minute :)

socceroos
April 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Can't wait!

It'll be interesting to see how the ubuntu.com website copes with the load this time around.

@mihai007 I agree, they do release at a random time on day 0. At least it feels like that for me. I'm in Australia, so I have to endure seeing the day 0 counter all day and then into the night before it is officially released. =D

opai
April 28th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Just hopping that we are only 3 minutes away from the final release :P

mihai007
April 28th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Can't wait!

It'll be interesting to see how the ubuntu.com website copes with the load this time around.

@mihai007 I agree, they do release at a random time on day 0. At least it feels like that for me. I'm in Australia, so I have to endure seeing the day 0 counter all day and then into the night before it is officially released. =D

Well yeah that's annoying but we waited this much for the release, waiting one more day will not hurt that much.

mihai007
April 28th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Just hopping that we are only 3 minutes away from the final release :P

yeah right, here in Germany is already 00:59 so....

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Oh and do not forget about mentioning #ubuntu on twitter today, more info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1464578

int
April 29th, 2010, 12:13 AM
It's still have to wait a bit more for the anouncement...
Because, before it will be mirror to the servers.

Usualy it release after the 1PM GMT+1

Nevertheless the diferent of the current image of today and the Final version usualy is none. but we never known what's happean..

23meg
April 29th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Wait for the official release announcement that will be posted to the ubuntu-announce mailing list (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-announce). If you're not subscribed, you can check the web archive for April here (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-April/date.html).

No announcement, no release. Regardless of whether people post links that appear to be working, whether some random blog says "it's released", or even whether the Ubuntu home page is updated to reflect the release.

Images can be updated at any point before release, and mirrors need to sync up. By downloading before the release announcement, you risk getting a broken half-updated image, and slowing the syncing of the mirrors (which will potentially delay the release).

neur0
April 29th, 2010, 12:21 AM
The torrent should be released earlier so that a large number of people who are waiting for the release don't slow the servers down when it goes official.
Also, this sets up a nice seeding base for those who go for the torrent after it's announced.

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 12:22 AM
The torrent should be released earlier so that a large number of people who are waiting for the release don't slow the servers down when it goes official.
Also, this sets up a nice seeding base for those who go for the torrent after it's announced.

This would be really nice actually.

socceroos
April 29th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I've always downloaded from the torrent right on release time and it is always brilliantly fast. No need to release it early in my humble opinion. Plus, releasing it early for torrent would kill some of the buzz (for me at least).

lesliefrancis
April 29th, 2010, 12:41 AM
<snip>

What about the above link which claims to have the final release of 10.4?

23meg
April 29th, 2010, 12:45 AM
<snip>

It doesn't claim to have the final release. Did you read the index.html file there? Let me paste it here:

Images are distributed here so that mirrors can pick them up in time before release. Images here may not be final even if they look as if they are; by distributing pre-release images here we can make final mirroring faster.

Please do not attempt to download images directly from this directory; by doing so, you are likely to contribute to delaying the release for everyone else, since we will have to wait longer for worldwide mirroring to complete.

-- Ubuntu Release Team

Milchdrinker
April 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
<snip>

Please read the index.html at: <snip>

Please do not attempt to download images directly from this directory; by doing so, you are likely to contribute to delaying the release for everyone else, since we will have to wait longer for worldwide mirroring to complete.

lesliefrancis
April 29th, 2010, 01:01 AM
hmm.............

I think this final release calls in for lot of patience!!!!!!!!

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2010, 01:08 AM
If you want some light reading to while away the time, and some nice links to click on, try here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9189590&postcount=1)

recluce
April 29th, 2010, 01:25 AM
If you want some light reading to while away the time, and some nice links to click on, try here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9189590&postcount=1)

If you need a good chuckle right now, just go to

http://www.ubuntu.de

Understanding German is entirely optional, you will get it just by looking at the pictures as well...

MCVenom
April 29th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Oh and do not forget about mentioning #ubuntu on twitter today, more info here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1464578
Thanks for the shoutout! I want this launch to bring a lot of new people to Ubuntu, or at least inform them that they have options other than Windows and Mac, IMO that's very important. :D

EMCGFX
April 29th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Yeah, well people will use ftp pool anyways so its very easy to find. If you are big fan and can't wait no more, you can find some mirrors my blog ;)

I'm running clean install successfully now. Still have the bugs I've posted in my first post do. But no Ubuntu release is without bugs. I always have sound or video issues with each new release. Also, the boot screen are very ugly now, previews one was much better. Sometimes I think, its going down hill for ubuntu instead of up. But will see I guess.

PGHammer
April 29th, 2010, 03:28 AM
@Silvertones, Here read this should help, http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid

In my case, I installed the RC within Windows (the Wubi Method). This is the first time I've done that with an RC (however, I have done it before with 9.04 and 8.04 releases). I went with the same bitness as Windows (x64, of course). There is no noticeable degradation (in either Kubuntu or Windows) except that caused by 30 GB of drive partition going away (out of 189 GB) one the Windows side. (However, at some point I will replace the 200 GB hard drive with a 1 TB model, which means that partition issues won't really be an issue; however, I have more critical upgrades to do first.)

tjeremiah
April 29th, 2010, 03:48 AM
almost 11 pm here in NYC and nothing is out yet? Well, good thing I dl'ed the RC the other day.

ToxicBurn
April 29th, 2010, 03:49 AM
so when do you think they will post the final iso. soon or late in the day on the 29th

bigsmitty64
April 29th, 2010, 03:59 AM

East coast usa, 11:00 p.m. I'm still seeing 1 day left

andrewabc
April 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM
ZOMG why hasn't it been released yet!?
It's the 29th in my time zone now!

](*,)

/sarcasm

msmooth
April 29th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Just finished backup all my files. its 12:05 am... any idea of what hour they release the final iso? not in a hurry just curious. thanks

piousp
April 29th, 2010, 05:11 AM
I have the I-need-lucid-now-or-i'll-die disease :P

23meg
April 29th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Just finished backup all my files. its 12:05 am... any idea of what hour they release the final iso? not in a hurry just curious. thanks

so when do you think they will post the final iso. soon or late in the day on the 29th

It's impossible to tell when precisely it's going to happen. The release is a laborious process (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseProcess), performed by multiple people working in different timezones, and its completion depends, among other things, on when mirrors complete syncing, which in turn depends on network conditions all over the world.

PGHammer
April 29th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I have the I-need-lucid-now-or-i'll-die disease :P

Try Prozac; it usually helps.

mrreality13
April 29th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Hi gang I wil be doing a fresh install as ive had this rig runnin since my 1st linux install 7.04 ->9.10 all upgrades so time to start fresh
Cant wait
:popcorn::popcorn:

msmooth
April 29th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Haha that's cool.. but from a logical stand point wouldn't a release date of the 29th, be at 12:01 am??? just saying :P I hope it's as good as all the good thing's I've been hearing!

symon1980
April 29th, 2010, 05:29 AM
c'mon! hurry up Macubuntu! oops, I mean Ubuntumac... oops, I mean Ubuntu!

ToxicBurn
April 29th, 2010, 05:35 AM
i called out of work to stay home and do a clean install and play all day lol

Hurry up i need my Iso. just kidding but really hurry up haha

msmooth
April 29th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I just ordered chanellos pizza and have beers ready just waiting to tinker!!!!!!

Merk42
April 29th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I just ordered chanellos pizza and have beers ready just waiting to tinker!!!!!!

Hope you like cold pizza (I do)

ndefontenay
April 29th, 2010, 05:47 AM
Haha that's cool.. but from a logical stand point wouldn't a release date of the 29th, be at 12:01 am??? just saying :P I hope it's as good as all the good thing's I've been hearing!

No. It's more likely to be on 29th at 23:59:59 instead.

dell1300
April 29th, 2010, 05:53 AM
8:00 am in saudia arabia (asia)

can not wait any moooore

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Gee, anybody would think that this is the queue for the bathroom. :)

Mike BFD
April 29th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Seems like everybody's waiting for the release to download ISO and make a "clean install"... I just wander if I'll be able to upgrade to final version - or it's a stupid question?

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 06:03 AM
3:01 pm in Sydney. Have to go to work soon :( Ive backed everything up. learned how to separate / and /home on different partitions. made a list of the applications i need (so i don't clutter my system). organised myself so at 9am tommorow when i get to the office (my bedroom) i can sit down with a new system. and work... i think this is the most excited i have been for work in a very long time

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Seems like everybody's waiting for the release to download ISO and make a "clean install"... I just wander if I'll be able to upgrade to final version - or it's a stupid question?

Just use the update manager. it should ahve the option to upgrade. if it does not you have to make it look for a new version. im not 100% on how to do that. so im not going to give advice

Merk42
April 29th, 2010, 06:11 AM

If you're running 8.04 or 9.10 you'll be able to upgrade through the usual upgrade manager. It'll say new distribution available.

If you're running Lucid Lynx Alpha/Beta/RC there will be no prompt about a new distribution, but any upgrades will give you the final version.

jerenept
April 29th, 2010, 06:12 AM
It's 1 am in trinidad and tobago and i still do not have ubuntu 10.04!!!
GRRR!!
(tz=caracas)

Mike BFD
April 29th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Thanx thunderbox; however, I read in "how-to's and faq's" some "third-party" soft may affect... Well, I spent a bit long piece of time making my Epson printer/scanner work and just don't want to repeat that)) So this stuff may theoretically prevent me from updating correctly - and a new install would make me do everything again))

Kushal Sejwal
April 29th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Hello Folks,

10:45 am here in India, waiting eagerly for the grand finale.

Cheers!

Mike BFD
April 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
If you're running Lucid Lynx Alpha/Beta/RC there will be no prompt about a new distribution, but any upgrades will give you the final version.
Thanx Merk, it's good to know there'll be no prompt

Baldrick_NZ
April 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM

Which is why I reckon Canonical would be extremely wise to do what most software vendors do...

Schedule the release gradually from timezone to timezone.

IE: Midnight 29th (Wed night - Thur Morn) Release to UTC +12, an hour later, UTC +11; an hour later, UTC +10, etc...

That way the release is staggered meaning everyone gets it at the same time in their own timezones. This would also ease congestion on the servers. Not everyone who wants it when it finally is released will be trying at exactly the same time!

How would that work? Any ideas?

Ofcourse, as an added bonus, we in NZ would be the first to benefit. ;-)

Merk42
April 29th, 2010, 06:23 AM
How would that work? Any ideas?

Ofcourse, as an added bonus, we in NZ would be the first to benefit. ;-)

It wouldn't work, because then people here in the US would just download from the NZ servers...

slither1109
April 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM
(http://ubuntu.srt.cn/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso)

Mike BFD
April 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Looks like the real deal. :grin:

Hmm, they also offer "a real Rolex", right?))

Baldrick_NZ
April 29th, 2010, 06:28 AM
It wouldn't work, because then people here in the US would just download from the NZ servers...

No, just make it accessible to NZ (or country of designation) IP addresses only. Like the TV networks do on their websites to stop 'On Demand' shows being viewed from outside their respective regions.

Ofcourse, with any system, you'll only stop honest crooks. ;-)

trig
April 29th, 2010, 06:29 AM
i am already waiting for details on maverick, and im sooooo excited to hear about it. I know this isnt the "right" place but im excited.

ToxicBurn
April 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM
i am already waiting for details on maverick, and im sooooo excited to hear about it. I know this isnt the "right" place but im excited.

Same :) I cant wait

msmooth
April 29th, 2010, 06:42 AM
SO while im waiting, gnome or KDE anyone? I've used both in the past, currently use gnome.. but always looking for other opinions.

slither1109
April 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM
SO while im waiting, gnome or KDE anyone? I've used both in the past, currently use gnome.. but always looking for other opinions.

Gnome all the way, I find KDE to be too clunky for me. Could never get into the K Applications either. Also I dont think vitual box seamless operation works with KDE.

Niksko
April 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Just so people who don't already know do know, don't download that link from above, as it may not be the actual final release and will slow down distribution of the images.

That said, I can't wait!!

msmooth
April 29th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I agree with you gnome seems to engross me while KDE just seems like.... blah

opai
April 29th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Gnome forever since Kde4 came out i think Kde is not the same,so Gnome and XFCE they are the real deal :lolflag:
Come on Ubuntu Team leta's have Ubuntu 10.4 final :P

coalitians
April 29th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Its already noon here(11.20 am to be exact) in india.Checking online everyhour for the release. BTW tmr is semester exam so it sucks totally for me.

Niksko
April 29th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Refreshing the http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04/ directory is taking aaaagges. Does this mean we're getting a release soon, or just that heaps of people are doing what I'm doing and refreshing the directory every few minutes?

slither1109
April 29th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Just so people who don't already know do know, don't download that link from above, as it may not be the actual final release and will slow down distribution of the images.

That said, I can't wait!!

I removed the link, after looking closer it seems that it is not from the official chinese ubuntu website. Im not gonna take my chances, I canceled the download and am waiting for an official one. So impatient!

Niksko
April 29th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I removed the link, after looking closer it seems that it is not from the official chinese ubuntu website. Im not gonna take my chances, I canceled the download and am waiting for an official one. So impatient!

Well, it's just that if you go to http://ubuntu.srt.cn/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ you get a message that says:
" Images are distributed here so that mirrors can pick them up in time before release. Images here may not be final even if they look as if they are; by distributing pre-release images here we can make final mirroring faster.

-- Ubuntu Release Team "

Also, the page title is "This is not the page you are looking for; move along". Hehehhe

note32
April 29th, 2010, 06:58 AM
support the 10.04 torrents, i know I'll be seeding\\:D/

slither1109
April 29th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Well, it's just that if you go to http://ubuntu.srt.cn/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ you get a message that says:
" Images are distributed here so that mirrors can pick them up in time before release. Images here may not be final even if they look as if they are; by distributing pre-release images here we can make final mirroring faster.

-- Ubuntu Release Team "

Also, the page title is "This is not the page you are looking for; move along". Hehehhe

Hmmm, That is interesting. Woops ](*,)

priegog
April 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
support the 10.04 torrents, i know i'll be seeding\\:d/
this

gazavn
April 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Now is 1:00 PM in Viet Nam (GMT +7)
I don't know what time i can have a torrent link. I can't wait any more.
next 4 days we don't have to go to work in my country, so i have much time to try U.

pasisti
April 29th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I hope it would come at least in a few hours.. My main computer did something very bad yesterday evening and I get a GRUB error during boot. Here's hoping a fresh install of ubuntu 10.04 might do it some good :)

recluce
April 29th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Still 50 minutes to go before midnight and the 29th. I expect that the release will be on the 29th at least in my timezone (GMT -0800). :popcorn:

But than again, I am only a few updates away from the final release anyway...

ndefontenay
April 29th, 2010, 07:10 AM
For the folks in Asia, the release is going to be the next day for us. There's 6 hours difference from UK to Thailand.

Thinks are pretty bad over here, the only good thing going on today is that release.

That in the fact that we are forced to work in a hotel with a view on the pool x)

fredrik-fyksen
April 29th, 2010, 07:16 AM
When wil the final release come to Norway? (+1)

Can someone paste a time zone script?

werecatomega
April 29th, 2010, 07:19 AM
i wish they released that exact time it was coming out on the ubuntu.com page/

slooksterpsv
April 29th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah me too, I am just waiting and waiting - I'm like I WANT THE RELEASE. I'm currently in Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx RC kernel 21 doing work right at the moment.

piwik
April 29th, 2010, 07:24 AM
where is Ubuntu 10.04 LTS final? :P
Im from Slovakia, time is 8:23, 29th April :((

vipil.vicky
April 29th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hello Guys.... I am using ubuntu 10.04 rc .....Does this differ from the one thats gonna release now...?
:(

recluce
April 29th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hello Guys.... I am using ubuntu 10.04 rc .....Does this differ from the one thats gonna release now...?
:(

Has been answered a gazillion times: the difference will be minuscule at best. So just running a regular update via Synaptic/apt-get/aptitude will turn your system into the final version.

I will do the same on my system MUCH later today.

Knowle
April 29th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I doubt it, I'm on the RC as well, April 29th, 2:28 AM EST here. The releases usually don't show up till 4-5pm EST here so I got a while. What I want to know is, did they fix the X.org memory leak and will they fix these https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid before it's actually released.

cerebellum
April 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM
it's 13:47 here in Indonesia and still no sign.. i've been refreshing the page for the past 5 hours -_-

gazavn
April 29th, 2010, 07:53 AM
it's 13:47 here in Indonesia and still no sign.. i've been refreshing the page for the past 5 hours -_-
Oh, you're the same time-belt with me?

Myst3
April 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM
3:00PM here in Malaysia (+8 GMT). Keep finger on F5 button to refresh the page :D

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 08:11 AM
oh man! i cam home from work early to get the .iso and do a clean install......................must still wait.

3:10pm Perth Western Australia

symon1980
April 29th, 2010, 08:13 AM
heyyyyy Im from Perth Western Australia too :P :P

gotsanity
April 29th, 2010, 08:14 AM
was debating on staying up a couple more hours to get the clean install going but im thinking getting up early tommorow may be the best bet

cetoka
April 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
It is 10.16 am here in Turkey.I am waiting eagerly for the new release.

cerebellum
April 29th, 2010, 08:17 AM
from what i see, it can't be later than another 5 hours cause the last clock on earth should be 19:16 and in less than 5 hours, there wouldn't be any place on earth dated 29.04.2010

am i wrong? ^_^

dewgenenny
April 29th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Another Western Australian ubuntu-ite waiting here.... :)

Peter09
April 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Sorry, UK time as of now is 08:18 29th

watsbe
April 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM
You are absolutely right - given the base assumption that no software delivery project could ever go over time or over budget.

blue7
April 29th, 2010, 08:22 AM
in uk just 8 am, some of us will wait for LL till evening i think...

cerebellum
April 29th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Oh, you're the same time-belt with me?

yeah.. i guess u're somewhere north eh? :) nothing else on the south.

anybody from UTC +13 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC%2B13)? they must've been waiting for the whole day.

symon1980
April 29th, 2010, 08:29 AM
arghhhh im gettin bored and frustrated waiting... thinks me might head down to the bottleshop and pick up a carton of beer to keep myself amused while I wait.... :guitar:

buellman
April 29th, 2010, 08:35 AM
For those of you planing to refresh until release: get some more coffee/popcorn/ ... could take a few hours from now on :-) Why?

If you look here (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/) and search for the release announcements you will find that they are pretty much the same on every release:

Ubuntu 9.10 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Oct 29 14:25:46 GMT 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Apr 23 13:53:26 BST 2009

Ubuntu 8.10 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Oct 30 14:11:31 GMT 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Apr 24 13:17:20 BST 2008

Ubuntu 7.10 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Oct 18 12:15:03 BST 2007

Ubuntu 7.04 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Apr 19 15:18:16 BST 2007

So... wild guess: 10.04 will be official released at 14:00:00 GMT +/- 1 or 2 hours :-)

Greets. Buellman

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I now predict it will be out at 3pm GMT.........................11pm Perth time.

There should be a prise for who get closest.

What about a free copy of Windows................hehehehe

utkatt
April 29th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I agree with Eupho, 3PM GMT, that'll be 8:30 here in India, when i get home from office. Nice time.

dewgenenny
April 29th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Agghh bummer, thanks for the heads up though, looks like my install will have to be tomorrow now :(

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I am going out to Band tonight. be home about 11pm. Going too play the instrument which is a Eupho (or full name Euphonium) in my avatar thingy. Just a pointless fact for those trying to kill time

Anyway i will keep refreshing for a bit longer..

beeno
April 29th, 2010, 08:45 AM
ahh so can't wait.
hope it's not long now.

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Should be around midnight for me (sydney). awesome timing. i finish band practise at midnight. so that means. as soon as i get home. i HOPEFULLY WILL BE UP! that gives me an awesome early morning tinkering.

Baldrick_NZ
April 29th, 2010, 08:54 AM
For those of you planing to refresh until release: get some more coffee/popcorn/ ... could take a few hours from now on :-) Why?

If you look here (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/) and search for the release announcements you will find that they are pretty much the same on every release:

Ubuntu 9.10 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Oct 29 14:25:46 GMT 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Apr 23 13:53:26 BST 2009

Ubuntu 8.10 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Oct 30 14:11:31 GMT 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Apr 24 13:17:20 BST 2008

Ubuntu 7.10 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Oct 18 12:15:03 BST 2007

Ubuntu 7.04 released
Ubuntu Announcements
Thu Apr 19 15:18:16 BST 2007

So... wild guess: 10.04 will be official released at 14:00:00 GMT +/- 1 or 2 hours :-)

Greets. Buellman

Hmmm... yes, possibly. But then, that would be somewhat misleading considering it would be a day late in some parts of the world. 3pm UTC would technically mean both Eastern Australia and NZ wouldn't get to see it on the 29th, as advertised, but instead a day late (on the 30th).

This is where a gradual release timezone by timezone (by IP address) would be a great way of distribution, without risk of jamming the servers all at once.

utkatt
April 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I'm having trouble with my network applet in the unstable release, it's icon keeps changing to battery's icon in notification area.

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hmmm... yes, possibly. But then, that would be somewhat misleading considering it would be a day late in some parts of the world. 3pm UTC would technically mean both Eastern Australia and NZ wouldn't get to see it on the 29th, as advertised, but instead a day late (on the 30th).

This is where a gradual release timezone by timezone (by IP address) would be a great way of distribution, without risk of jamming the servers all at once.

problem is that it would take alot of organising. as well as if someone gets the torrent, he will post it and the whole system will fail. but i do like the idea if it can be excecuted correctly

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Should be around midnight for me (sydney). awesome timing. i finish band practise at midnight. so that means. as soon as i get home. i HOPEFULLY WILL BE UP! that gives me an awesome early morning tinkering.

What do you play and with who?

oh still waiting.........lol

neglesaks
April 29th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Cap'n, she cannae take much more o' this!

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM

a band called Remains the Day, i play guitar do vocals... ohhh and we are very different to you. we play Death Metal :).

utkatt
April 29th, 2010, 09:02 AM

hey a nice bunch of musicians here, nice thing

I play drums

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM
learning guitar myself, with this one: http://openmindedbrain.info/24/04/2010/baton-rouge-r14ce-black/

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM
a band called Remains the Day, i play guitar do vocals... ohhh and we are very different to you. we play Death Metal :).

Death metal goes a bit far for me. Heavy metal is great, but good onya music is music and it keeps us happy.

Still waiting Ubuntu.

having a bit of a play with PClinuxOS 2010 while i am waiting. Looks great but I am a Ubuntu guy.

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
im sitting at work. i know for me it will be a few hours still. i just got everything set up so it will be a quick process later tonight. im so pumped about separating my partitions. i know that sounds weird. but like ive never done it. going to be absolutly reppin. as soon as i figure out how to change my apache web directory from the system drive over to my home folder. that would make like easier

Chauncellor
April 29th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Well, hello, there :). Classical clarinet, here! A little dabbling in Klezmer, too....

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Don't you mean Vo-Kills

neglesaks
April 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Just use the update manager. it should ahve the option to upgrade. if it does not you have to make it look for a new version. im not 100% on how to do that. so im not going to give advice

The update manager fetches updates off the repositories, and immediately following release and a number of days after that, they will be swamped with people downloading off it.

If you want to update your system with least hassle, use the Update Manager, but wait a few days.

Else, help everyone and download the final ISO's via bittorrent. It's also enomuously faster.

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Don't you mean Vo-Kills

Thats the one. by any chance ur not looking at the myspace.

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 09:17 AM
The update manager fetches updates off the repositories, and immediately following release and a number of days after that, they will be swamped with people downloading off it.

If you want to update your system with least hassle, use the Update Manager, but wait a few days.

Else, help everyone and download the final ISO's via bittorrent. It's also enomuously faster.

Great Advice! this is my plan. Also you get a nice new and clean base to start from.

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Thats the one. by any chance ur not looking at the myspace.

Yep. I am guessing you are Rob.

Looks interesting. Seriously professional keep up the good work.

neglesaks
Great Advice! this is my plan. Also you get a nice new and clean base to start from.

Indeed.

There is some way to update off CD or DVD, as well, I usually just wipe my system (after a very meticulous backup of personal data) and reinstall.

But hey, I'm a perfectionist.

utkatt

Right, as while I'm updating to unstable release, I've found that they've stopped support for many apps. So I'm planning to start it from the scratch too.

133794m3r
April 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Death metal goes a bit far for me. Heavy metal is great, but good onya music is music and it keeps us happy.

Still waiting Ubuntu.

having a bit of a play with PClinuxOS 2010 while i am waiting. Looks great but I am a Ubuntu guy.

i looked it up and well i don't like redhat based distros even though it says it's different from it i can't bring myself to dare try rpm based systems. It does seem to be ok, only if it was based on debs...

eXDee
April 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
i looked it up and well i don't like redhat based distros even though it says it's different from it i can't bring myself to dare try rpm based systems. It does seem to be ok, only if it was based on debs...

I've never used debs before. This will be my first time actually rolling out ubuntu properly and not just playing with it.

Previous experience has been some Fedora desktop work, and currently a CentOS VPS which will soon become 10.04.

I like RPM's, they seem to work well. I just don't like CentOS' repository.

I'm hoping rpm > deb will be simple as.

Also 10.04 appears to be on the mirror distribution server, though i have to wait for our VPS provider to get it themselves anyway so....

Eupho
April 29th, 2010, 09:29 AM

yeh. feel the same way

thunderbox
April 29th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Yep. I am guessing you are Rob.

Looks interesting. Seriously professional keep up the good work.

Thankyou very much. we are working on getting an album done. it keeps me busy. takes me away from my day job (web designer) so yea good fun.

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
For the ones that can't wait anymore, try looking into the new Ubuntu 10.04 manual just released: http://ubuntu-manual.org/ or just do as I do, playing the guitar (http://openmindedbrain.info/24/04/2010/baton-rouge-r14ce-black/) helps the waiting a little.

P.S: for the interested... it's a great quality German brand guitar.

coalitians
April 29th, 2010, 09:36 AM
hey a suggestion
May be they should consider removing download ubuntu 9.10 in ubuntu home page. This may cause unnecessary wastage of time and frustration for unwary
linux newbies. Atleast they should give a warning of downloading ubuntu 9.10 before a week if not a month.

jppr
April 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
LTS has been outdoors and have already downloaded 2 days ago :popcorn: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/
published version is the same as that already two days old live-cd

133794m3r
April 29th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I've never used debs before. This will be my first time actually rolling out ubuntu properly and not just playing with it.

Previous experience has been some Fedora desktop work, and currently a CentOS VPS which will soon become 10.04.

I like RPM's, they seem to work well. I just don't like CentOS' repository.

I'm hoping rpm > deb will be simple as.

Also 10.04 appears to be on the mirror distribution server, though i have to wait for our VPS provider to get it themselves anyway so....
the only time i ever tried rpms was way back when i was first looking into linux. I heard about redhat being the goto for desktop linux versions. And well it didn't feel that natural for me.

Then i saw ubuntu and started on it and it just well worked and was nice. Although i had to compile my own wireless driver for my old laptop it was still a nice and good experience. Ubuntu just worked and debian is really nice and feels cool and natural.

RPM based OSes to me seem to be more geared to the person who's not so much about useability but a tad bit more perfromance at a cost for it. Debian based systems seem to try to go for usability at the cost of some performance ie they're not the more efficient distro on the market but they just work which is what every computer user wants at the end of the day.

RRJ
April 29th, 2010, 09:38 AM
well, cant pass by without any attention :D
JUST F*CKING WANT IT NOW! :D

jppr
April 29th, 2010, 09:40 AM
well, cant pass by without any attention :D
JUST F*CKING WANT IT NOW! :D

published version is the same as that already two days old live-cd

mgutz
April 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
It's been out for a couple of hours. Search on twitter. I would post the link here, but I don't want any trouble. It's in the .pool areas which I'm guessing is a staging area of some sort. I'm using the 10.04 64-bit in VMware before I take the plunge.

eXDee
April 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
the only time i ever tried rpms was way back when i was first looking into linux. I heard about redhat being the goto for desktop linux versions. And well it didn't feel that natural for me.

Then i saw ubuntu and started on it and it just well worked and was nice. Although i had to compile my own wireless driver for my old laptop it was still a nice and good experience. Ubuntu just worked and debian is really nice and feels cool and natural.

RPM based OSes to me seem to be more geared to the person who's not so much about useability but a tad bit more perfromance at a cost for it. Debian based systems seem to try to go for usability at the cost of some performance ie they're not the more efficient distro on the market but they just work which is what every computer user wants at the end of the day.
Fedora was my first linux OS ever. Jumped right in the deep end it seemed.

Things are super easy with yum, and from my limited use of apt, they seem to pretty much do the exact same thing.

tbh i think some people make a bigger deal than they need to over it, im swapping a server to ubuntu so i'm going to have to start getting used to apt and debs etc.
Shouldn't be too hard.

One of the first things i'll do though is to recreate the 'service' command. Im too used to typign that rather than /etc/init.d

jppr
April 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
system has already become the new daily updates. today does not publish new and fresh live-cd. I run system now new 2.6.32-22 kernel...

133794m3r
April 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Fedora was my first linux OS ever. Jumped right in the deep end it seemed.

Things are super easy with yum, and from my limited use of apt, they seem to pretty much do the exact same thing.

tbh i think some people make a bigger deal than they need to over it, im swapping a server to ubuntu so i'm going to have to start getting used to apt and debs etc.
Shouldn't be too hard.

One of the first things i'll do though is to recreate the 'service' command. Im too used to typign that rather than /etc/init.d
well if ubuntu's server version is anything like it's desktop edition, let's just say simplicity and just working are on the top of the list(or so seems to be for me in all of my experience in it). When i finally get some decent net connection in this area i'm planning on hosting my own server to do things. Right now it's 44.99 USD/month for a 1.5Mbps dn/.5Mbps up can't wait for some actual internet speed up in here.

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Ok.. we got 10.800 users online on this forum right now. Not bad...

congminh1709
April 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Some mirror servers released Ubuntu 10.04 LTS final
http://gravityfx.org/blog/2010/04/28/ubuntu-10-04-lts-final/

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.iso
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386.iso

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-amd64.iso
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-amd64.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-i386.iso

Have fun.

gazavn
April 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM
It's been out for a couple of hours. Search on twitter. I would post the link here, but I don't want any trouble. It's in the .pool areas which I'm guessing is a staging area of some sort. I'm using the 10.04 64-bit in VMware before I take the plunge.

OK, thanks, I'm downloading, but have no torrent, speed ~150KB/s, so slow

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
You DO understand that by downloading from http/ftp you are delaying the official release right?
Just don't do it!
At least wait for the torrent to be available if not for the official announcement.

Baldrick_NZ
April 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Ok, so we've now got less than 3 hours before it's no longer April 29... [-X

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Oh my.. here is only 11:07 AM

kamikazi
April 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM
so what is the link for torrents anyway?

Baldrick_NZ
April 29th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Oh my.. here is only 11:07 AM

Hehe... How does it feel to be typing into your future? Literally. :wink:

Irihapeti
April 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Maybe us Kiwis should just have an early night and get it in the morning.

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Hehe, never thought it like that... :D

Anyway, time has come to make a full backup on my laptop. Those times when you say OMG usb2.0 is SO slow...

tkoopa
April 29th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Some mirror servers released Ubuntu 10.04 LTS final
http://gravityfx.org/blog/2010/04/28/ubuntu-10-04-lts-final/

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.iso
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386.iso

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-amd64.iso
ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-i386.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-amd64.iso

http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/ubuntu-10.04-server-i386.iso

Have fun.

Those links are for mirroring, have a look at http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu-releases/.pool/:

Images are distributed here so that mirrors can pick them up in time before release. Images here may not be final even if they look as if they are; by distributing pre-release images here we can make final mirroring faster.

-- Ubuntu Release Team

neglesaks
April 29th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Quoted off PartyBot1 on the #ubuntu-release-party IRC:

*** Ubuntu-Release RSS feed, [29/04/10 11:09:13] : Lucid release DELAYED INDEFINITELY due to serious security flaws found

So, keep your mitts off those ISO's. Wait for the final announcement.

manuelb
April 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
speed ~150KB/s, so slow

HINT: search twitter.

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 10:19 AM
So there you have it. Waited so long to download a possibly not final version from the .pool? Just does not make sense. Wait a little more for the official anouncement...

Vortex_nc
April 29th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I don't have a dsl connection and my mobile connection is too expensive to download the release so my only option is to wait for the CD to arrive in +- 8 WEEKS have fun in the mean time guys and think about us lowly devils in South Africa. But I have to say the excitement is contagious, I'm feeling all jittery inside. :)

tubunu
April 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
..when.... when... when.... WHEN...? :) :P :lolflag:

picbits
April 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Much as I've delayed setting up my new business server as long as possible to wait for the official 10.04 release, I was tempted to download from the above FTP site. My old server is on its last legs and may only have a day or so left so I need to get a new one up and running asap.

I started downloading - its only an hour download but then my conscience kicked in....... I only managed 2Mb before this happened lol.

I've cancelled and will be waiting for the "official announcement" - its only a few more hours so lets give everyone else a chance.

I'll wait until the torrents start streaming then seed like crazy for a few days to help the community :) I suggest everyone else does the same :guitar:

picbits
April 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM
I don't have a dsl connection and my mobile connection is too expensive to download the release so my only option is to wait for the CD to arrive in +- 8 WEEKS have fun in the mean time guys and think about us lowly devils in South Africa. But I have to say the excitement is contagious, I'm feeling all jittery inside. :)

I'm sure if you ask nicely on the forums and offer to cover the postage, some kind soul will burn you a copy and bung it in the post.

manuelb
April 29th, 2010, 10:35 AM
*** Ubuntu-Release RSS feed, [29/04/10 11:09:13] : Lucid release DELAYED INDEFINITELY due to serious security flaws found

..just something to have people stay away from servers until rsync is done?

Mike BFD
April 29th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Yes, yes, Picbits' right, tell the folks where you are!
Somebody here is surely living not too far from you to burn a CD and post it!

picbits
April 29th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Well I don't know if this is related but I finished an install of 10.04 RC yesterday. Had MythTV, Webmin, ISPConfig etc setup and everything was hunky dory until ...........

It threw a wobbly and dumped me to a root shell on reboot/startup.

No password asked for

Full Root access (I haven't even set up Root as a user).

I rebooted 3 or 4 times and had full Root access with no asking to log in or password.

A little worrying.

dudumomo
April 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM
As you may know, there is an important bug with this release.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/570765

We've decided to respin the 32bit and 64bit CDs of Ubuntu Desktop *ONLY*, as we feel this gives us the widest spread fix possible and allows us to still release today (April 29th). Unfortunately, this means other affected variants, such as Xubuntu, will not have this fix, and we deeply apologize for this.

Dark_Koala
April 29th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Quoted off PartyBot1 on the #ubuntu-release-party IRC:

So, keep your mitts off those ISO's. Wait for the final announcement.

Are you sure???
I'm waiting since yesterday midnight! (or 29 april 00.00)

Zealhybrid
April 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
OMG!!!! I cant keep Waiting!!!!!! : /
hahaha... sorry... im very hyper!!! xD

beeno
April 29th, 2010, 10:49 AM
wow there is a lot of musos here haha
i play guitar and backing vox in a metalcore band also (:

might be good to get some muso connections around here hahahaha.

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 10:54 AM
So yes, people downloading it already are actually delaying the release and don't get the final, as they are still working on bugs, see here for example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/570765

There is a REAL chance you are not downloading the final thing if you download from .pool

Rusna
As you may know, there is an important bug with this release.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/570765
Alright this is critical. From my point of view, just take as much time as it requires.

No-one of us wants to have a Lucid that fires our dual-boot to another OS away, do we?

priegog
Yes, yes, Picbits' right, tell the folks where you are!
Somebody here is surely living not too far from you to burn a CD and post it!
I live in Spain... Don't know if time-wise being closer would help, but I'd be willing to burn and post a CD to Vortex. If you're interested, Vortex, pm me :)

metallica1788
April 29th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I think i wait till saturday, tomorrow it is queensday in the netherlands:) So its die-hard partying for me.

Zealhybrid
April 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Awww... too bad about those bugs.... I've been waiting this since Ubuntu 4.10 xD

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Last minute show-stopping drama because of the grub bug...
To release, or not to release, that is the question.

Baldrick_NZ
April 29th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Maybe us Kiwis should just have an early night and get it in the morning.

Yep, me thinks you're probably right. looks like there is going to be a delay anyway.

Would be really nice if they would announce it on their website and/or forums officially though, then we could all go and find something better/else to do!

Zealhybrid
April 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM
F5 f5 f5 f5 !!! :o

beeno
April 29th, 2010, 11:03 AM
F5 f5 f5 f5 !!! :o

hahaha xDD

Kajoo
April 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Would be really nice if they would announce it on their website and/or forums officially though, then we could all go and find something better/else to do!
Heheh exactly I'm just sitting and refreshing Ubuntu website ;P

Zealhybrid
April 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM
hahahahahaha!!!

oshirowanen
April 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I have a long wait as I will not be upgrading until 10.04.1 which will be available on 2010-07-29. I am currently running 8.04.4.

jppr
April 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Last minute show-stopping drama because of the grub bug...
To release, or not to release, that is the question.

update your system and you have new grub ; )
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/grub2/1.98-1ubuntu6

picbits
April 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM

If everyones doing this, the Ubuntu website is going to crash.

They are running it on Windows Server don't you know ;)

Zealhybrid
April 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM

:O !!!!!! XDDDDD....

This blank CD has been waiting in my drive since yesterday!!! : /

Kajoo
April 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM

I didn't know :P So i have to limit refreshing :P from 1min to 2 min :)

This blank CD has been waiting in my drive since yesterday!!! : /
Haha same me :P This CD just waiting to BUUUURRNNN !:lolflag:

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 11:14 AM
So my update manager is working right it just isnt out yet correct?

mihai007
April 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM
not out yet.

I will install from USB so I spare a blank CD. (thinking about enviroment... I will actually use an usb)

tabibito
April 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Getting itchy to do a clean install. Was planning to choose Kubuntu this time to try the brand new KDE 4.4.3 but new gwibber in Ubuntu looks just awsome.... Aaaargh which one to choose....

Zealhybrid
April 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
not out yet.

I will install from USB so I spare a blank CD. (thinking about enviroment... I will actually use an usb)
Hmmmm... nice idea!!! .... :D

... USB .. format..... Ok!
...Lucid ISO......... waiting..... : /

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 11:20 AM
not out yet.

Ok thanks. I think i would have figured out that it wasn't out yet but i just woke up

priegog
April 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM
not out yet.

That's what CD-RW's are for (but to each his own I guess)
On another note, I don't know why they don't release the torrent FIRST (even if it doesn't have the support of the main server seeding it {as long as they've uploaded a full copy first}) so that people TEMPTED to download it don't have to waste precious bandwidth during the mirror sync. Making it OFFICIALLY available as a torrent first would have the added advantage of having a lot more people use the torrents.

KrazyPenguin
April 29th, 2010, 11:23 AM
not out yet.

I use CD-RW.

Not sure if they still make those??

Digikid
April 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
It is almost 7 now.....where is it? LOL!!!!!!!

beeno
I use CD-RW.

Not sure if they still make those??

im pretty sure they do, ive been using them for the beta builds aswell. (:

rajeev1204
This thread will soon reach 'race condition' till release is out :D

picbits
April 29th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Pretty sure they were selling CD-RW at our local supermarket last week :)

XeiaieX
April 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
serious?.... yes CD-RWs are still very much in use. .....

phillw
April 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM

So, best not wear out you f5 key. Looks like it may be a while.

:cry:

Phill.

Kajoo
CD-RW it's like dinosaur for me I heard of it but don't have seen for a looong time :)

lord_phantom
If anybody wants to download the final version NOW via bittorrent, here is the link:
http://rghost.net/1495001
But BEWARE! The only sites hosting this torrent are the Chinese and Russian ones. There is a possibility it contains some malware. After the file is downloaded, I recommend downloading the torrent file from one of official sources and compare them later.

BURNING TIME!

oleink
April 29th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I woke up for nothing

picbits
April 29th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I remember buying my first CD-RW drive for around 300 many many years ago (well I sent the MD out to buy it in an emergency lol)

Also remember paying over 7 for a blank CD-R and 15 for a blank CD-RW

And the good old days of booting from floppies as the Hard Drives were the size of an office.

I'll always remember the sale of my first Tandy 8086 PC :D