PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Canon or HP inkjet?

SeePU
April 26th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I'm hoping some HP and Canon inkjet owners will read this post and comment.

I'm wondering whether I ought to get a replacement for my previous inkjet, a HP Photosmart C4480. I bought it used but it didn't work as soon as I tried it. I didn't take it back. I bought it for $30. The cartridges would not align and this is the first thing the printer does or tests for. Therefore, it doesn't work properly and will not scan properly at all. It did print but for all intensive purposes, it is defective. I was initially furious it didn't work but I accept it is used and although it's cheap, there was a 50/50 chance of having a lemon.

I would like to have basic inkjet options and what I'd like most is the scanner function so I am wondering if there's any inkjets that can be recommended. I don't want to spend much more than $50 and I just need something that will work. I will buy in a store this time if I get one. Also, I had some models in mind so please comment if you have any experience with them or know anyone who has them.

HP Photosmart C4680 - only reason for me to consider HP nowadays is for HPLIP and Linux support
HP Deskjet F4480 - apparently HPLIP works for this model - I don't need the fax function but the Deskjet might be more reliable than Photosmart series?
Canon MP250 - looks like a decent machine for the price... usually good at scanning and printing - cartridges may be costly but I know where to get a decent price on toner/cartridges

The prices for the above range from $50 to $60 at the moment.

Any other choices/options? Maybe Epson?

If I have to go any higher in price to get a decent machine, I'll probably forget it altogether but would like the scanning ability. I don't know of any scanners that work in Linux unless it's years old.

So??? :)

keplerspeed
April 26th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have a friend that got a free epson multifunction with her new laptop. It works great, automagically detected and set up by Ubuntu, just needed the epson linux scanner software for the scanning function (avaliable on their website).

SeePU
April 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Okay, what model is it, though? If I don't know, I can't find out if it's even available in my area. I am only looking at printers available locally.

Thanks for the mention, though. :)

pricetech
April 27th, 2010, 12:04 AM
HP is probably your best bet. You tend to have a better chance of them just plain working than with others.

I don't know what you'll find in that price range though.

SeePU
April 27th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I listed two HP printers. Are these any good? I don't expect miracles, just that the parts work internally. If there's a scanner, I want it to work. Not asking too much, I hope. :)

pricetech
April 27th, 2010, 04:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the printers you listed, but I suspect at that price point you're not going to find a really high quality printer. (you get what you pay for as they say)

Linux compatibility seems to be best overall with HP, so it should work. There are lists on the web and I think there's a community maintained list accessible from the Ubuntu site that should have those printers on it one way or the other. I don't have link but I'm sure if you root around the site you'll find what you're looking for.

The last standalone scanner I used with Linux was an old SCSI connected flatbed the name of which escapes me.

I can say however that my Wife's PhotoSmart works flawlessly with both Hardy and Jaunty, but it's well above the price range you mention.