PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot create more than one extended partition?

x-shaney-x
April 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I am wanting to format my partition like this:

Primary - Windows
Extended - 3 linux partitions + swap partition
Extended - 2 data partitions

I'm using gparted and have created the primary and first extended partition with no problems but I am unable to create another extended partition with the remaining space.
It is only allowing another primary.

Thing is, before I wiped the drive, it was setup exactly as above.

x-shaney-x
April 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Well it seems I may be mistaken since the gparted documentation states that you can't have more than one extended partition.

So if I did it like this:

Primary - Windows
Primary - Data 1
Primary - Data 2
Extended - Linux

Would that be too much and is the any performance difference between having your main OS parition at the beginning or near the end of the drive?

mikewhatever
April 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Why did you want two extended partitions? As far as I can see, you can have one primary partition for Windows, another extended one, and within that, logical partitions for the rest.

x-shaney-x
April 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
More than anything else, I just wanted the data keeping completely separate from the os partitions.

I haven't played around with distros for a while but I'm about to and I thought having them on a separate extended partition would give a visually clear indication of where they are when it comes to partitioning and deciding where to install when installing new distros.

Now I think about it, it is pretty pointless really.
I'm going to stick to one primary and one extended, which is how I must have had it before (really there were so many partitions it was hard to remember).

Still curious about whether it makes a difference if the OS is at beginning or near end of drive though.

mikewhatever
April 26th, 2010, 01:29 PM
The angular velocity of a spinning disk is greater at its edges and gets lower towards the center, which means the beginning is faster. Not that you notice it.

i.r.id10t
April 26th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Only one extended partition (and it must be a primary) and then logical partitions inside of the extended partition.