PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Gnome/Xfce experiences in 10.04

cyrilmethodius
April 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I am moderately capable with Ubunutu but I really don't like having to do a lot of tweaking. For that reason, I did without a lot of things like my ipod in previous versions. But, I have heard that those problems are resolved with 10.04 and that it will probably work right out of the box so I am very excited about that.

On another note as I plan to upgrade later this week, I have always gone with the default Gnome env when I installed previous versions and I know one aspect of 10.04 has been "light." But, I have an older computer and always wonder if I should try Xfce this time. If 10.04 is lighter than previous releases, is the difference going to be all that different in the two environments? Would there be any considerations with the other problems of having to tweak things in Xfce more often than Gnome?

Just curious if any of the beta testers out there have encountered any major differences between the two with respect to ease of administration and performance.

kerry_s
April 26th, 2010, 02:07 PM
if your system can handle gnome, then go with that it's the main supported desktop. xfce4 may feel faster, but it has no where near the convenience's that gnome has. i would suggest you try both & decide what fits you better, you might also want to take a look at lubuntu it's the lightest running lxde.
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06025