PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quickest way to wipe a hard drive?

x-shaney-x
April 26th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm preparing to install lucid (as well as trying some other distros) but before I do I want to wipe out my drive.
Over time I have done a lot of messing around with partitions. Deleting, resizing etc and I have noticed it has gotten out of hand with way too many partitions than I need as well as little bits of unallocated space that are to small to be any use.
So I have decided to wipe everything out and start again but what is the quickest way?
The drive is a claimed 300GB (gparted reports it at 280GB)

Criteria:
1. I want it to be quick
2. I want something I can just run from a live cd

I did try dd to zero the drive but after leaving it overnight it still wasn't finished so I cancelled it to try something else.

I'm not talking about multi-pass secure erasing here, just something to basically put it to the state of a new drive.

Thanks in advance.

Grenage
April 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM
If you just want it cleared, simply repartition and format it. You could use Gparted from a live CD.

It's reported as 280GB because that's what it really is. Manufacturers rate them as if 1000 bytes in a MB, 1000 MB in a GB, instead of 1024 (someone will probably correct me with a more technically correct explanation).

x-shaney-x
April 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I did try that method before on another drive and I was unable to install win98 (yes that long ago) because of supposed data it couldn't read.
And the last time I did it on THIS drive, after rebooting it brought up the grub loader (nothing to load but still brought it up) so that method clearly leaves something there.

prshah
April 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Criteria:
1. I want it to be quick
2. I want something I can just run from a live cd

Standard Disclaimer: THESE ARE VERY DANGEROUS COMMANDS; DO NOT TRY THEM AS AN EXPERIMENT. THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS ARE PERFORMED BY PROFESSIONALS; DO NOT ATTEMPT TO IMITATE THEIR ACTIONS.

Quick wipe-out, from live CD, HDD unmounted (including swap partitions)
sudo swapoff -a
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=600 count=1 This will instantly wipe out all partition and boot (mbr) information.

For a more through wipe, to avoid possibility of recovery
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=32k note the blocksize parameter; this will speed things up considerably (no need overnight). However, it will still run for several hours, and it should be done twice/thrice for maximum effectiveness.

/dev/sda is an example, please replace with a suitable drive name as in your case.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THESE COMMANDS FOR NEFARIOUS PURPOSES.