PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Drive to drive copying slow

Frogging101
April 26th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I have 1 WD 500 GB drive, and another WD 1 TB drive. The 500 GB contains Windows 7 and the 1 TB is for backup. They are both hooked up by SATA. DMA is enabled in BIOS for both of them. I am trying to copy 153 GB from the 500 GB to the 1 TB drive. It starts at about 70 mb/s, then after a while goes down to 4 mb/s. It has been copying 6 hours and is not done.

Both partitions involved in the copying are NTFS. I think the problem may be that NTFS to NTFS in Ubuntu isn't very good. Would it help to format the 1 TB to another filesystem (One that is compatible with Ubuntu and Windows)? I can't use Windows because it will not boot.

Frogging101
April 27th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Bump... !!! Need answer !!! This is unacceptable !!!

2hot6ft2
April 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM
This seemed to at least double the speed for me, usually much more than that but at least double.
Right click on the top panel and select Add to Panel
Select CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor
Click Add then Close
Left click on the new applet in the top panel

Select either On Demand or Performance.
Or you can choose the frequency you want the CPU to run at.
You will have to unlock it with your password (naturally). And Authenticate.

By default it's set to power saving.

That's it. Slow usb transfers are a known problem.

Frogging101
April 27th, 2010, 03:20 AM
It is a SATA drive, and I doubt that the CPU is the problem. I will try it anyway. Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: CPU freq. scaling not supported.

2hot6ft2
April 27th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Also krusader is a dual panel file manager and it seems to transfer files a lot faster than nautilus does. It has many more features as well like directory synchronization.
Tools > Synchronize Directories
Click this to install krusader (apt:krusader)

It will be in
Applications > Accessories > Krusader

Frogging101
April 27th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Thanks, I will try it and let you know.

2hot6ft2
April 27th, 2010, 03:25 AM
EDIT: CPU freq. scaling not supported.
Bummer. That's too bad because it does work. I have transferred files and changed it back and forth and watched the speed change accordingly.

Like I said you're not alone. Click Ubuntu Forums link at the top left of the forum and on the right put "slow file transfer" with the quotation marks in the search and hit Enter. You'll find a lot of threads on it.

There's also this option (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8854959&postcount=3)