PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sharing a cable modem

HBSC
April 27th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Hello out there,

I read somewhere that a linux box could act as a router.
I have one machine running ubuntu, another running windows 7, a cable modem and a switch. Is it posible to share the connection between both computers by making the linux box a "router"?

HBSC
April 27th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I just realized that I missed a detail: the linux box only has one ethernet card... does it need to have two cards to act as a router?

dineshs
April 27th, 2010, 10:39 AM
pl read this
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8700109&postcount=13
I do what flabdablet(thanks to him) has suggested for sharing internet.
By the way,How do you connect to the net?I mean do you use a PPPoE software in the OS(similar to dialler with username and password )
OR Is your modem capable of storing username and password so that you just need to use web browser?Your ISP can tell this.If yes,then connect all the 3 devices ie PC-1 PC-2 and modem to switch and proceed

HBSC
April 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the link! It seems very clear!

Yes, my modem does store the login. I don't think I'll be able to do this, just because I only have on network card (eth0) in the linux box.
I might still attempt this, because it might be cheaper to just get an ethernet card vs. a router :)

pricetech
April 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
You could pick up an inexpensive router, but making a router out of the Linux box would make for a much better learning experience.

Just don't expect your ISP to support it in any way.

HBSC
April 27th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Very good point!

I might just pick up an extra network card as well and try this anyway just for the learning experience.

Thanks!

Skari
April 29th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I have been wondering about similar things.

Me and my girlfriend have each a laptop, me Ubuntu and she a Mac. Our cable modem on the other hand doesnīt store the login name and password and only one comupter can use the internet at a time. To connect to the internet we have to open up a web browser and type in the name and password on our ISP dedicated web site.

I could set my Ubuntu machine to act as a router by using eth0 and the wirelesscard. On the other hand my wireless card heats up rather badly and after a few hours it has heated up the hard disk to critical temperature. Thatīs why I would rather only use eth0. Is it possible ?

p.s. Is it simple to change the wireless card back to a normal state from Ad-hoc ? I have to use it when I take the laptop to school, or can I use it just like a normal card even though it is in Ad-Hoc ?

parul1234
April 29th, 2010, 03:54 AM
thanks just configured my 3 laptops with single modem today